The 2020 Vuelta is also up and running.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
cycleruk

Re: The 2020 Vuelta is also up and running.

Post by cycleruk »

Hugh Carthy (Lancashire lad) rode himself into 3rd place on the Angliru the other day by winning the stage. Today was the individual time trial and Hugh again rode a fantastic race and stays in 3rd place on GC. Currently he is in contention to stay on the podium and hope he does.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Debs

Post by Debs »

I feel sorry for Will Barta losing the stage win by... 1 second.

He will always be lost in thought how he could have easily made up that extra a couple of seconds! :shock:
mjr

Post by mjr »

Debs wrote:I feel sorry for Will Barta losing the stage win by... 1 second.

He will always be lost in thought how he could have easily made up that extra a couple of seconds! :shock:

On the other hand, Roglic was a second late starting, so it might not have mattered anyway.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Bennett deserved the win but didn't deserve to be disqualified :(
He did what he did because of his own safety, the other rider was too close.

He was relegated not disqualified.

He should not have been in that position but his team chose to hug the barrier and the risk of that is limited room to manoeuvre.

A shoulder bump might have been justified defence but two headbutts? No way. Correct decision but they should have been quicker to say it was under consideration and not let him do the winner's interview until it was settled.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Relegated yes I did realise that I should've said that after I posted it I just can't be bothered to change it means the same thing, He's not going home.
If you're already close to the edge you don't expect someone to come up and Crowd you do you.
But as Miller said the judges could only come to one decision.

Yeah the time trial was another surprise wasn't it.
Did you see the difference in the cadence they were using, and most of them seem to take the outside on the bend and they seemed very intent on keeping their cadence hi.
I'm not sure they take it off as well as Froomey Used to do it.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

trying to watch the Vuelta on itv4 is an utter waste of time; wall to wall extra snooker and they can't even set the tags correctly so attempts to record the broadcast when it finally occurs don't always work.... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Brucey wrote:trying to watch the Vuelta on itv4 is an utter waste of time; wall to wall extra snooker and they can't even set the tags correctly so attempts to record the broadcast when it finally occurs don't always work.... :roll:

cheers

Just watch it on the ITV Hub player at a time of your own choosing. It's usually available after 7pm. Although, I agree the scheduling is all over the place.
jonny_five

Post by jonny_five »

I invested in the eurosport player during the giro. Much better than the itv effort. I hope Carthy can keep up his good form on the big stages over the next couple of days. He put in some amazing efforts so far.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
ITV hub works a treat if the video plays up, which is now often with the schedules changing all the time.
The players specific to channels are not the same as catch up via a freeview internet connected box?

Whats the fashion for recording tv today.................or does every one use catchup?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I use an old Humax recorder, will replace it when it packs in next. Can skip the adverts and it's not a smart TV so it's easier. Did have Virgin for 18 months during which time we used both recorders, as hadn't watched everything on the Humax recorder. The Virgin recording box had pros and cons. I also record some programs on iplayer on the laptop, to watch whilst doing stuff in the kitchen. I was tempted to sign up for Eurosport player but it's sometimes reduced, I was hoping it would be at the right time to get most of this year's tours and hopefully next year's too.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I agree with Valverde that this week seems a bit 'decaffeinated'.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We use a Panasonic digital recorder with twin hard drive. In fact, we have two so I can record the rare stuff which interests me and watch it when it suits me. The system works well except when programmes are changed at short notice. Skipping through ads is easy.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I still use a Sony (pioneer designed) freeview recorder. All such recorders have their quirks and mine is no exception. Even when everything is normal it doesn't record programmes (with late changes especially) quite as reliably as others such as Humax; I think the reasons for this are mixed. Partly it seems it is because the EPG stored in the machine doesn't update as quickly as it should (and this is despite the machine turning itself on every couple of hours with this exact purpose in mind) and partly it seems this is because the broadcasters don't always broadcast the correct information, giving the machine no chance.

In just a few cases I have seen my (much more recent) Freeview TV display an updated EPG whilst the recorder is still saying something different; this leads me to suppose that it is possible that the information is being broadcast in a non-standard way, such that one device can understand it and the other can't.

There are various issues with internet-based viewing, not the least of which is the stability of the connection itself. Another is the endless merry-go-round of equipment required. I few years ago bought a Sony Blu-ray player, not to play blu-rays, but mainly because it had I-player functionality built into it. I was a lot less than impressed when about a year after I bought it, Sony announced that they were not bothering to update the software in my machine, so no more I-player for me. And 'never again' will I buy another sony product of any kind.

I have considered subscribing to sky but

a) this is still reliant on (yet another) potentially flaky platform; more connections to go wrong and more boxes to go wrong
b) I am philosophically opposed to it on principle; I don't mind there being ad breaks, but I do object to paying for the privilege of watching them.
c) the commentators for several sports appear to be complete idiots.

Maybe I have unrealistic expectations in this day and age; expectations that technology will work as advertised for more than five minutes and not be rendered obsolete or ineffective for completely spurious reasons..... :roll:

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Another exciting finish on the penultimate day. Everything saved for the last climb.
It looks like the podium is sorted as long as there are no incidents. Tomorrows finale into Madrid should be one for the sprinters. ?
Thankfully the Covid virus seems to have been kept at bay.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Debs

Post by Debs »

cycleruk wrote: Tomorrows finale into Madrid should be one for the sprinters. ?

The one called Pascal Ackermann :wink: