Why Are There So Many Crashes Now! In Road Racing ?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Anthony.R.Brown

Re: Why Are There So Many Crashes Now! In Road Racing ?

Post by Anthony.R.Brown »

I just lost count after another 5 Crashes today in the Tour de France! ?
Debs

Post by Debs »

My belief is that there are a multitude of different reasons for pro race bike crashes, and they really are getting more frequent.
Many of these reasons have been expressed already, modern street furniture, poorly planned route, spectator interference, modern day cycle racers can be far more fitter and athletic but less bike-rider skilful.

<>

A plan for more safety [and better racing too perhaps]

Maximum 7 members to each team
Maximum of 22 teams ( so a maximum 154 competitor start-list )
Banning of deep section aero wheels (except for time trialing)
Approved tyres - which are proven to provide good grip in the wet.
Maximum road race distance 160 km and on courses that are generally hilly.

<>

The idea above is to prevent the competitors becoming too fatigued on dull dreary needlessly long flat rides, and instead lower race time and increase recovery time.
Shorter races will still be fast and probably more tactical, more need of constant concentration, more interest, more alertness!
No aero wheels to cause side wind wobbles in the peloton.
Give every competitor a picture of Sargent Esterhaus.

Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Will grippier tyres lead to higher speed crashes?

Perhaps starting vs finishing numbers from tours across the years could give some idea of how many abandoned though of course they may not be through injuries. It may give some idea of how many riders were able to finish the tours. Perhaps in the past the peloton was a lot more spread out. Finishing times across the whole tour for the whole peloton may also give some idea of how bunched up riders were.
Anthony.R.Brown

You are missing the point Debs...

It's all about Mentality!

When I go out Cycling or driving a Car (because there is a massive correlation between the 2 today) I am constantly looking out for problems! things which might happen and I adjust the way I proceed according to what is going on,today's Pro cyclists are doing the opposite! they ride along in a world of their own thinking everyone is is going to be able to adjust to what they are doing,when they make a mistake! ?
Well it just does not work like that,after so many Crashes just as in normal life people get scared! and start to ride in a way where they do their best not to endanger other peoples lives.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Are there more crashes now in the Tour than before? I’m not so sure - remember Jalabert at Armentieres? Or Abdu on the Champs Elysees? Or Beloki on that mountain descent with the melting tar. Or Wiggins in 2011.

There are days when there’s plenty of crash action and there are others when there are hardly any crashes like today. It’s the same riders, riding the same bikes so it must be the course or the weather that makes the difference. Slightly wider roads towards the finish and dry and sunny today. These riders are the most skilled cyclists on the planet in terms of riding fast and in close proximity. Much like Lewis Hamilton and the F1 drivers, they race on the edge and sometimes push it too far.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Anthony.R.Brown

Please don't mention Lewis Hamilton in the same breath! :(

Why do so many people hate Lewis Hamilton?

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-so-many-pe ... s-Hamilton
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Anthony.R.Brown wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 5:22pm Why do so many people hate Lewis Hamilton?

He's black, he's successful, he's rich, and he can drive faster than they can. Other than that I have no idea.

Jonathan
Anthony.R.Brown

Jdsk wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 5:25pm
Anthony.R.Brown wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 5:22pm Why do so many people hate Lewis Hamilton?

He's black, he's successful, he's rich, and he can drive faster than they can. Other than that I have no idea.

Jonathan
What has Colour got to do with anything ? besides there is no such thing as Black,White,Yellow,Green,Orange, etc. people

Seems to me like people using the Black card are as bad as the the amount of Pro cyclists crashing today! :)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Anthony.R.Brown wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 6:40pm
Jdsk wrote: 29 Jun 2021, 5:25pm

What has Colour got to do with anything ? besides there is no such thing as Black,White,Yellow,Green,Orange, etc. people
If you think that people aren't affected by other people's appearance then I suggest that you study some of the evidence.

Or try the Implicit Association Test yourself:
https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

Jonathan
Anthony.R.Brown

Or try the Implicit Association Test yourself:
https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/

Jonathan
[/quote]

No need to look at any of that nonsense! that is why I like animals so much especially Dogs,they are mans best friend and can normally stiff out a bad person no matter what Colour they are! :)
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Or look at the cross-race effect:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-race_effect

There is no explanation of that that doesn't include different processing by the viewer.

Of course refusal to look for and consider the evidence allows any old rubbish to be believed.

Jonathan
Anthony.R.Brown

The amazing sense of smell a dog has...

They possess up to 300 million olfactory receptors in their noses, compared to about six million in us. And the part of a dog's brain that is devoted to analyzing smells is about 40 times greater than ours. ... Dogs possess a sense of smell many times more sensitive than even the most advanced man-made instrument.

And the part of a dog's brain that is devoted to analysing smells is about 40 times greater than ours. Dogs also have something called neophilia, which means they are attracted to new and interesting odours.

Dogs possess a sense of smell many times more sensitive than even the most advanced man-made instrument. Powerful enough to detect substances at concentrations of one part per trillion—a single drop of liquid in 20 Olympic-size swimming pools. With training, dogs can sniff out bombs and drugs, pursue suspects, and find dead bodies. And more and more, they’re being used experimentally to detect human disease—cancer, diabetes, tuberculosis, and now, malaria—from smell alone.

Dogs' noses also function quite differently than our own. When we inhale, we smell and breathe through the same airways within our nose. When dogs inhale, a fold of tissue just inside their nostril helps to separate these two functions.

When we exhale through our nose, we send the spent air out the way it came in, forcing out any incoming odors. When dogs exhale, the spent air exits through the slits in the sides of their noses. The manner in which the exhaled air swirls out actually helps usher new odors into the dog's nose. More importantly, it allows dogs to sniff more or less continuously.

We can't wiggle our nostrils independently. Dogs can. This, along with the fact that the so-called aerodynamic reach of each of their nostrils is smaller than the distance between the nostrils, helps them to determine which nostril an odour arrived in. This aids them in locating the source of smells—we've all seen dogs on an interesting scent weave back and forth across its invisible trail.
DaveReading

Post by DaveReading »

Are there any other random, off-topic chunks of Wikipedia that you would like to cut-and-paste while you're at it ?
Anthony.R.Brown

Do you search for random threads to post nothing about nothing in ?