2020 Tour de France

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Brucey

2020 Tour de France

Post by Brucey »

starts this Saturday in Nice, which is, er nice for some. (Groan)

Ladies event 'La Course' is live 9am to 11-45am on ITV4 and TdF stage one is 12.30 to 5.15pm live with highlights most days at 7pm.

On weekdays the previous day's highlights are repeated 12-1pm followed by live coverage 1pm-4.30pm .

It promises to be an interesting race; chances are that we will see a first-time TdF winner; across the other side of La Manche folk will be keeping everything crossed that it might be a Frenchman; it'd be the first for well over thirty years....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cycleruk

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Post by cycleruk »

Day 2 is also Nice-Nice so twice as nice. :lol:
Our locals are rooting for Hugh Carthy and used to ride with our Club as a young lad.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Fingers crossed it makes it to the end without a COVID outbreak.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Flying-Robert

Post by Flying-Robert »

Oh, oh

The Tour starts in the hot spots area of Corona and ends in Paris.

Instead of cycling in the Normandie or Britanie.

I have some bad feeling about what is going to happen.

Just imagine if one of the peleton leader is positive. Will then the chances of infecting the whole peleton will be very high.

Is sweet moisturized also transferes Covid 19.

Hope not, have some bad feelings.

What do you think?

Greetings
Flying BobImage

Gesendet von meinem CPH1911 mit Tapatalk
mjr

Post by mjr »

Flying-Robert wrote:Just imagine if one of the peleton leader is positive. Will then the chances of infecting the whole peleton will be very high.

Outdoors, moving air and young fit men, but breathing hard at times and a bit closer together than recommended. It could become an interesting case study!

Is sweet moisturized also transferes Covid 19.

Huh?

I think it's most likely to spread in team hotels and on the buses, like the frequent stomach bugs do.

I'll be astonished if it finishes in Paris.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Does anyone know if there's a protocol for declaring a winner if it finishes early? I didn't know if teams would try to take the lead at the earliest opportunity in case it doesn't go the distance.

Also wondering if there will be a spike in cases after the tour has passed through due to spectators being too close to each other.

Don't know what the rules are on summit finishes and big climbs, are they banning spectators? Banning them from being on the road?

Seems if a team has two positives then they're all out. They are also counting breaches in protocol as a positive if I understood the coverage right earlier.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Postboxer wrote:Does anyone know if there's a protocol for declaring a winner if it finishes early?

Yes. It's at the commisaires' discretion.

I don't know the rules for climbs and finishes.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

It wasn't nice in Nice today. :(
The race finish was counted at the 3K mark and times were taken at that point. So, as I understand, the fact that the racers in the last crash would normally all have got the same time as the winners didn't count in today. :roll: :?:
Just one very unlucky guy out due to "out of time "
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

A nicer day in Nice today. 8)
My young friend Hugh Carthy did a grand job of bringing back his team mate to the peloton after Martinez had an off. But then both got dropped and couldn't keep pace after the effort, and both finished 3.38 minutes down on the day.
Alaphilippe earned his money today. :D
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

I'm intrigued to know how they'll get on the high mountains in September. I don't know how much colder it is compared to July, will be interesting to see. Freezing cold descending has always been a problem at the speeds they do, newspapers etc. stiffen down jerseys. I wonder if they'll be going for jackets and full length gloves.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I think things might get 'complicated' with the weather. There was major trouble with the weather last year in July. The grand tours this year could be affected even more, the Dauphine had monster hailstones a few weeks ago. Good to see Adam Yates going well today, I know he's only going for stage wins but is in second overall for the moment, if he keeps it up, maybe their plans will change.
hemo

Post by hemo »

Looking at the spectators today and there were quite a few at various points, certainly no social distancing or face coverings being used. Is it likely the French gov't might pull the plug well before the finish ?
mjr

Post by mjr »

hemo wrote:Looking at the spectators today and there were quite a few at various points, certainly no social distancing or face coverings being used. Is it likely the French gov't might pull the plug well before the finish ?

Here's a random pic from one stage. Fewer spectators and they look well spaced. Remember that people in the same household don't need to distance and it's 1m in France (I think) not 2m, and that one side at the finish is usually the race organisation (and VIPs but not this year) who I think are their own bubble during the race.

I doubt it'll get halted for this but there may be some sterner reminders to behave.
Attachments
tv grab
tv grab
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Summit finish today so we can see what the crowds are like there, if there are any, might be fairly easy to block it off to spectators. The crowds tend to gather in built up areas and on climbs. Certainly where I've seen there are crowds there doesn't appear to be much social distancing going on, though perhaps the crowds are a lot smaller. I assume to some extent, people are being encouraged to stay home/pick a quiet place to support the tour from.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

There have certainly been pockets of people not social distancing but I would rather be there than in a rave in this country.
Yesterday I cut the grass while the peloton had an easy day riding to the finish. Most if not all the action happened in the last 10K - must be mad them sprinters. :roll: