How would past champions compete today

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Circa 1955

How would past champions compete today

Post by Circa 1955 »

Hello all,
As a cyclist from the late 60s I am amazed at the speed of the pro cyclists in the peloton watching the tours on the tv. How would pros from the past do if they raced today with there fitness at their time, I understand equipment and wind resistance plays a big part, but it seems to me todays professionals are a lot faster. But could be a age thing as in the early 70s, 22 minute 10 tt on a rolling course was quite common on steel bikes and no try bars.
Thanks Bob
Brucey

Re: How would past champions compete today

Post by Brucey »

I think the answer is 'badly' in many cases.

Only a few days ago Nibali issued a statement that he is (apparently) still making the same power numbers as he used to, and the reason he is not at the front of the race is that there are other riders which are now producing more power than that. It might just be wishful thinking on Nibali's part but I think that there have been advances in training and nutrition. I'm not sure the best riders are a lot better now than they used to be but there are more very good riders now than there used to be perhaps.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Yes, that's the case in many sports where objective measurements are possible. There's a great book by Stephen Jay Gould which discusses this on the way to something completely different: Full House.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_House:_The_Spread_of_Excellence_from_Plato_to_Darwin

Jonathan
hamster

Post by hamster »

The attitude to hydration nowadays compared to the 1960s is a huge difference. Essentially all the pros ended up racing dehydrated - as a result they would have put in far better times today.

My guess is that putting Merckx through a timewarp would still have resulted in him destroying all comers.

But its a fun discussion for the bar as it can never be answered definitively.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Dunno, whatabout Axel Merckx? He didnae win quite as many as Eddy :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
FerociousDog

Post by FerociousDog »

Times and attitudes have moved on so much in the last 20 years let alone 50 and I think even the “domestiques” today are much fitter and stronger than GT winners of the past.Even putting Merkcx,Hinault,Lemond in their prime on modern bikes I just don’t think they’d be any where near fit enough.
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

I think that the targeted training / nutrition / physio that’s available to today’s pro’s, would almost certainly mean the ‘yesterpro’ would struggle against the current peloton, even given the same kit. The modern training techniques and methods have essentially looked at the traditional methods, analysed them, worked out what the prime effects are, concentrated on, and improved the bits that count, and discarded the erroneous parts.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

How would today's champions have competed in the past?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Christophe
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Whatabout Reg Harris and John Woodburn?
They beat the young sters decades later
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:How would today's champions have competed in the past?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eug%C3%A8ne_Christophe

Great story.

Thanks for posting

Jonathan
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

If you just dropped a 1970 Merckx into today I doubt he would do so well. Subject him to 10 years of modern training from the teenage years and I suspect he would keep up.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

I think you're right.

And of course there's always a major statistical problem in picking exceptional performers from a long previous period and comparing them with athletes who are currently competing.

Jonathan
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

hamster wrote:The attitude to hydration nowadays compared to the 1960s is a huge difference. Essentially all the pros ended up racing dehydrated - as a result they would have put in far better times today.

Interested in this - any more info/explanation?
Marcus Aurelius

Post by Marcus Aurelius »

Bonefishblues wrote:
hamster wrote:The attitude to hydration nowadays compared to the 1960s is a huge difference. Essentially all the pros ended up racing dehydrated - as a result they would have put in far better times today.

Interested in this - any more info/explanation?

If your hydration drops too far, your nutrition can’t work efficiently / effectively, and your performance drops off as a result.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It was common in the 1960s to read in magazines like Coureur of riders training themselves to manage with minimum fluid intake. I think there was little understanding of how stimulants like caffeine act as a diuretic.