Road Worlds

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
iandriver

Re: Road Worlds

Post by iandriver »

Hobbs1951 wrote:It may have been a record: 46 finishers from 196 starters in the men's road race (yesterday) !?

John.

I may be wrong, but I don't think it's that unusual to drop out once your bit is done in the worlds. I'm sure I've seen David Millar and a few others drop out once his early supporting turn was done and they watched the last couple of laps on a big screen by the course.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
RickH

Post by RickH »

Brucey wrote:... When it is wet, race numbers are obscured, and rain jackets are as likely to be plain or from a trade team as anything else, so identifying other riders is trickier than usual...

One of the commentators (I think it was the women's race which didn't get the rain) said that the bits of trade team kit (mainly helmets) actually helped with identifying riders as the riders are more frequently seen in team kit than national kit.

There was a comment in the men's race that identification was easiest for riders from the team (I can't remember which one) that had the rider's name printed on their helmet.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

I spent something like 3 hours on the finishing circuit yesterday, trying to keep up via the commentary with a series of flash pasts of the riders. I was cold and wet despite being dressed for Siberia after riding (yes actual pedalling a bicycle) from our campsite ten miles away to be there and be part of things. We weren't disappointed, the crowd sizes belied the weather, fans from across the world mingled, shared phone feeds and umbrellas and cheered when Mads crossed the line.
During my few days chasing the racing it was clear that come rain or shine, the riders would be cheered on, whether they be the tiny Junior girls or the gritty seasoned Pro's. people on bikes from Harrogate and the four corners of the UK joined with locals and visitors from around the globe. It was great to see the riders we read about in the Comic each week there, in front of us joined by riders who, in reality had little chance of finishing the race let alone being in contention but there nonetheless taking part, the girl from Kuwait struggling minutes behind the field being cheered as loudly as the leaders.
Of course, the Gods were having a bit of a laugh with the weather, by the time we got back to the tents yesterday there was blue sky and it was drying rapidly and my ride back to Sheffield today was dry and sunny!
Looking forward to next year - what do you mean, its not in Yorkshire? Switzerland? really? :(
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I thought there is a story there, about the Kuwaiti lady rider; she went out the back on the first climb pretty much and must have had a lonely, somewhat overdressed-looking ride if she completed the distance.

Another thing that caught my eye was amongst the fans on the finishing circuit. One of the Belgian fans had a flag of Flanders (usually a black lion rampant on a yellow background) only in this case the lion's head had been replaced by the head of Ned Flanders from the Simpsons....did anyone else spot that?

Not sure it was this one exactly (in fact I'm sure it wasn't) but you get the idea

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:Another thing that caught my eye was amongst the fans on the finishing circuit. One of the Belgian fans had a flag of Flanders (usually a black lion rampant on a yellow background) only in this case the lion's head had been replaced by the head of Ned Flanders from the Simpsons....did anyone else spot that?

Yes, I saw the Ned Flanders The Lion flag and no, it wasn't only the head that had been replaced: as in your picture, there was a bare black bum on show this weekend too! Unsurprisingly, the host broadcaster (Eurovision Services, not the BBC) did their best not to show it, often clipping it out the top of shot.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I thought it was both a pretty good gag and had the added benefit of telling folks that didn't know that the flag was meant to be a Flanders flag; I'd guess there are more people (outside of Flanders of course) that know Ned Flanders from the Simpsons than recognise the flag of Flanders these days.

I wonder if folk who live in that part of the world take Ned Flanders' idiosyncrasies as some kind of comment on their regional identity? If so, maybe they have embraced it wholeheartedly....? I must delicately enquire this of the next Flandrian I meet.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~