Giro d'Italia

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Norman H

Giro d'Italia

Post by Norman H »

Recorded highlights are available daily at 19:00 on freeview Quest Ch12.

Geraint Thomas finished fourth, only 23 seconds behind Filippo Ganna, in Yesterday's opening TT. An impressive result given Ganna's resent world championship form. Simon Yates was a further 26 seconds behind Thomas and both are well placed amongst the other GC contenders.
Marcus Aurelius

Re: Giro d'Italia

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Norman H wrote:Recorded highlights are available daily at 19:00 on freeview Quest Ch12.

Geraint Thomas finished fourth, only 23 seconds behind Filippo Ganna, in Yesterday's opening TT. An impressive result given Ganna's resent world championship form. Simon Yates was a further 26 seconds behind Thomas and both are well placed amongst the other GC contenders.

It’s G’s to lose this year.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Norman H wrote:Recorded highlights are available daily at 19:00 on freeview Quest Ch12. .... .

Thanks for that. I don't watch much telly and I rarely check what's on. Now set to series record. Thanks again
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Oh dear ! :(
And dogs as well. :shock:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Big Gun out today with crash :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Why do they get so many bidons bouncing all over the road?

Especially in a built up area like that!

Is it butterfingers or bottle-cage malfunction? :roll:
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Marcus Aurelius wrote:It’s G’s to lose this year.

Looks like he's achieved that already unfortunately.
Syd

Giro d'Italia

Post by Syd »

Just watched some fans video of G’s incident in the neutral zone.

First through that crossed my mind was ‘why was he so far back in the bunch’? Risky at best.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

rualexander wrote:
Marcus Aurelius wrote:It’s G’s to lose this year.

Looks like he's achieved that already unfortunately.

He’s fractured his pelvis apparently.
Richard Fairhurst

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

Good piece in CyclingTips about bottle cages: https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/a-simpl ... iro-crash/

It does surprise me slightly that I did 90ish miles of the very bumpy King Alfred's Way without either bottle falling out once, yet as soon as the Giro hits a short stretch of cobbles, the bottles go flying. I grant you that they might have been going a bit faster than me. :lol:
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Norman H wrote:Recorded highlights are available daily at 19:00 on freeview Quest Ch12.

As long as you don't mind commentary in Welsh, you can watch live coverage for free by going to iplayer and selecting S4C
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Richard Fairhurst wrote:Good piece in CyclingTips about bottle cages: https://cyclingtips.com/2020/10/a-simpl ... iro-crash/

It does surprise me slightly that I did 90ish miles of the very bumpy King Alfred's Way without either bottle falling out once, yet as soon as the Giro hits a short stretch of cobbles, the bottles go flying. I grant you that they might have been going a bit faster than me. :lol:

I saw that Cycling Tips piece last night - interesting, right enough (it's an excellent website). It says they were actually in a neutral zone at the time behind the Commissaire's car which was dictating the speed so they weren't even racing, but it was downhill and they were still travelling fairly fast over big paving stones.

Jan Heine wrote about the issues concerning carbon bottle cages in his Rene Herse Cycles blog, suggesting that carbon isn't an ideal material - it doesn't flex quite enough to securely clamp a bottle in particularly bumpy conditions. The teams have strategies for keeping bottles in place on the likes of Paris-Roubaix, but whatever, it shouldn't happen. Apparently, although it was a freak accident, it's not unique - it's happened before with similar, if maybe not usually so serious, consequences.

Jan Heine pointed out that aluminium or even stainless steel bottle cages do a better job of clamping bottles securely and the weight 'penalty' is so negligible as to be irrelevant. Still, can you just imagine an aluminium or even *shock horror* stainless steel bottle cage on a high tech pro race bike in this day and age?!?!? Can't have that, can we? Although I believe a lot of riders still favour aluminium bars - slightly heavier, less cushy, perhaps, but also less liable to break.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Stradageek wrote:

As long as you don't mind commentary in Welsh, you can watch live coverage for free by going to iplayer and selecting S4C

Have you managed to get this to work?
I registered with SC4 and sat down to watch the opening TT stage live but got an error message when I tried to view it. I've had the same message since when I've tried to watch subsequent stages.
Incidentally I imagine that G's crash and subsequent withdrawal is a bit disappointing for the folks at SC4.
roger

Post by roger »

I can get S4C to work, today I ploughed on passed the error message.

What frustrate me is that I have the English version, everything including the commercials is is English with a Welsh commentary. I will have a look at the Freeview resume tonight.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Today's stage was a classic,one of the best cycle races I've seen because the least likely and unknown talent won!
Brilliant ride,fantastic finish and really showed them all how to win a bike race.Great! :D
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden