Cycling Time Trials - Red Lights are now compulsory

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
tatanab

Re: Cycling Time Trials - Red Lights are now compulsory

Post by tatanab »

mjr wrote:Are scrutineers allowed to toughen the rules as they wish then?
There are no scrutineers in the sense of scrutineering at motor racing. It is up to the club/event officials to enforce the rules. This is usually the timekeeper.
RichK

Post by RichK »

Not looking forward to timekeeping the first couple of club events this year. I'm tempted to put a couple of poundland back lights & rubber bands in my box of tricks for any riders that turn up without a light.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

RichK wrote:Not looking forward to timekeeping the first couple of club events this year. I'm tempted to put a couple of poundland back lights & rubber bands in my box of tricks for any riders that turn up without a light.

ReadingCC spotted a PlanetX special offer and bought a load for a pound each. Good thinking!

The rule is of course absurd - it is based entirely on subjective feelings about risk. There is no evidence of what good this would do, and the rule is appalingly vague. We MIGHT get the scenario of DQs by lighting-obsessed busy-bodies - most likely from the groups that have repeatedly pushed for this rule change at many AGMs.

I'm certain that requiring road-race legal handlebars would do more for safety (as alluded to upthread).

There may be a silver-lining to this; more people will race bikes that are actually good for something else. Eventually dyno-hubs may become fashionable, and all testers will take up Audaxing between big races :P
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

mattheus wrote:There may be a silver-lining to this; more people will race bikes that are actually good for something else. Eventually dyno-hubs may become fashionable, and all testers will take up Audaxing between big races :P

Do you do this? I've been steadily transitioning to audax. Last year I managed a pb in a 50 mile TT two weeks after a very hilly 300 (3D300) but didn't go so well in a 10 two weeks after PBP... 30 seconds off pb in good conditions :( .
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

I got into TTs the same year as my first long Audax (also my first PBP). It's fun doing a mixture - I doubt that it's the best way to train for either, but so what? (although the 24h complements audaxing very well).

If you haven't done the 24h, you should - PBP anciens tend to make more of their ability than those coming from a pure race background. And it's a great event!
Icsunonove

Post by Icsunonove »

mattheus wrote:I got into TTs the same year as my first long Audax (also my first PBP). It's fun doing a mixture - I doubt that it's the best way to train for either, but so what? (although the 24h complements audaxing very well).

If you haven't done the 24h, you should - PBP anciens tend to make more of their ability than those coming from a pure race background. And it's a great event!

I've not done a 24, it is sort of on the 'to do' list. I did do a 12 in 2017 and found it nowhere near as bad as I was expecting.... although I did finish on empty at the far end of the circuit.... the 7 mile ride back to the HQ was by far the worst bit of the day.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

mattheus wrote:The rule is of course absurd - it is based entirely on subjective feelings about risk. There is no evidence of what good this would do, and the rule is appalingly vague. We MIGHT get the scenario of DQs by lighting-obsessed busy-bodies - most likely from the groups that have repeatedly pushed for this rule change at many AGMs.

My own local evening 10 circuit includes a fast straight road which passes through a section covered with a pretty much 100% tree canopy, so even on bright days, the road through that section becomes quite dark. Certainly dark enough for a rear light to be a useful visibility aid. Overall, a rear light is not going to do anyone any harm, and might actually help in some situations.