Another Record attempt in progress

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Mick F
Spambuster

Distance and Total Ascent

Post by Mick F »

Reading the BBC News website this morning, and found this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56802796
Great stuff of course! :D

The total ascent he's doing .......... according to the news report ................
To break Mr Thompson's record, Mr Quigley aims to cycle a daily average of 320 miles.
He will do this by cycling four laps of an 80-mile route between Aberdeen and the Cairngorms that will take in Peterculter, Banchory, Aboyne, Ballater and Balmoral Castle.

He will burn 15,000 calories each day during the challenge, which will see him climb 8,000ft a day.
That's 320miles a day and climbing only 8,000ft = 25ft per mile.
I don't blame him in the slightest for picking a route as flat as possible, but can that listed route be only 25ft per mile?
Mick F. Cornwall
RickH

Re: Distance and Total Ascent

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote: 25 Apr 2021, 9:02am Reading the BBC News website this morning, and found this:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-56802796
Great stuff of course! :D

The total ascent he's doing .......... according to the news report ................
To break Mr Thompson's record, Mr Quigley aims to cycle a daily average of 320 miles.
He will do this by cycling four laps of an 80-mile route between Aberdeen and the Cairngorms that will take in Peterculter, Banchory, Aboyne, Ballater and Balmoral Castle.

He will burn 15,000 calories each day during the challenge, which will see him climb 8,000ft a day.
That's 320miles a day and climbing only 8,000ft = 25ft per mile.
I don't blame him in the slightest for picking a route as flat as possible, but can that listed route be only 25ft per mile?
A very quick plot of a route in that general area on cycle.travel gave me 86 miles with around 3000ft (1300m) which is just under 50ft/mile. With careful optimising of the route should get climbing down substantially. Although easier if you don't go to Balmoral as you are starting to get I to somewhat hillier territory as you head west. The roads there will, I imagine tend to follow valleys though.

Out of interest, I tried plotting a 40+ mile route round Chester - where I go to pilot a friend's tandem - using roads & paths that we regularly use. Although I don't think we've done it as a single ride, I managed to get below 10ft/mile.

It amuses me that, if I've travelled over by bike & train, I can usually log more ascent (over 900ft) in the ~8 miles home from Wigan than we've done on the tandem. :D
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Bonefishblues

Another Record attempt in progress

Post by Bonefishblues »

Don't think I've seen anything about this one - 7 days absolute distance record attempt, riding up and down the Dee valley/glen.

https://www.followmychallenge.com/live/ ... 0225,11.66
Paulatic

Re: Another Record attempt in progress

Post by Paulatic »

Being discussed here viewtopic.php?t=138029&start=15
Don’t think it belongs in LE2JoG.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Paulatic wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 4:44pm Being discussed here viewtopic.php?t=138029&start=15
Don’t think it belongs in LE2JoG.
Ah, missed it - and wasn't sure where to put it. Apart from that, all good, eh?! :lol:

Ah, I see why I missed it - it's in another thread as opposed to being the subject of a thread - and in the Forum "Does anyone Know"?
Not feeling quite as inattentive now.
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

All you missed is that this whole section is about LEJOG / JOGLE ! :lol: :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I raised that, not as a notification of a record, but querying the ascent per lap issue.
It's in the thread entitled Distance and Total Ascent started by me back in May of last year.

Keeping an eye on the chap doing the Week Record and if he achieves it, is a separate and different subject.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

LollyKat wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 9:44am All you missed is that this whole section is about LEJOG / JOGLE ! :lol: :lol:
No, I first looked for a relevant place (after checking that it wasn't the subject of another thread). This seemed vaguely relevant. Vorpal, with whom I had a conversation requesting to delete the thread, suggested that it be left up as the previous reference to this attempt was, as Mick says, 'buried' in another thread. Hope clarifies :)

If you or ano think that it should be elsewhere, suggest a better location to Mods - I'm not precious.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

He's done 32% of the record and has 4d 20h left, I see this morning.
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

Apparently Josh is ahead of schedule but still a long long way to go.....
https://twitter.com/JoshQuigley2026?ref ... r%5Eauthor
I think this thread needs another location as not E2E related.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Nessie23 wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 1:07pm Apparently Josh is ahead of schedule but still a long long way to go.....
https://twitter.com/JoshQuigley2026?ref ... r%5Eauthor
I think this thread needs another location as not E2E related.
Which location - as I said previously, I'm not precious, so do please suggest a better one.

Suspect Josh's 'hard yards' are only just starting.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Bonefishblues wrote: 28 Apr 2021, 1:35pm Which location - as I said previously, I'm not precious, so do please suggest a better one.

Suspect Josh's 'hard yards' are only just starting.
We do have a "Racing" forum, which is quite possibly the best fit. But then I think all LEJOG record attempts belong in there too, so what do I know?!?

About the "hard yards" - yup, after 3 days things will start getting hard, no matter how easy the first day seemed! [I write as a very slow ultra-ish-rider.]
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Nearly half way, both time and distance. It will be a superhuman effort to get the record from this position, I think.
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

Bonefishblues wrote: 29 Apr 2021, 12:32pm Nearly half way, both time and distance. It will be a superhuman effort to get the record from this position, I think.
Indeed, he is still ahead of schedule and completed 52% of total at halfway time-point.
C1ACDD1E-5DE9-4E06-ADEB-EF1FB98A4B55.png
His ‘dot’ tracker is here: https://www.followmychallenge.com/live/josh/7days/
A very interesting back story to Josh, two horrific crashes, NC500 record holder, mental health challenges and ambition to ride in TdF.
Come on Josh....
Nessie23

Post by Nessie23 »

Not looking good for Josh. He has been “hampered by serious knee pain that came on suddenly this afternoon.” He has continued but has been stationary outside Aberdeen for some time now.