2020 Tour de France

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Navara

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Post by Navara »

Paulatic wrote:
Navara wrote:[
He would have been wearing a mask which we are told makes it OK.If this is not the case then why are we wearing masks?

Don’t know where you live but we are told mask wearing reduces the risk. Common sense also says spending hours in a car with an infected person you’ll need a miracle not to catch it.

Common sense says Covid-19 is fast becoming Convid-19.
He was showing no symptoms so how would they know he was infected?That's my point.Those being tested are showing no symptoms so the Virus has naturally progressed to the next stage where people are catching it but don't know they have.That is good.That is what is needed and shows that it is progressing like every other virus has done for 1000s of years.The only difference now is the Media hype/frenzy!
As I said earlier cases are rising,death rates aren't.That is what happens.They wouldn't kick someone out for having a cold so why kick someone out for testing positive?
My guess is that they'll all have had it when the antibody test becomes available to all anyway.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Navara wrote:He was showing no symptoms so how would they know he was infected?That's my point.

Aren't they testing lots of people... or are you suggesting that people who are asymptomatic and test positive aren't "infected"?

Navara wrote:Those being tested are showing no symptoms so the Virus has naturally progressed to the next stage where people are catching it but don't know they have.That is good.That is what is needed and shows that it is progressing like every other virus has done for 1000s of years.

Plenty of people who were infected were asymptomatic from the start of this outbreak. "Next stage" and "progress" don't come into it. And we're now able to follow every mutation as it occurs.

There is no evidence that supports that statement for "every other virus". And certainly not on a scale of months.

Jonathan
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Navara wrote:Common sense says Covid-19 is fast becoming Convid-19.
He was showing no symptoms so how would they know he was infected?That's my point.Those being tested are showing no symptoms so the Virus has naturally progressed to the next stage where people are catching it but don't know they have.That is good.That is what is needed and shows that it is progressing like every other virus has done for 1000s of years.The only difference now is the Media hype/frenzy!
As I said earlier cases are rising,death rates aren't.That is what happens.They wouldn't kick someone out for having a cold so why kick someone out for testing positive?
My guess is that they'll all have had it when the antibody test becomes available to all anyway.

Perhaps you’ve more experience of viruses than I have?
My lifetime experience of viruses has been with cattle. With every new virus that came along deaths from it became fewer over the years because we discovered and learnt to use new drugs to treat that virus. Then we’d get a vaccine and have a comfort period til the next one came along. Then repeat.
Something else my experience tells me is lung attacking viruses were always most prevalent when you group animals together and throw in a few days of cold still weather. The Covid infections experienced in meat processing factories I believe echo that same experience. This winter could be fun. :(
They remove those testing positive from the Tour because that is the rules the race is being run under. Perhaps they needed more experts like yourself on the committee. :D
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Paulatic wrote:Something else my experience tells me is lung attacking viruses were always most prevalent when you group animals together and throw in a few days of cold still weather. The Covid infections experienced in meat processing factories I believe echo that same experience.

Yes, that's looking likely. Especially if poor working conditions ≅ "grouping animals together".

Jonathan
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Back to the racing this tour is wide open compared to tdf of the last decade stymied by ineos domination.

Mark Hirschi has been exceptional and won a well deserved win today.

Interesting to see how he compares to van Der Pol and Pidcock.

Cheers James
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Jamesh wrote:Back to the racing this tour is wide open compared to tdf of the last decade stymied by ineos domination.
Cheers James

A couple of times I'm sure he locked up his back wheel on the descents. Certainly pushing it round the corners. A deserved stage win.
As you say wide open yet with 6 riders still within a minute of Roglic and Yates at 1.02 minutes.
Tomorrows stage looks a bit more lumpier than todays. :)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Navara

Post by Navara »

Jdsk wrote:Aren't they testing lots of people... or are you suggesting that people who are asymptomatic and test positive aren't "infected"?

No I'm suggesting that we as a species are now "getting used to it" like with a cold for instance.That is what we do!As well as vaccines etc we build up natural immunities.
At the start of this it was said,maybe here,maybe another forum,some will get it and live,some will get it and die.Natural selection.
More are getting it and living than they are dying.Natural selection.The weaker have died.
OK so over time some will still die but not nowhere near the numbers that have.A bit like 'flu.Weaker and vulnerable folk still die of 'flu but in lesser numbers.Natural selection.

The trouble is now it's got to this it will be the same for every bug that goes around.That's the modern World for you :roll:

Paulatic wrote: Perhaps they needed more experts like yourself on the committee. :D

I'm glad you put a smiley on the end or I might have taken that differently :wink:
I'm no expert.I'm just one of those who are beginning to think we are being controlled for controls sake.As the months go on it's getting ever more ridiculous.
I know the rules they started under what I'm trying to say is maybe the rules were wrong from the start.In fact maybe they're wrong full stop and not just for the Tour?
Maybe it's time to just reopen the World.
Navara

Post by Navara »

cycleruk wrote:
Jamesh wrote:Back to the racing this tour is wide open compared to tdf of the last decade stymied by ineos domination.
Cheers James

A couple of times I'm sure he locked up his back wheel on the descents. Certainly pushing it round the corners. A deserved stage win.
As you say wide open yet with 6 riders still within a minute of Roglic and Yates at 1.02 minutes.
Tomorrows stage looks a bit more lumpier than todays. :)

I think today might see some bigger gaps in the GC.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Navara wrote:No I'm suggesting that we as a species are now "getting used to it" like with a cold for instance.That is what we do!As well as vaccines etc we build up natural immunities.

There are plenty of people who have have individually developed immunity because of individual exposure. But that's completely different from "the species" having evolved any resistance, for which there hasn't been enough time, and from what you actually said:
Navara wrote:Those being tested are showing no symptoms so the Virus has naturally progressed to the next stage where people are catching it but don't know they have.That is good.That is what is needed and shows that it is progressing like every other virus has done for 1000s of years.

There's no evidence that "the virus has progressed" or that every other virus has done anything similar.

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Navara wrote:[At the start of this it was said,maybe here,maybe another forum,some will get it and live,some will get it and die.Natural selection.
More are getting it and living than they are dying.Natural selection.The weaker have died.
OK so over time some will still die but not nowhere near the numbers that have.A bit like 'flu.Weaker and vulnerable folk still die of 'flu but in lesser numbers.Natural selection.

By repeating "natural selection" do you mean that you find it acceptable for people to die when it's avoidable?

Roughly speaking all progress, medical or otherwise, consists of not allowing nature to take its course.

Jonathan
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

What a day! Fantastic racing right to the end. 2 races in one and both edge of seat. :D
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

I went up Puy Mary with touring kit about 4 years ago, the same way up that they went. I remember it was fiercely hard with that long steep straight before the single hairpin bend. So I could really sympathise with the riders, especially those at the back. I also remember the sandwiches in the cafe at the top were pretty grim.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I have just been told that Lancashire lad, Hugh Carthy (EF Pro), crashed last Tuesday and is riding with a broken elbow. He has trouble braking and climbing so today's result, 9th on the stage, was surprising. We had noticed a bandage on his arm and today there is a blue surgical support. Good luck to him and hope he stays safe.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I think the two positives and the team is out rule has come from the French government. The race organisers had planned to reduce it to either 2 riders, or 2 support staff testing positive and the team is out, but the government overruled them. It will be a nervy weekend and Monday, it may become farcical. Any riders testing positive will hopefully then be immune to race in either the Giro or Vuelta. I wonder if antibody tests have driven any team selections.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Yea good race today Bernal under pressure.

Brailsford must be questioning his choices!

Yates still hanging on!

More to come over the next 2 days!

Cheers James