2020 Tour de France

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Navara
Posts: 169
Joined: 29 Jun 2020, 11:38pm

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby Navara » 10 Sep 2020, 6:21pm

Paulatic wrote:
Navara wrote:[
He would have been wearing a mask which we are told makes it OK.If this is not the case then why are we wearing masks?

Don’t know where you live but we are told mask wearing reduces the risk. Common sense also says spending hours in a car with an infected person you’ll need a miracle not to catch it.

Common sense says Covid-19 is fast becoming Convid-19.
He was showing no symptoms so how would they know he was infected?That's my point.Those being tested are showing no symptoms so the Virus has naturally progressed to the next stage where people are catching it but don't know they have.That is good.That is what is needed and shows that it is progressing like every other virus has done for 1000s of years.The only difference now is the Media hype/frenzy!
As I said earlier cases are rising,death rates aren't.That is what happens.They wouldn't kick someone out for having a cold so why kick someone out for testing positive?
My guess is that they'll all have had it when the antibody test becomes available to all anyway.

Jdsk
Posts: 3801
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby Jdsk » 10 Sep 2020, 6:31pm

Navara wrote:He was showing no symptoms so how would they know he was infected?That's my point.

Aren't they testing lots of people... or are you suggesting that people who are asymptomatic and test positive aren't "infected"?

Navara wrote:Those being tested are showing no symptoms so the Virus has naturally progressed to the next stage where people are catching it but don't know they have.That is good.That is what is needed and shows that it is progressing like every other virus has done for 1000s of years.

Plenty of people who were infected were asymptomatic from the start of this outbreak. "Next stage" and "progress" don't come into it. And we're now able to follow every mutation as it occurs.

There is no evidence that supports that statement for "every other virus". And certainly not on a scale of months.

Jonathan

User avatar
Paulatic
Posts: 5466
Joined: 2 Feb 2014, 1:03pm
Location: 24 Hours from Lands End

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby Paulatic » 10 Sep 2020, 6:49pm

Navara wrote:Common sense says Covid-19 is fast becoming Convid-19.
He was showing no symptoms so how would they know he was infected?That's my point.Those being tested are showing no symptoms so the Virus has naturally progressed to the next stage where people are catching it but don't know they have.That is good.That is what is needed and shows that it is progressing like every other virus has done for 1000s of years.The only difference now is the Media hype/frenzy!
As I said earlier cases are rising,death rates aren't.That is what happens.They wouldn't kick someone out for having a cold so why kick someone out for testing positive?
My guess is that they'll all have had it when the antibody test becomes available to all anyway.


Perhaps you’ve more experience of viruses than I have?
My lifetime experience of viruses has been with cattle. With every new virus that came along deaths from it became fewer over the years because we discovered and learnt to use new drugs to treat that virus. Then we’d get a vaccine and have a comfort period til the next one came along. Then repeat.
Something else my experience tells me is lung attacking viruses were always most prevalent when you group animals together and throw in a few days of cold still weather. The Covid infections experienced in meat processing factories I believe echo that same experience. This winter could be fun. :(
They remove those testing positive from the Tour because that is the rules the race is being run under. Perhaps they needed more experts like yourself on the committee. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/

Jdsk
Posts: 3801
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby Jdsk » 10 Sep 2020, 6:54pm

Paulatic wrote:Something else my experience tells me is lung attacking viruses were always most prevalent when you group animals together and throw in a few days of cold still weather. The Covid infections experienced in meat processing factories I believe echo that same experience.

Yes, that's looking likely. Especially if poor working conditions ≅ "grouping animals together".

Jonathan

Jamesh
Posts: 1550
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby Jamesh » 10 Sep 2020, 8:03pm

Back to the racing this tour is wide open compared to tdf of the last decade stymied by ineos domination.

Mark Hirschi has been exceptional and won a well deserved win today.

Interesting to see how he compares to van Der Pol and Pidcock.

Cheers James

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5470
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby cycleruk » 10 Sep 2020, 8:47pm

Jamesh wrote:Back to the racing this tour is wide open compared to tdf of the last decade stymied by ineos domination.
Mark Hirschi has been exceptional and won a well deserved win today.
Cheers James


A couple of times I'm sure he locked up his back wheel on the descents. Certainly pushing it round the corners. A deserved stage win.
As you say wide open yet with 6 riders still within a minute of Roglic and Yates at 1.02 minutes.
Tomorrows stage looks a bit more lumpier than todays. :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.

Navara
Posts: 169
Joined: 29 Jun 2020, 11:38pm

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby Navara » 11 Sep 2020, 11:07am

Jdsk wrote:Aren't they testing lots of people... or are you suggesting that people who are asymptomatic and test positive aren't "infected"?

No I'm suggesting that we as a species are now "getting used to it" like with a cold for instance.That is what we do!As well as vaccines etc we build up natural immunities.
At the start of this it was said,maybe here,maybe another forum,some will get it and live,some will get it and die.Natural selection.
More are getting it and living than they are dying.Natural selection.The weaker have died.
OK so over time some will still die but not nowhere near the numbers that have.A bit like 'flu.Weaker and vulnerable folk still die of 'flu but in lesser numbers.Natural selection.

The trouble is now it's got to this it will be the same for every bug that goes around.That's the modern World for you :roll:

Paulatic wrote: Perhaps they needed more experts like yourself on the committee. :D


I'm glad you put a smiley on the end or I might have taken that differently :wink:
I'm no expert.I'm just one of those who are beginning to think we are being controlled for controls sake.As the months go on it's getting ever more ridiculous.
I know the rules they started under what I'm trying to say is maybe the rules were wrong from the start.In fact maybe they're wrong full stop and not just for the Tour?
Maybe it's time to just reopen the World.

Navara
Posts: 169
Joined: 29 Jun 2020, 11:38pm

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby Navara » 11 Sep 2020, 11:09am

cycleruk wrote:
Jamesh wrote:Back to the racing this tour is wide open compared to tdf of the last decade stymied by ineos domination.
Mark Hirschi has been exceptional and won a well deserved win today.
Cheers James


A couple of times I'm sure he locked up his back wheel on the descents. Certainly pushing it round the corners. A deserved stage win.
As you say wide open yet with 6 riders still within a minute of Roglic and Yates at 1.02 minutes.
Tomorrows stage looks a bit more lumpier than todays. :)


I think today might see some bigger gaps in the GC.

Jdsk
Posts: 3801
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby Jdsk » 11 Sep 2020, 11:21am

Navara wrote:No I'm suggesting that we as a species are now "getting used to it" like with a cold for instance.That is what we do!As well as vaccines etc we build up natural immunities.

There are plenty of people who have have individually developed immunity because of individual exposure. But that's completely different from "the species" having evolved any resistance, for which there hasn't been enough time, and from what you actually said:
Navara wrote:Those being tested are showing no symptoms so the Virus has naturally progressed to the next stage where people are catching it but don't know they have.That is good.That is what is needed and shows that it is progressing like every other virus has done for 1000s of years.

There's no evidence that "the virus has progressed" or that every other virus has done anything similar.

Jonathan

Jdsk
Posts: 3801
Joined: 5 Mar 2019, 5:42pm

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby Jdsk » 11 Sep 2020, 11:23am

Navara wrote:[At the start of this it was said,maybe here,maybe another forum,some will get it and live,some will get it and die.Natural selection.
More are getting it and living than they are dying.Natural selection.The weaker have died.
OK so over time some will still die but not nowhere near the numbers that have.A bit like 'flu.Weaker and vulnerable folk still die of 'flu but in lesser numbers.Natural selection.

By repeating "natural selection" do you mean that you find it acceptable for people to die when it's avoidable?

Roughly speaking all progress, medical or otherwise, consists of not allowing nature to take its course.

Jonathan

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5470
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby cycleruk » 11 Sep 2020, 4:35pm

What a day! Fantastic racing right to the end. 2 races in one and both edge of seat. :D
You'll never know if you don't try it.

tatanab
Posts: 4283
Joined: 8 Feb 2007, 12:37pm

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby tatanab » 11 Sep 2020, 5:26pm

I went up Puy Mary with touring kit about 4 years ago, the same way up that they went. I remember it was fiercely hard with that long steep straight before the single hairpin bend. So I could really sympathise with the riders, especially those at the back. I also remember the sandwiches in the cafe at the top were pretty grim.

User avatar
cycleruk
Posts: 5470
Joined: 17 Jan 2009, 9:30pm
Location: Lancashire

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby cycleruk » 11 Sep 2020, 6:50pm

I have just been told that Lancashire lad, Hugh Carthy (EF Pro), crashed last Tuesday and is riding with a broken elbow. He has trouble braking and climbing so today's result, 9th on the stage, was surprising. We had noticed a bandage on his arm and today there is a blue surgical support. Good luck to him and hope he stays safe.
You'll never know if you don't try it.

Postboxer
Posts: 1713
Joined: 24 Jul 2013, 5:19pm

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby Postboxer » 11 Sep 2020, 7:27pm

I think the two positives and the team is out rule has come from the French government. The race organisers had planned to reduce it to either 2 riders, or 2 support staff testing positive and the team is out, but the government overruled them. It will be a nervy weekend and Monday, it may become farcical. Any riders testing positive will hopefully then be immune to race in either the Giro or Vuelta. I wonder if antibody tests have driven any team selections.

Jamesh
Posts: 1550
Joined: 2 Jan 2017, 5:56pm

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Postby Jamesh » 11 Sep 2020, 10:48pm

Yea good race today Bernal under pressure.

Brailsford must be questioning his choices!

Yates still hanging on!

More to come over the next 2 days!

Cheers James