Giro d'Italia

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
roger

Re: Giro d'Italia

Post by roger »

Tried channel12 earlier. Weak signal message, also on other channels. will have an ask around tomorrow.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

the 'unknown talent' is currently world pursuit champion and world TT champion. Mind you at 82kg the way he goes up hills is very surprising indeed.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

Brucey wrote:the 'unknown talent' is currently world pursuit champion and world TT champion. Mind you at 82kg the way he goes up hills is very surprising indeed.

cheers

I thought it was an extraordinary ride from Ganna.The conditions were horrendous at times but nothing seemed to phase him.Now that Ineos have no GC aspirations we’ll hopefully see more of the same!?Makes for a much more exciting Tour.
mig

Post by mig »

Brucey wrote:the 'unknown talent' is currently world pursuit champion and world TT champion. Mind you at 82kg the way he goes up hills is very surprising indeed.

cheers

over the years i have learned to dislike the "very surprising indeed" element of grand tour riding.

i really, really hope not.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

cheers

Perhaps a bad choice of wording on my part,perhaps I should've said surprising talent amongst the talent on the road with him,especially in the terrain that really shouldn't suit him,as you say at 82kg on paper he should never have won,but this is a rider with awesome talent.
He just rode away from DeGent and the Rubio and especially his team mate Puccio who he'd been there to look after.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mig wrote:

cheers

over the years i have learned to dislike the "very surprising indeed" element of grand tour riding.

i really, really hope not.

Reading between the lines I hope you're right.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I think there are still disparities in how different riders handled being in and coming out of lockdown, potentially magnifying differences between riders.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Shame about Yates, it's testing day today so hopefully there won't be any more positives. Well done to Alex Dowsett on a great stage win, hopefully someone will sign him up for next year. Think British fans have been spoilt by so much success in recent years, there were times when the odd stage win was all we could hope for.

Seems it hasn't really kicked off yet.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

All riders and staff at the Giro were tested for coronavirus on Sunday and Monday. A total of 571 tests were conducted. Sadly, Mitchelton-Scott and Jumbo-Visma have now withdrawn from the Giro after positive tests. Sunweb will continue for now although one of their riders, Michael Matthews, tested positive.

https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/all-of- ... positives/

In other news, for those who haven't heard, Paris-Roubaix was cancelled a few days ago. All being well, fingers crossed, it will be held next April. The planned women's event - the first ever Women's Paris-Roubaix - should also now be held in April, the day before the men's race.

https://www.paris-roubaix.fr/en/news/20 ... -2021/3340
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Wondering whether the racing will really kick off now, with people planning on going all out to be in the lead in case racing is cancelled.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Postboxer wrote:Wondering whether the racing will really kick off now, with people planning on going all out to be in the lead in case racing is cancelled.

I think the remaining pre-race GC contenders (Kelderman, Nibali, Pozzovivo, Majka, Fuglsang, ?) will continue to ride as if it will be nearly the full length, but Almeida and other unfancied riders in high GC positions will fight that bit harder to keep their places for each extra day, just in case that day is the race's last.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

Sagan's performance yesterday was stunning; wet weather and the course made the stage quite like a spring classic, and he rode it like it was one too.

Sagan's win has broken his 15-month 'lean spell'. Sagan said "for sure I did not have the plan"; he made it up 'on the hoof' as it were. As the commentators said, maybe he should quit sprinting and concentrate on this kind of ride instead.

I also spotted that Jakob Fuglsang's puncture did him no end of harm; because he had disc brakes he couldn't take neutral service and had to wait for a team mate to give him a wheel....d'oh!

It is a shame that riders and teams have had to withdraw because of Covid. I'm amazed it didn't happen during the TdF.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
mjr

Post by mjr »

Brucey wrote:I also spotted that Jakob Fuglsang's puncture did him no end of harm; because he had disc brakes he couldn't take neutral service and had to wait for a team mate to give him a wheel....d'oh!

Worse: because he had disc brakes, the team mate (Felline) didn't give him a wheel, but a bike. Fuglsang is 1m81. Felline is 1m75. Possible to ride, but not as efficient. Rodriguez (1m80) would have been better bike swap, but I think he was already dropped.

It is a shame that riders and teams have had to withdraw because of Covid. I'm amazed it didn't happen during the TdF.

Some riders were already commenting on the more lax restrictions at the Giro than the TdF. It'll be interesting whether the Vuelta (by ASO and Unipublic) is run more like the TdF (by ASO) than the Giro (by RCS).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,

cheers

Wiggo reckons he it better at 25 than he was at 30.
Not sure how heavy Doumoilin is But he is quite big and climbs very well.

What do you think on Sagan?
580 W for one minute 20-40? during the ride.
do you think they letting get away with that because he is near the end of his career like Yates (old retired)?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.