Giro D'italia

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
thirdcrank

Re: Giro D'italia

Post by thirdcrank »

I first took an interest in cycle racing in 1958 and I was an avid reader of Coureur (later to become Sporting Cyclist .) A mis-spent youth, really. Anyway one of the epics I remember was the account of Charly Gaul's victory in the 1956 Giro in appalling weather.

I've found this recent re-hash, which weaves in the Jock Wadley stuff from so long ago, with plenty more about riders cheating.

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/gir ... tory.shtml

The World has changed and a lot more attention is paid to the safety of riders and people in race vehicles.
Debs

Post by Debs »

I think looking at the way this year's Giro is panning out with the superiority of Ineos together with the super form of Egan, and with another three mountain stages to go, with each mountain stage bringing on more top GC position shuffling, the question is who else will get on the podium?
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

https://twitter.com/AlbertRiveraR/statu ... 1892094981

Never seen this before, is it a regular thing? Bernal seems unfazed by it, race organisers RCS are looking into it.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Postboxer wrote: 26 May 2021, 9:47am https://twitter.com/AlbertRiveraR/statu ... 1892094981

Never seen this before, is it a regular thing? Bernal seems unfazed by it, race organisers RCS are looking into it.
Waving a chainsaw at racers from on the course, inside the barriers? No, that is a new level of stupid and dangerous. Where were the police?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

There's no chain on the chainsaw. Apparently it's common practice at mtb events - like a much more extreme version of these whirly rattles folk used to take to football matches (a long time ago - so long ago that I'd forgotten all about them!).
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

kylecycler wrote: 26 May 2021, 1:20pm There's no chain on the chainsaw. Apparently it's common practice at mtb events - like a much more extreme version of these whirly rattles folk used to take to football matches (a long time ago - so long ago that I'd forgotten all about them!).
Might be less annoying than voovoozelas?
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

mattheus wrote: 26 May 2021, 1:42pm
kylecycler wrote: 26 May 2021, 1:20pm There's no chain on the chainsaw. Apparently it's common practice at mtb events - like a much more extreme version of these whirly rattles folk used to take to football matches (a long time ago - so long ago that I'd forgotten all about them!).
Might be less annoying than voovoozelas?
Definitely - just about anything is less annoying than voovoozelas! :evil: The rattles didn't just go out of fashion, btw, they were banned in the 1970s, apparently.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Debs wrote: 25 May 2021, 4:41pm I think looking at the way this year's Giro is panning out with the superiority of Ineos together with the super form of Egan, and with another three mountain stages to go, with each mountain stage bringing on more top GC position shuffling, the question is who else will get on the podium?
We've seen once again that anything can happen in a stage race
Debs

Post by Debs »

thirdcrank wrote: 26 May 2021, 8:00pm
Debs wrote: 25 May 2021, 4:41pm I think looking at the way this year's Giro is panning out with the superiority of Ineos together with the super form of Egan, and with another three mountain stages to go, with each mountain stage bringing on more top GC position shuffling, the question is who else will get on the podium?
We've seen once again that anything can happen in a stage race
Yes, a crash at an inopportune moment would seem to have taken out Ciccone's chances :(
Trek-Segafredo have also plummeted down to 3rd in the Super Team Award as a result of the same pile-up, Ciccone's two support riders Nibali and Ghebreigzabhier also among the fallen.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Before the pink jersey was dropped, he looked crouched and uncomfortable attempting to stay with Yates.
The commentators didn't seem to notice at all.
Congrats to Martin.
I would imagine the race will continue as normal from now on and the pink jersey will bounceback.
If there is a TT on the last day I'm not sure I think there is? Is it long enough to have any effect whatsoever, But I'm guessing that all the people vying for top places are of similar stature, so it's not gonna make a lot of difference.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It should come as no surprise that there's plenty of info about the route of the Giro online.

The final stage is a 30 km TT (approx 20 miles in the old money.)

https://www.giroditalia.it/en/the-route/

Click on the links and it looks flattish. There's also an animation of the course in there.

(There's no crystal ball.)
panda

Post by panda »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 27 May 2021, 9:44am Before the pink jersey was dropped, he looked crouched and uncomfortable attempting to stay with Yates.
The commentators didn't seem to notice at all.
Congrats to Martin.
I did wonder whether it was a just a bad day or a resurgence of his back issue. He started to pick up a bit towards the end so I'm inclined to think the former, but I guess time will tell.

Yeah, great ride from Dan Martin!
Debs

Post by Debs »

Another top ten GC competitor abandons!

Yesterdays descent crash on the final 30k has lead to three non starters for today's Stage 18

Remco Evenepoel (Deceuninck-Quick-Step) Bel.
Nicholas Schultz (Team BikeExchange) Aus.
Giulio Ciccone (Trek-Segafredo) Ita.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
And yates does the buisiness.
2nd, can he hold................worst is he still keeps 3rd :)
Tomorrow will be a goodun.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Nice bit of mountain riding today
Attachments
01688D1E-D955-4B75-92AC-EEBB66FBA9AD.jpeg
46C250D3-E1D2-48E9-94B9-E0BFB1323294.jpeg