2020 Tour de France

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
hemo

Re: 2020 Tour de France

Post by hemo »

Watching the live action yesterday there were man places where 30, 40 or 50 spectators were gathered all together in a large group.
Generally most are distancing and today one can see it, though again today with a little over 36.5k to go a group of soles maybe 15/20 strong show no sign of distancing.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Didi Senft in his devil costume seemed to have well distanced and was taking it seriously. All's well when Didi's well.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Contador86

Post by Contador86 »

Tom Dumoulin, Outsider hidden behind Primoz Roglic ?

French press before Stage 6 : https://cafecremesport.com/2020/09/03/t ... -numero-2/

For me, Primoz Roglic take the yellow jersey today ! But Dumoulin will be very strong for the end of Tour de France... :evil:
freeflow

Post by freeflow »

Tour de France, a series of 200km sportive followed by a short race. :wink:
mjr

Post by mjr »

iandriver wrote:Didi Senft in his devil costume seemed to have well distanced and was taking it seriously. All's well when Didi's well.

According to one of Ned Boulting's books (I think), the old costume is ripe enough to ensure good distancing itself!

His website www.tourTeufel.de has actually got on screen s couple of times this year whereas I think French TV used to try to avoid it because he didn't pay race or TV for the advertising. It was less of a game of cat and mouse than the caravan shop flag in the finish straight of the Flanders classics, but I still wonder why they're letting him on screen this year. Do you think they're going soft because they're happy to see him this year as a sign of normality?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Maybe they're warming to him. The tour hasn't really started until you see Didi.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

So what's with the awful enormous sunglasses this year?

Is it a semi-covid face protector thing?
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As with the earlier styles it's fashion: that's largely why they change.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

thirdcrank wrote:As with the earlier styles it's fashion: that's largely why they change.

And vividly demonstrating the difference between fashion and style in the process.
xerxes

Post by xerxes »

It will be a minor miracle if none of the riders contract Covid-19 following the ascent of the Peyresourde. The behaviour of the crowds on some of the climbs is appalling at the best of times, but the fact they were even allowed to be there this year beggars belief.
mjr

Post by mjr »

xerxes wrote:It will be a minor miracle if none of the riders contract Covid-19 following the ascent of the Peyresourde. The behaviour of the crowds on some of the climbs is appalling at the best of times, but the fact they were even allowed to be there this year beggars belief.

How many police would have been needed to prevent it? More or less than in the entire region?

The riders didn't spend fifteen minutes near anyone in the crowd. Outbreaks among the crowd seem far more likely. That'll be a fun one for contact tracing!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I would assume most climbs have limited junctions on them, so it wouldn't be hard to either ban fans on the climbs all together, or limit their numbers. I've never understood the 15 minute thing, I assume it's a probability thing, so it might happen in a second but is unlikely, but if you pass thousands of people, some of which may have covid, surely there's a chance a rider may catch covid from passing fans at the roadside, fans are shouting, riders are breathing hard.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

xerxes wrote:It will be a minor miracle if none of the riders contract Covid-19 following the ascent of the Peyresourde. The behaviour of the crowds on some of the climbs is appalling at the best of times, but the fact they were even allowed to be there this year beggars belief.

I thought the same thing. I've never liked the idiots running alongside the riders, one slip and the rider can be knocked off. It's worse this year as spectators have been asked to wear a mask when the riders go by and lots of these idiot runners weren't.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I get the impression that some people are watching the spectators rather than the race.
Syd

Post by Syd »

Wonder what odds the bookies are giving on the Tour being stopped before Paris?