Froome out of Tour

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
mjr

Re: Froome out of Tour

Post by mjr »

toontra wrote:
mjr wrote:
toontra wrote:Don't think he's been dropped by Ineos. Source?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/53830140

Yes, but the OP said he'd been "dropped by Ineos and is out of the tour". He hasn't been dropped by Ineos, just the Tour squad. Fairly academic as he leaves next year anyway.

If someone doesn't understand the meaning of being "dropped" from a sports team (which means being left out of the starting line-up), as contrasted with being "sacked" or "fired" (which means being unemployed), then there's little anyone can do to help.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
toontra

Post by toontra »

I clearly misunderstood - grovelling apology :roll:

"dropped by Ineos for the tour" would have avoided the confusion.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:Ineos/ Skys success was alwaysd the strength of their super domestiques. We haven't seen their hand, meaning the team without Thomas and Froome in. I suspect they'll be a stronger outfit without them and a clear line of their best domestiques in.

From the racing I've watched INEOS are second best by a margin.

I know what you mean, but I don't think we've seen anything like the ineos best effort, more of a fact finding mission. The magic question is have the others played their full hand. Were ineos training right up to race day with little or no taper. Way too many unknowns.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Lakelander

Post by Lakelander »

No surprises really.
Froome and Thomas are not on form.Brailsford wants to win and doesn’t go for sentiment.
If Bernal starts the Tour fit he and Ineos will walk it again.Pulling out of the Dauphine is just part of the
plan.
I’d like to see a Frenchman win it but it won’t happen again this year.Ineos haven’t shown their full hand yet.JV have.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

iandriver wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:Ineos/ Skys success was alwaysd the strength of their super domestiques. We haven't seen their hand, meaning the team without Thomas and Froome in. I suspect they'll be a stronger outfit without them and a clear line of their best domestiques in.

From the racing I've watched INEOS are second best by a margin.

I know what you mean, but I don't think we've seen anything like the ineos best effort, more of a fact finding mission. The magic question is have the others played their full hand. Were ineos training right up to race day with little or no taper. Way too many unknowns.

We'll see,though Jumbo Visma have stamped their authority on power :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:
reohn2 wrote:From the racing I've watched INEOS are second best by a margin.

Certainly agree we have the most exciting prospect for actual competition we've have in years. I was in Paris for Thomases win. I went knowing the wave of success couldn't last for ever. No chance of a Brit winning this year.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
1982john

Post by 1982john »

reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:
reohn2 wrote:From the racing I've watched INEOS are second best by a margin.

News that Kruijswijk is out evens things out a bit
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

1982john wrote:
reohn2 wrote:
iandriver wrote:I know what you mean, but I don't think we've seen anything like the ineos best effort, more of a fact finding mission. The magic question is have the others played their full hand. Were ineos training right up to race day with little or no taper. Way too many unknowns.

News that Kruijswijk is out evens things out a bit

They'd have been better with him but they've some serious talent that team.
W H Auden
rfryer

Post by rfryer »

mjr wrote:
toontra wrote:

Yes, but the OP said he'd been "dropped by Ineos and is out of the tour". He hasn't been dropped by Ineos, just the Tour squad. Fairly academic as he leaves next year anyway.

If someone doesn't understand the meaning of being "dropped" from a sports team (which means being left out of the starting line-up), as contrasted with being "sacked" or "fired" (which means being unemployed), then there's little anyone can do to help.

I'm with Toontra on this, beyond help, apparently.

Actually, have you heard, the whole of Team Ineos are about to be dropped? Half of them because they won't be riding the Giro, and the other half because they won't be riding the Vuelta. :roll:
mjr

Post by mjr »

rfryer wrote:Actually, have you heard, the whole of Team Ineos are about to be dropped? Half of them because they won't be riding the Giro, and the other half because they won't be riding the Vuelta. :roll:

The difference there being that the Giro squad were never in the Veulta squad and vice-versa. Again with the football analogies, it's not that unusual for a big-budget team to have different squads for different competitions, although there is usually more overlap than for cycling because teams don't normally have to play two games simultaneously.

Froome was almost certainly in the intended Tour de France squad, having raced with most of them at Occitanie, Ain and Dauphiné, and still asserting his fitness in interviews last week so can definitely be said to have been dropped IMO.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Bike racing doesn't compare easily with other team events because victory goes to to an individual, who needs strong team support at the élite level.

Presumably, it's been the perpetual million dollar question: Who will be team leader?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:.......... Who will be team leader?

For the TdeF it has to be Bernal with Sivikov second favourite IMO.
W H Auden
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

reohn2 wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:.......... Who will be team leader?

For the TdeF it has to be Bernal with Sivikov second favourite IMO.

Agreed with that. They are also taking the current Giro d'Italia champion Richard Carapaz, so aren't exactly struggling for talent compared to some.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

What I meant was that having won last year, Bernal at the very least going to be less inclined to revert to a support role. Froome has by far the best palmarès especially in major tours, yet G has a more recent TdeF win. Time marches on and Brailsford has avoided the obvious risks of rivalry within his team.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Cavendish out as well. Adam Yates is targeting stage wins, not GC, so might be the only hope of a British stage winner. Giro d'Italia might be better with Geraint Thomas and Simon Yates going for GC. We'll have Froome in the Vuelta, not sure who else will be targeting it, then next year we'll see how recovered Froome is on a different team so should hopefully get to race. The rumour is Adam Yates is also joining Ineos next season.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/53867606

Feel really sorry for Cav, he seems to have had years of bad luck.