Giro D'italia

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
rjb

Giro D'italia

Post by rjb »

Heads up for Freeview viewers. 7pm on Quest channel 12 from this Saturday. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mjr

Re: Giro D'italia

Post by mjr »

Thanks to Geraint Thomas having a crack a few years ago, it's also live from 2pm daily with 30min highlights starting some time between 9pm and 10pm on S4C on Freeview near Wales, and on S4C HD on Freesat channel 120 across the UK. The HD seems to be 11Mbps, which appears to be about twice the quality of GCN's subscription service! It's also on BBC iPlayer and I think that is across the UK too.

Meanwhile, in Belgium, Remco Evenepoel going to the airport to go to Italy was reported in their TV news sports bulletin a few days ago!
Last edited by mjr on 6 May 2021, 10:01pm, edited 3 times in total.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mjr

Post by mjr »

rjb wrote: 6 May 2021, 1:46pm Heads up for Freeview viewers. 7pm on Quest channel 12 from this Saturday. :wink:
It's a better picture on 114 if you have it, by the way.

Also on Freesat channel 167.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

rjb wrote: 6 May 2021, 1:46pm Heads up for Freeview viewers. 7pm on Quest channel 12 from this Saturday. :wink:
Thanks for that, all set up to record and watch.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

mjr wrote: 6 May 2021, 5:59pm It's also on BBC iPlayer and I think that is across the UK too.
Do you know what format that will be? Comms/pundits, length etc? (at least they're guaranteed to report on some non-Welsh riders!)

Quest/GCN highlights last year was better than nothing, but nothing great. Of course the riders/route/weather made up for that :-)
mjr

Post by mjr »

mattheus wrote: 7 May 2021, 1:40pm
mjr wrote: 6 May 2021, 5:59pm It's also on BBC iPlayer and I think that is across the UK too.
Do you know what format that will be? Comms/pundits, length etc? (at least they're guaranteed to report on some non-Welsh riders!)
BBC iPlayer is simply carrying S4C so commentary is in Welsh and their website says "Rhodri Gomer will lead the regular Seiclo team, with commentators Wyn Gruffydd, John Hardy and Gareth Rhys Owen being joined by team Ribble Weldtite rider Gruff Lewis, Dewi Owen and brothers, Rheinallt and Peredur ap Gwynedd". Live coverage seems to be at least 2 hours from 2pm most days, and 30 minutes highlights.

Are there any Welsh riders at the Giro this year?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

... BBC iPlayer is simply carrying S4C ...

Ah, sorry, I could have assumed that from your post!
rjb

Post by rjb »

Can you get subtitles on i player or even an instant translation for non Welsh speakers.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mjr

Post by mjr »

rjb wrote: 8 May 2021, 12:12pm Can you get subtitles on i player or even an instant translation for non Welsh speakers.
Not for this. Just tested.
rjb

Post by rjb »

mjr wrote: 8 May 2021, 3:00pm
rjb wrote: 8 May 2021, 12:12pm Can you get subtitles on i player or even an instant translation for non Welsh speakers.
Not for this. Just tested.
Ok thanks. Looks like its Quest tonight at 19.00 :wink:
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

With respect to any Welsh speakers but I've tried watching and find the language impeniterable.
I can watch in German, and Italian and get a little understanding but welsh beats me completely.
I find I'm distracted, so turn off the sound.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

francovendee wrote: 10 May 2021, 7:33am With respect to any Welsh speakers but I've tried watching and find the language impeniterable.
Don't feel bad - it seems Welsh was too much for the iPLayer subtitlers to deal with too!
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

I love it when a lone rider beats the peloton by a matter of a few seconds, especially when it's a rider from a small team. The look on Taco Van Der Hoorn's face as he realised that he was going to win was so lovely.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Agreed. It was a fabulous stage.
Not really followed the giro before, but already getting sucked in.
I bought eurosport player for my dad (he enjoys the winter sports), and happily the logon also works for me. Full stages and highlights available on demand, which is great, as I work shifts and often miss the live prog.
Luckily, uk sports coverage means spoilers are not much of a problem.
Tomorrow's stage looks interesting.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Pendodave wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:22pm Luckily, uk sports coverage means spoilers are not much of a problem.
Apologies for spilling the beans. I didn't think. I won't do it again, even though I'm watching live and might get excited. I promise not to lunge at the keyboard.
Eurosport has been a real boon. There's so much coverage to watch. I usually wait until a day or two before the new racing season starts and then buy a year-long plan from them. They often have half-price offers at that time of year. I think I've paid £19.99 for the last few years.