Worlds TT (spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
thirdcrank

Re: Worlds TT (spoilers)

Post by thirdcrank »

I was responding to what seemed to me to the implication in Brucey's post immediately before mine. I'm often not very good at interpreting irony and innuendo even less. Perhaps I got it wrong here. I'll repeat that I thought that once the inadequate protection had been identified, then putting it right ASAP seemed the only reasonable course. Memory poor here but IIRC, the rider who crashed was right at the end of the field. Otherwise, I'd have expected the absolute minimum to be an extra marshal positioned to alert later riders with consideration being given to delaying later starts while remedial work was carried out.

If the safety provision had remained unchanged after it had been shown to be inadequate, that would have been intolerable.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Reacting with hindsight isn't always a sound approach to safety.
Of course in this case, as it didn't do any harm - and presumably their resources weren't stretched - it was indeed reasonable to extend the padding.

But do we have extra protection/signage etc at every RTA sight in the UK? Do we blame the highway engineers for every injury/death? No, of course not - that's not a sensible approach.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Closing the stable door of course, but in this case there were plenty more horses still in the stable.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Worlds TT (spoilers) (Handling Again)

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Back to my original post on handling I always thought it was more likely that the bike and maybe hence the riding position and position of arms and steering geometry in particular wouldn't help on that type of bend.
Tire roll off?
Haven't had one of those since the 70s :)
Plenty of tank slappers but mainly that is 100% on Motorcycles only.

Old story, particularly going fast into bends , my mate tried to go into a bend ten mph too fast.
So that's about 85 miles an hour, on a better handling bike 75 would be max.
I reckon he slowed to about 30 mile an hour, when he was thrown off the bike and his chest hit the crash barrier, badly bruised and out of it spent Day in hospital well a night really, that's all he could stand.
But miraculously no broken bones or internal injuries.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

thirdcrank wrote:Closing the stable door of course, but in this case there were plenty more horses still in the stable.

Ha! I like your analogy :D

2 points here:
1) every PRO CYCLING pundit I've read or heard said the padding was in about the right place; and
2) if you watch Chloe's ride, she lost control verrrrry early in the corner. If you stopped the video, you'd be expecting her to smash into the padding pre-apex. In fact with some of the spare hindsight sloshing round the cycling internet, she'd be more wise to just scrub off speed and squish into the padding there. Instead, she fought the wobble/slide/whatever and heroically managed to stay on for quite a while ... long enough in fact to bypass the padding.

Bikes aren't like cars (or indeed racing motorbikes); they're twitchy things at speed, riders usually fall off straight away. It's the exception to catch a slide and fight it for 10s of metres. Look how early in the corner Lopez slid out to hit that signpost (Nice stage of Le Tour).
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

kylecycler wrote:Also, can't not post this - the crazy climb to Assisi at the end of the previous stage - stewards wearing hi-viz vests with COVID-19 masks to catch the riders after they crossed the line in case they couldn't clip out - the slow-mo replays are epic. Lotte Kopecky didn't have anyone to catch her, 'stalled', managed to clip out ok but then just parked herself in the middle of the road, collapsed over the bike, seemingly oblivious to the riders picking their way around her until she got helped away. And although Mavi Garcia (reigning Spanish Road & TT Champion) has a dazzling smile, she also has the best 'pain face' in all of cycling!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBk-tvt ... .be&t=2590

There's something more heroic about women's pro cycling than men's, but that's probably a sexist thing to say.

That's brilliant! Probably shows why finish lines are *usually* on the crest of a climb :)

(reminded me of a men's summit finish in France this year - everyone was totally knackered, but only Uran had the presence of mind to just stop against a barrier 5m past the line, just stopped dead (but out of the way) to get his breath back. Couldn't ride another metre, by the look of him!