British Cycling begins recruitment for "One of the best jobs in British sport"

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Philip Benstead

British Cycling begins recruitment for "One of the best jobs in British sport"

Post by Philip Benstead »

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/about ... WD,3Z1W6,1

British Cycling begins recruitment for "one of the best jobs in British sport" as Julie Harrington announces departure
BRITISH CYCLING BEGINS RECRUITMENT FOR "ONE OF THE BEST JOBS IN BRITISH SPORT" AS JULIE HARRINGTON ANNOUNCES DEPARTURE
Navigation: Home » About us
Published
11 August 2020
British Cycling is beginning recruitment for “one of the best jobs in British sport” following the announcement current Chief Executive Officer Julie Harrington will take up the CEO role with the British Horseracing Authority in the new year.
Julie, who joined British Cycling in May 2017, will leave in January 2021 with the organisation in a strong position as we head into an Olympic and Paralympic year.

British Cycling Chair Frank Slevin said:

“Julie will leave with the good wishes of the Board and everyone at British Cycling. With Julie as Chief Executive Officer, and thanks to a strong leadership team, British Cycling has made great strides towards our ambition of becoming a world-leading governing body.

“We have bolstered our integrity and compliance processes, strengthened our regional structures to better develop grassroots cycle sport and established a firm financial footing with a sound cost base, thanks to the support of our members, Sport England, UK Sport and our commercial partners.

“While we wish Julie well in her new role, I am excited to now recruit for one of the best jobs in British sport. The right candidate will be inspired by the potential of an organisation that enjoys a unique role in this country: we support some of our greatest athletes to achieve their best and that inspiration is driving the transformation of Britain into a great cycling nation.

“We know our work isn’t just measured in the sense of community that comes with taking part in sport but also in the positive impact more people cycling can have on an individual’s health and wellbeing, and on the places we live and work by cutting congestion and improving air quality.

“Like any organisation we have our challenges but, with the Prime Minister predicting ‘a golden age for cycling’, this is the best time to be joining British Cycling.”

Julie Harrington

British Cycling CEO Julie Harrington said:

“Wherever I have been since 2017, I have been proud to say I work for British Cycling. There have been challenges but it has been hugely rewarding and a lot of fun. With the team at British Cycling, we’ve achieved a great deal together and established solid foundations for the future of the federation as well as the sport.

“I remain in post to the end of the year and I look forward to supporting the Board in my succession, leading the team to a return to a healthy domestic sporting calendar, as we build back from a global pandemic, and ensuring the new CEO can build on the new enthusiasm for cycling we've seen in 2020.”
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Cyril Haearn

Re: BRITISH CYCLING BEGINS RECRUITMENT FOR "ONE OF THE BEST JOBS IN BRITISH SPORT" AS JULIE HARRINGTON ANNOUNCES DEPARTU

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Please, what is the salary?

I think Geraint Thomas has one of the best jobs
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
foxyrider

Re: BRITISH CYCLING BEGINS RECRUITMENT FOR "ONE OF THE BEST JOBS IN BRITISH SPORT" AS JULIE HARRINGTON ANNOUNCES DEPARTU

Post by foxyrider »

If its such a good job, why is she leaving?

just curious
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
mjr

Post by mjr »

foxyrider wrote:If its such a good job, why is she leaving?

just curious

Horse racing restarted 1 June, over a month before club cycling and almost two before professional cycling. You can tell which sport is currently "in" with government.

I like the way that the press release doesn't mention that the "sound financial footing" was achieved by basically selling director seats to the government.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
backnotes

Post by backnotes »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Please, what is the salary?

Looks like it was £303k in 2018 so I would guess a bit more than that for the next person.

Or perhaps a lot more, as it went up to that from £211k in 2017, so it may have to go up again to attract the right calibre of applicant.

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 16.57.31.png

Took a 10% pay cut in May and June though: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/52216592

The British Horseracing gig should be a step up again as the last but one incumbent was on £443k 5 years ago
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2015/ ... rse-racing
Jamesh

Re: British Cycling begins recruitment for "One of the best jobs in British sport"

Post by Jamesh »

One man imho....

Chris Boardman.......

Cheers James