Worlds TT (spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
mig

Worlds TT (spoilers)

Post by mig »

on now on the BBC red button. quite an interesting commentary too.

yes i'm working from home today :wink:
Norman H

Re: Worlds TT

Post by Norman H »

Anna van de Breggen took the womens TT title.

Chloe Dygert's crash was strange and looked quite nasty. I watched the recording and it didn't look as though she was travelling too fast for the corner. The bike appeared to develop a shimmy as she entered the corner and she ended up somersaulting over the crash barrier. A great shame as she was on schedule for a very good time.
NATURAL ANKLING

TT Bike Handling (Chloe Dygert)

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/kristi ... -stronger/
Very bad luck and we all hope she gets better soon, all thats known at the moment is a big gash in her leg.
Kristin was suggesting that the tire rolled off?
What's your analysis assuming that she was going round the bend down hill on a TT bike?
Video-
[youtube]rEzFIQmDJYU[/youtube]
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Nessie23

Re: TT Bike Handling (Chloe Dygert)

Post by Nessie23 »

Ouch, very unlucky to impact barrier just after the padded section but also fortunate to land on thick grassy bank.
I would have thought a tyre rolling off would be visible in video. It would appear something caused the rear wheel to go out of balance instantly and would suspect a mechanical failure.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Severe shimmy?
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

thirdcrank wrote:Severe shimmy?

Yes, that was my impression.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

it looks like it is most probably a front wheel problem of some kind. The timing of the problem coincides exactly with the moment when the tyre would be expected to roll off the rim. The front wheel steps sideways first, and both the subsequent wobble and the way she stands the bike upright (knowing she'll not make the corner) is again suggestive of a front wheel puncture/tyre loss. You wouldn't necessarily see that in the video footage because the clearance on the TT fork is very small; the tyre can't get far off the rim whilst the wheel is still turning.

The Armco railings are (presumably for cost reasons) usually bolted together with large (typically hexagon headed) bolts; I would expect the leg injury to have been largely caused by the bolt heads, but the top of the rail doesn't have a rolled edge and would have slashed her too as she went over the railing. A real nightmare crash; I do hope she makes a good recovery.

I've not seen the course in detail but it was apparently a downhill section; had the (rim) brakes been used immediately prior to corner entry?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Official statement from USA Cycling:
https://usacycling.org/article/usa-cyclings-official-statement-regarding-dygerts-condition-after-crash-at-world-championships

Laceration to left leg, full recovery expected.

Jonathan
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I was thinking along the lines of it was a front wheel problem, is then affected the bike handling.
We might never know anyway if the tire was damaged in the crash.
It's not a mechanical problem I was thinking along the lines of use of the front brake going round the corner at speed down hill, might cause a problem.
A flesh wound so hopefully speedy recovery, Luckily no bones broken.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Dygert was expected to win the TT championship which would have made her on the second rider to win both pursuit and TT championships in the same year. As it is, only one rider has yet managed this, being our very own Chris Boardman.

cheers
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

More specific news of Chloe's injury from her father via the IndyStar: the quadriceps, the front thigh muscle which extends the leg, was sliced from one side to the other and a ligament was severed or severely damaged. A lot more than just a flesh wound (I've seen the photo of her leg taken at the crash scene and it looked horrible) but hopefully she'll recover fully. As Brucey suggested, either the two bolt heads used to secure the armco barrier to the post or the sharp upper/back edge of the barrier itself were what caused the damage. Either way, a nasty injury.

Here's the course. The corner where Chloe crashed is half way along the return leg (the course was run anti-clockwise).

It's the first element of the S-bend, a slightly downhill, almost 90 degree right-hander, deceptively tight - there's a tree on the inside that obscures how tight it is, and - just noticed when re-watching the video for the umpteenth time - the deviation sign was half obscured by the padded barriers...

What I don't get is that Chloe must have braked before the corner - there's no way she would have intentionally taken it 'flat' unless she completely misread it (or forgot where she was, having recce-ed the course) - and yet she was on the aerobars, which means she must have braked early (if she braked at all) to have time to transfer her hands. Surely braking later and staying on the flat bars through the corner would have been faster and safer? The aerobars she was using were connected at the front with a cross-bar and she was riding with her hands clasped over each other, in the centre, as opposed to side by side as with separate bars, although I don't know if that's relevant. It could even be that, realising the corner was tighter than she'd thought, she transferred her left hand from the aerobars to the left (front) brake, which would itself almost inevitably have caused a loss of control, but we can't see her left arm. Or it could have been a tyre, as has been speculated.

This is the corner approach on Google Street View - if you scroll through, you'll see it looks less tight than it is (although note the deviation sign, but see above)...

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.302746, ... 312!8i6656

...and this is looking back at the corner from where she went off - if you rotate the view to the right you'll see the post her bike almost hit.

https://www.google.com/maps/@44.3030323 ... 312!8i6656

She fought it for so long that she was some way past the corner before she went off. For sure the padding should have extended further but maybe still not far enough. It will be interesting to see if they've extended it for the men's TT this afternoon.

Here's hoping she'll fully recover and be fit and well next year for the Olympics (if next year happens) - that's what matters.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Just watching the replay on the red button. Was it the commentator's curse? Boardman had just added a 'barring incidents' caveat to his commentary, and had also mentioned that the course was 'rather non-technical'. His immediate reaction was that the front tyre had a problem of some kind, and that there might have been a few spots of rain about too.

Looking at the replay she did look like she was going a bit quick into that turn, and the combination of a poor sight line and small slip may just have provoked the crash. It doesn't get any prettier when you see it again though; nightmare stuff.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Seems the padding was badly positioned on the corner, although not sure they would expect anyone to make it that far around the corner. There seems little point in padding the start of the corner. There's also the possibility of her injury being caused by something on the slope she fell down.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... Was it the commentator's curse? ...

I thought I heard a commentator use a word unsuitable for a family-friendly forum
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Boardman, you beat me to it.
Men's TT starts in five minutes, I think the road race is Sunday.