RIP POU POU

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
DNC123

RIP POU POU

Post by DNC123 »

reohn2

Re: RIP POU POU

Post by reohn2 »

Yes another cycling great goes.83 is a good age though concidering what riders of the time put themselves through.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

Top story on Belgian lunchtime news (2nd a gas fault, 3rd leadership contest of the PM's party, 4th floods in Venice, 5th the Belgian royal honours list).

Did it even get mentioned on BBC lunchtime news?
Attachments
RTBF Studio display
RTBF Studio display
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Not surprising really,ask any chap or chapess on the street who Raymond Poulidor was and you know what the answer would be.It'd be the same story if you asked who Reg Harris was.
Cycling and especially the TdeF on the continent has a far higher profile than in the UK.
TBH if asked it wouldn't surprise me if less than 25% of the people on the street knew who Geraint Thomas was.
W H Auden
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

reohn2 wrote:Yes another cycling great goes.83 is a good age though concidering what riders of the time put themselves through.

We may consider them gods, but they still don't live forever!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mattheus wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Yes another cycling great goes.83 is a good age though concidering what riders of the time put themselves through.

We may consider them gods, but they still don't live forever!

I've never considered them anything more than dedicated athletes.
That's not to diminish their achievements in any way,but they are/were only human like us :wink:
W H Auden
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Poulidor was a great soul who was loved as a human as much as or even more than he was admired as a cyclist.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Worth reading about Anquetil too, they were different and complimentary, I admire Poulidor
I guess most British people have heard of Bobby Charlton, is that a good parallel?

The Guardian obituary of Poulidor is worth reading. Both his grandsons are professional cyclists
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote:Poulidor was a great soul who was loved as a human as much as or even more than he was admired as a cyclist.

Reading about him I believe so.
W H Auden
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

RIP indeed. He did well; a lot of professional cyclists die young. A great rider for sure, but Poulidor had retired before I started being interested in cycling; for me he was always yesterday's champion.

However we'll soon be in the position where the 'old guard' of professional cycling were the contemporary stars of my youth, which means that I will officially be feeling rather ancient myself....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Probably the greatest stage racer never to win the Tour. He was coming towards the end of his career when I started cycling but he was still one of the giants of the sport. RIP.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
pete75

Post by pete75 »

TrevA wrote:Probably the greatest stage racer never to win the Tour. He was coming towards the end of his career when I started cycling but he was still one of the giants of the sport. RIP.

Unlucky too. His tour bête noire Anquetil retired then Merckx came along. There's a good quote about him in the film A Sunday in Hell about the 1976 edition of Paris Roubaix "Raymond Poulidor, forty years old but still among the best."

[youtube]zxBTVU9JDrA[/youtube]
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

He was sort of lucky to be the eternal second, he was so popular

Roger Pingeon won le grand Boucle but was far less famous than Poulidor :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
DNC123

Post by DNC123 »

As mentioned elsewhere, the photo of Pou Pou and Anquetil dueling up the mountain in the 63(?) Tour is one of the best ever sports photos in any event anywhere, anytime.

Google Anquetil/Poulidor Puy de Dome for a video. Sorry, don't know how to post videos on here.
pete75

Post by pete75 »

DNC123 wrote:As mentioned elsewhere, the photo of Pou Pou and Anquetil dueling up the mountain in the 63(?) Tour is one of the best ever sports photos in any event anywhere, anytime.

Google Anquetil/Poulidor Puy de Dome for a video. Sorry, don't know how to post videos on here.

[youtube]KwJYQ4S-87A[/youtube]
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker