Track world championships

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Brucey

Track world championships

Post by Brucey »

I've just seen the Danish team set 3' 44.672" in the team pursuit; their third new world record in two days. :shock: :shock:

Bimey!

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
TrevA

Re: Track world championships

Post by TrevA »

Perhaps too early to say, but is GB’s domination of track cycling over?

Women got a silver in the team pursuit but well down on the USA. The men finished a distant 5th. Men’s team sprinters also got a silver but quite a way off the pace of the Dutch, who also set new world records. Women’s team sprinters nowhere in either the team or individual sprints.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

TrevA wrote:Perhaps too early to say, but is GB’s domination of track cycling over?

Women got a silver in the team pursuit but well down on the USA. The men finished a distant 5th. Men’s team sprinters also got a silver but quite a way off the pace of the Dutch, who also set new world records. Women’s team sprinters nowhere in either the team or individual sprints.

It's Olympic year. There's a world champs every year. GB's focus is on the Olympics, which means they are aiming to peak for the Olympics, not the worlds. I wouldn't write them off just yet.

Having said that, the Danes and the Dutch are certainly the stand-out squads so far.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

It was a particularly poor showing from the GB women’s team pursuit. The men were comprehensively stuffed by the Danish team, but given the Danish team’s time, they would have stuffed a previous GB men’s team as well, so they were just too good for the lads this time. Let’s see how LK gets on in the omnium today though. On these results so far, the coaches have got their work cut out if they want results from ( and further funding as a result of ) performances at the impending Olympics. Knowing how things have been going in Manchester of late, I’m not surprised though.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

As I said, with several months to go, I wouldn't be too concerned about performance just yet. In fact, if they are still in the 'build' phase, then a silver medal position is a pretty good place to be. It's quite possible that the Danes just discovered a particularly good setup for the TP which suited the Berlin track and conditions. It's unlikely the GB coaches will have been targeting the worlds in Olympic year anyway.

Marcus Aurelius wrote: Knowing how things have been going in Manchester of late, I’m not surprised though.

Can you enlarge on this?
Last edited by thatsnotmyname on 28 Feb 2020, 11:02am, edited 1 time in total.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Weren't Australia braking world records at this point last Olympic cycle? We still won it.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

How things have changed! It doesn't seem very long since the GB team winning any medals at all at a world championships was something to cheer.
We have been spoilt.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Marcus Aurelius

Mike Sales wrote:How things have changed! It doesn't seem very long since the GB team winning any medals at all at a world championships was something to cheer.
We have been spoilt.

Yes, that’s part of the problem. Expectations are high, they aren’t performing accordingly.
Marcus Aurelius

iandriver wrote:Weren't Australia braking world records at this point last Olympic cycle? We still won it.

Not by the margins we saw yesterday.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

As well as the Helmets the Danes used heated trousers while waiting ...the heated trousers sounds good to me :)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rjb

Post by rjb »

Paulatic wrote:As well as the Helmets the Danes used heated trousers while waiting ...the heated trousers sounds good to me :)

And that was just the warm up. :lol:

Can't wait for the heated underpants. :oops:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

thatsnotmyname wrote:As I said, with several months to go, I wouldn't be too concerned about performance just yet. In fact, if they are still in the 'build' phase, then a silver medal position is a pretty good place to be. It's quite possible that the Danes just discovered a particularly good setup for the TP which suited the Berlin track and conditions. It's unlikely the GB coaches will have been targeting the worlds in Olympic year anyway.

I think I'd go along with that. You don't see the Tour de France contenders worrying about their form in February.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Yes, that’s part of the problem. Expectations are high, they aren’t performing accordingly.

You have no idea whether they are 'performing accordingly' or not. As pointed out earlier, it is unlikely that the worlds will be a focus or a target for 'peak' performance in an olympic year. Your own expectations might have been high - but that doesn't mean everyone else's were.
Marcus Aurelius

mattheus wrote:
thatsnotmyname wrote:As I said, with several months to go, I wouldn't be too concerned about performance just yet. In fact, if they are still in the 'build' phase, then a silver medal position is a pretty good place to be. It's quite possible that the Danes just discovered a particularly good setup for the TP which suited the Berlin track and conditions. It's unlikely the GB coaches will have been targeting the worlds in Olympic year anyway.

I think I'd go along with that. You don't see the Tour de France contenders worrying about their form in February.

The Tour de France mob are annual performance related ( their cycles are measured year to year) These track performances are more concerning, as they should be getting to the peak of a 4 year cycle ( excuse the pun). If they’re miles out now, they won’t be much better in Tokyo. That’s a key difference that people without experience of Olympic track cycling training regimes / cycles often don’t realise. It’s a long game, with a steady incremental improvements. What I’ve seen thus far from these worlds, is telling me that team GB is not in the same world beating form / at the level they should be. Don’t forget that the other teams can ( and will ) improve slightly by Tokyo as well. Team GB seriously has it’s work cut out if they want to hit the medal targets they’ve been set. Having LK injured isn’t helping either.
thatsnotmyname

Post by thatsnotmyname »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:The Tour de France mob are annual performance related ( their cycles are measured year to year) These track performances are more concerning, as they should be getting to the peak of a 4 year cycle ( excuse the pun). If they’re miles out now, they won’t be much better in Tokyo. That’s a key difference that people without experience of Olympic track cycling training regimes / cycles often don’t realise. It’s a long game, with a steady incremental improvements.

The thing is, Nick, you don't have any actual experience of the things you are talking about either. The 'Olympic cycle' and the podium squad's 'performance cycle' are not the same. In an Olympic year, their training will be designed to peak in July/August - not in February. And if some (not all, granted) of the squad are in silver medal positions now, then it would seem to be that the plan is more or less on track. Maybe the men's TP setup might need a bit of a closer look, but the champs aren't over yet, so it's a bit early to write anyone off.

Also still waiting for your insight into the 'problems in Manchester'...