Road Worlds

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
pjclinch

Re: Road Worlds

Post by pjclinch »

TrevA wrote:It’s live on the BBC Red Button. Just watched the Junior road race, epic ride by the American team. Another wet one too.

Some (very distantly) reflected glory from the M Juniors, top placed Brit Alfie George rides for Discovery JCC where I have been known to coach! *

Pete.

* though never Alfie, I ought to be clear. I do MTB for beginners, he's track and road and very much post-beginner. Don't know him well, except to the point that he comes across as a scholar and a gentleman
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Why so many punctures?

Are they all using super light race tyres? After all, we are riding these sorts of roads all the time, often in similar conditions to what they rare riding in, yet we don’t see that many punctures.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Feel so sorry for the organisers as the weather has really hit them bad even the fanzone has been shut. I was planning a ride to Buttertubs Pass on Sunday but the forecast is awful so will reluctantly stay away. Leaving home at 6am in the dark and rain for a 35 mile each way ride, then standing in the rain all day doesn't appeal. Such a shame as millions were expected to watch over the weekend.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Awful weather, yes, but it’s made for superb racing. Each winner has really deserved the win.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

after an eventful U23 men's race, in foul weather, Nils Eekhoff (NL) won the sprint from a small group, with Tom Pidcock (GB) in fourth. As I type this, the race has been finished for over 40 minutes and the jury is still making its mind up about the result.

Speculation is that Eekhoff may have spent too long behind his team car after a crash; one of the US women's team got DQ'd earlier for this kind of thing. We shall see. There happens not to be a Dutchman on the seven man jury, but many of the other nations in the final group are represented in the jury.

When the race started, I wondered if it would be finished before it gets dark. I'm still wondering that...

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Yes, confirmed that Eekhof has been DQ’d. A shame to let the rider get to the finish, win the race and then DQ him.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

update; Eekhoff has been DQ'd and this (controversially) means Battistella is the champion, the Swiss chap Bissegger gets silver and Pidcock gets bronze.

The Dutch won't be happy; this may rumble on and on.
Last edited by Brucey on 27 Sep 2019, 7:06pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I can understand the Dutch fans booing the announcement of the jury decision to disqualify their rider, but it's very sad to hear them booing his replacement, who didn't make anyone hold or draft a car.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I agree, Battistella shouldn't have been booed. In fact Eekhoff could have altered the result because he was riding strongly in a small group that joined the four leaders close to the finish. Fortunately (I think) the three podium places eventually went to three from the original group of four; had this not be the case then the final result could have been declared unfair, with arguments that Eekhoff should have been DQ'd earlier. Konychev was (I think) DQ'd earlier in the race because he rode on the pavement; if Eekhoff had infringed the rules why was he allowed to continue?

cheers
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

if Eekhoff had infringed the rules why was he allowed to continue?

I can only imagine it went unnoticed until perhaps it was pointed out from another country. Explaining the long time it took to find the evidence as it wasn’t already bookmarked. Pictures were tweeted before the judges concluded so others had certainly spotted it.
Edit: it’s from 124Km to go...there is drafting of team car
123Km to go there is sticky bottle As tv pictures we don’t see the full time though. I counted to 4 on sticky bottle before camera cuts away.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

just watching the women's road race and in the preamble Chris Boardman did a piece to camera on the bike, as normal. What was not normal was that he did it in street clothes, not cycling gear, and he used an electric bike. So do we think this is good because it appears to make cycling more inclusive, or is he just using the opportunity to help flog a few more eponymous electric bikes?

cheers
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Brucey wrote:just watching the women's road race and in the preamble Chris Boardman did a piece to camera on the bike, as normal. What was not normal was that he did it in street clothes, not cycling gear, and he used an electric bike. So do we think this is good because it appears to make cycling more inclusive, or is he just using the opportunity to help flog a few more eponymous electric bikes?

cheers

Or both.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

right now AvV (NL) is out front with about 100km to go. I don't think she can be expected to last to the finish, not by herself. This would be a very good tactic if there were more NL riders in the chase group, but there is only one, AvdB. The peloton is now over two and a half minutes behind, and losing more time. If Vos and others want to be in this race, they are going to have to attack out of the peloton; I can't see the chase group of eight riders being caught otherwise.

In the chase group the dynamic is that AvdB is not going to contribute, but there are two Italians, so they are expected to work. Our Lizzie is well-placed; arguably they don't want to catch AvV too quickly, they are better off catching her once she is well cooked and can't contribute to a NL tactic if the race comes down to nine riders.

Sheep with rainbow jerseys; we've seen it all now....

cheers
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

40km to go and the eight chasers are just looking at one another now, and losing time to AvV even though she has been 60km in the lead alone. The Italians ought to be tag-team attacking now, else they are just racing for second place. AdvB is going to have fresh legs so if she is carried to the finish she is liable to outsprint anyone else.

cheers
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I don't think she can be expected to last to the finish, not by herself.

With 24km to go I think you were wrong there Brucey :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info