Giro D'italia

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Tiberius

Re: Giro D'italia

Post by Tiberius »

Colin63 wrote: 11 May 2021, 2:18pm They often have half-price offers at that time of year. I think I've paid £19.99 for the last few years.
They do. I paid £19.99 for the year approximately six weeks ago.

All the cycling plus British Superbikes and World Superbikes. An absolute bargain.
Tompsk

Post by Tompsk »

Was it just my recording box or did Quest rebroadcast the stage 1 programme again this eve at 7pm???
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Yes they did, not sure why, or even if they realised, my recording didn't have the beginning so not sure if it was announced.

Seems they are now aware.

https://twitter.com/QuestTV/status/1392194164796833793
We are aware of technical issues with tonight’s Giro d’Italia highlights and apologise for the inconvenience. We are working on a solution and will update you as soon as possible.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Colin63 wrote: 11 May 2021, 2:18pm
Pendodave wrote: 10 May 2021, 9:22pm Luckily, uk sports coverage means spoilers are not much of a problem.
Apologies for spilling the beans. I didn't think. I won't do it again, even though I'm watching live and might get excited. I promise not to lunge at the keyboard.
haha. Not a problem. If anyone goes into a Giro thread expecting not to find information on the day's events, then that's their problem.
Just finished watching today's stage. How filthy was that weather. I wonder if the next couple of days will give the peloton a chance to warm up and recover?
I hope it gets brighter. Watching Italy unfold in the sunshine will be a real treat.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Highlights on Quest at midnight, allegedly.

Quest
@QuestTV
Following earlier technical issues we will be airing the Stage 4 Giro d’Italia highlights at midnight tonight on Quest. Once again we offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience to your viewing.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Postboxer wrote: 11 May 2021, 10:32pm Highlights on Quest at midnight, allegedly.

Quest
@QuestTV
Following earlier technical issues we will be airing the Stage 4 Giro d’Italia highlights at midnight tonight on Quest. Once again we offer our sincere apologies for the inconvenience to your viewing.
At 78 I sometimes question my brain and the tricks it plays. I really thought I'd lost the plot last night, I checked the information and realised it was Quest that had cocked up.
I ended up on line to find the result so I doubt I'll bother with the 'missing'stage.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Just caught up on yesterday's sprint stage. It was uncomfortable viewing.
It seems like modern day bike racing is becoming more like 1960s/70s grand prix racing. Surely it can't carry on like this.
Hopefully less carnage today.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Pendodave wrote: 13 May 2021, 12:20pm Just caught up on yesterday's sprint stage. It was uncomfortable viewing.
It seems like modern day bike racing is becoming more like 1960s/70s grand prix racing. Surely it can't carry on like this.
How can they ever protect against what looked like some rider ignoring the warnings? What sort of warning would you suggest for the traffic island that resulted in the crash of Landa and others, besides the giant pedestrian crossing signs hanging above the road, the centre line going solid and then widening into hatching, the huge orange padding strapped to the front of the island, the marshal blowing a whistle and waving a flag and reportedly warnings over race radio?

The orange mat was already about 50% taller than the sign it was strapped to. Any taller and it could fall in wind or it would need support ropes which are themselves a risk and it still wouldn't come close to the large overhead signs which seemed not to prevent this.

I suspect the only good extra measure is to remove the islands which will increase the cost to host towns, price some out and reduce RCS income. Or we reconsider the idea stopping the GC clock at the town limits on sprint stages so only the sprint trains are trying to hang onto the bunch through the difficult road layouts.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Anyone wanting highlights, they usually come up on YouTube (free, of course) a few hours after each day's stage - either Eurosport, GCN or inCycle.

If you subscribe to these channels on YouTube, provided you're logged into YouTube (you need to register and set up a channel, although you don't need to put any content on your channel), just click on 'Subscriptions' down the left hand sidebar and their videos for that day will come up among any other videos whose channels you're subscribed to.

Or even without signing up to YouTube just go to their channels (no worries about not wanting to know who won - the video titles don't give it away, they just give the stage):

Eurosport: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClhp9g ... Olcw0ROfNg

GCN Racing: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCu7phd ... OaJfEpHZww

inCycle: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXgba6 ... uXaD8LBHWg

All the stage highlights so far from Eurosport here (when you go to the channel you usually just need to click on 'VIDEOS' to see all the recent ones or put 'cycling' in the search):

https://www.youtube.com/c/eurosport/videos

Same with all the channels above - you can decide whose commentary/editing you prefer! I like GCN's Dan Lloyd, who also sometimes does the Eurosport commentary too, along with Matt Stephens - good lads - so he's the one I prefer, although they're all good.

Sorry if that's all obvious to some but it might not be to others.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Sadly, the news is that all three riders involved in the crash at the traffic island on Stage 5 are out of the Giro - Mikel Landa (collarbone/broken ribs), Francois Bidard (collarbone) and Joe Dombrowski, who won the previous stage and led the mountains classification (concussion).

https://twitter.com/TourDeJose/status/1 ... 5153759233
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

mjr wrote: 13 May 2021, 2:15pm
Pendodave wrote: 13 May 2021, 12:20pm Just caught up on yesterday's sprint stage. It was uncomfortable viewing.
How can they ever protect against what looked like some rider ignoring the warnings? What sort of warning would you suggest for the traffic island that resulted in the crash of Landa and others, besides the giant pedestrian crossing signs hanging above the road, the centre line going solid and then widening into hatching, the huge orange padding strapped to the front of the island, the marshal blowing a whistle and waving a flag and reportedly warnings over race radio?

The orange mat was already about 50% taller than the sign it was strapped to. Any taller and it could fall in wind or it would need support ropes which are themselves a risk and it still wouldn't come close to the large overhead signs which seemed not to prevent this.

I suspect the only good extra measure is to remove the islands which will increase the cost to host towns, price some out and reduce RCS income. Or we reconsider the idea stopping the GC clock at the town limits on sprint stages so only the sprint trains are trying to hang onto the bunch through the difficult road layouts.
I have no clever suggestions to offer. Merely observing that serious injuries seem to be inevitable in these types of finish and wondering out loud how ethical this is.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Concerning yesterday, Joe Dumbrowski's team UAE Emirates are trying - scandalously and unjustifiably, as you'll see below - to blame the marshal...
According to the teams involved, the clash between Dombrowski and the operator who was signaling the fork four kilometers from Cattolica was caused by the worker with the flag: he hit the UAE runner, who lost his balance and took Landa ahead and Bidard. That person, Filippo Bartolucci, is in charge of carrying the flag to open the track or the blackboard with the differences on a motorcycle, with eight years of experience in the world of cycling, and the Giro organization asked him to stand on the island to indicate to the squad that rolled on both sides of the road.
https://as.com/ciclismo/2021/05/13/giro ... 78482.html

What, seriously?!...

hemo

Post by hemo »

The Marshall had some balls to stand there with the speed of that peloton approaching.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

If they are going to leave the islands there, then that's the accepted way to alert the riders. One point is that there's a big difference between some sort of obstacle out on the course and in the last few kilometres of racing when everything is going ding-dong. There are big sums of money being spent on these events, even if it's not up there with soccer and golf etc., so removing and replacing a few traffic islands shouldn't be insurmountable. Perhaps the Italian equivalent of Balfour Beatty (?) might sponsor the roadworks.

There's always the possibility of another riders' strike over safety.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

To strike a more positive note, it was great to see one of Landa's teammates winning today.
The weather and stage difficulty over the last few days has made me very glad to be on my sofa.