Ride London Classic

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
roberts8

Ride London Classic

Post by roberts8 »

This race comes through my village and is a great spectacle but locally they are convinced it is cancelled. I know the charity ride is but I thought the pro race is going ahead on the 16 August as on the Prudential website. If I am correct I assume it will be a rolling road closure. Can anyone please show me where I can get the definitive answer please as so far I have failed.
Thanks
mjr

Re: Ride London Classic

Post by mjr »

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/raci ... our-457773 says it's cancelled. The definitive is probably somewhere on UCI.ch
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

Complete thread drift/hijack.
How on earth can this be called "classic"? Its virtually new. I wouldn't call any event founded post ww2 classic. Bugged me since day one :)
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattsccm wrote:Complete thread drift/hijack.
How on earth can this be called "classic"? Its virtually new. I wouldn't call any event founded post ww2 classic. Bugged me since day one :)

For some reason, a "classic" cycle race is the most prestigious of its type or area or at least claims to be. As it's the UK's only top division race and I think it has had a big prize pot, the London Surrey Classic gets to call itself so, taking over the spot vacated over a decade earlier by the Rochester International Classic.

Dissatisfaction with the term led to the oldest and most respected classic races being reclassified as the five Monuments.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Slight thread deviation / hijack here, but. I’m planning on setting up a ‘Ride Social’ which uses my ( slightly modified ) version of the PRLS 100, on the Sunday. It’s pretty much the same route, but avoiding the East tunnel up by the Olympic Park, the limehouse link tunnel, the A40 at Hammersmith, and the ‘wrong way up the one way’ at bull hill in Leatherhead. It should be a laugh to see how many people I get on it. Some of the Surrey residents will probably [inappropriate word removed] a chicken as well. This could be fun......
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

The event is about as classic as a modern Mini. Pure self promoting hype, just like CUK calling itself the national cycling organisation or some such twaddle.
Shreds

Post by Shreds »

Because of the inability of Prudential RideLondon to organise any part of this due to Covid I have set up my own solo event in Sheffield and anyone is welcome to join at a social distance of 10 metres for 100 miles of Yorkshire instead. (I am doing it in aid of NHS Sheffield Neuro Care, 16th June including passing the Sheffield Royal Hallamshire Hospital).

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/IanPrince

Incidentally why the need of RideLondon to hang onto all the entry fees for so long before refunding them (20,000 x £85) is appalling….still waiting….
De Sisti

Post by De Sisti »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:Slight thread deviation / hijack here, but. I’m planning on setting up a ‘Ride Social’ which uses my ( slightly modified ) version of the PRLS 100, on the Sunday. It’s pretty much the same route, but avoiding the East tunnel up by the Olympic Park, the limehouse link tunnel, the A40 at Hammersmith, and the ‘wrong way up the one way’ at bull hill in Leatherhead. It should be a laugh to see how many people I get on it. Some of the Surrey residents will probably <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i> a chicken as well. This could be fun......

Did it take place?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

De Sisti wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:Slight thread deviation / hijack here, but. I’m planning on setting up a ‘Ride Social’ which uses my ( slightly modified ) version of the PRLS 100, on the Sunday. It’s pretty much the same route, but avoiding the East tunnel up by the Olympic Park, the limehouse link tunnel, the A40 at Hammersmith, and the ‘wrong way up the one way’ at bull hill in Leatherhead. It should be a laugh to see how many people I get on it. Some of the Surrey residents will probably <i>[inappropriate word removed]</i> a chicken as well. This could be fun......

Did it take place?

It’s not until the 16th of August. Apparently I’m limited to ‘bubbles’ of 6, separated by ( insert random distance ).
Shreds

Post by Shreds »

Given the uncertainty I switched ‘Ride London 100’ for a personal Ride Sheffield 200k on Sunday 16th August. Officially its a solo ride but if anyone wants to tag along at a social distance for 1, 5, 10 or more miles they are welcome to do so. We will be passing the Sheffield Royal Hallamshire Hospital at some point as the ride is raising funds for their NeuroCare charity (Head injuries etc being very relevant to cycling).

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/ianprince

Anyone wanting route details or approx timings get in touch and I will provide.

Sheffield Hospitals charity media coordinator has been in touch with the media so we might even be lucky enough to get to feature on radio or TV, but who knows?

Its a good cause and they benefit the efforts directly. Thats what matters.
willswitchengage

Post by willswitchengage »

Another gratuitous bump/hijack.

Obviously last year's event was cancelled, but there is a complete drought of information about 2021 at all. Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if the event will not return judging by the limited information I can see - it looks like Surrey Council have withdrawn support already.

Obviously these events have always been very divisive but I still remember my 2017 ride as being one of the most incredible and unique bicycle experiences of my life - racing through the city and country. I'm not gonna lie, if this is due to nimbyism then we really do have a very sad future ahead of us.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

willswitchengage wrote:Another gratuitous bump/hijack.

Obviously last year's event was cancelled, but there is a complete drought of information about 2021 at all. Sadly I wouldn't be surprised if the event will not return judging by the limited information I can see - it looks like Surrey Council have withdrawn support already.

Obviously these events have always been very divisive but I still remember my 2017 ride as being one of the most incredible and unique bicycle experiences of my life - racing through the city and country. I'm not gonna lie, if this is due to nimbyism then we really do have a very sad future ahead of us.

Allegedly, Sunday 30th May (instead of the usual August date).
That's because there won't be a Men's pro race this year although there are still plans for the FreeCycle thing in London and the Women's Race around the centre of town. The Women's Race is listed on the UCI website: https://www.uci.org/road/events/uci-women-worldtour

Personally I can't see it happening, there's still no entry option for the Sportive and Surrey have been famously reticent in wanting it so even if there is a Sportive I don't think it'll be the original 100 mile route.

https://road.cc/content/news/ridelondon ... ond-276041

I did it 2 or 3 times including the year that it got shortened because of Storm Bertha(?) which is possibly the wettest I have ever been on a bike! Good course and great fun smashing it along Embankment.
rareposter

Post by rareposter »

Just announced on Twitter as being cancelled for 2021 - the whole FreeCycle, Sportive and Women's race.