Criterium Du Dauphiné

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
borisface

Re: Criterium Du Daulphine

Post by borisface »

Geraint Thomas: I've got a ten year old laptop that crashes less often than he does.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Nailbiting stuff near the end but a worthy winner.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
borisface wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 11:07pm Geraint Thomas: I've got a ten year old laptop that crashes less often than he does.
I've got a computer thats old enough to be in the race, And young enough to win the young riders competition, but it never crashes :P
Would Porte of one without Thomas?
borisface

Post by borisface »

Would Porte have won without Thomas: probably
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
So the TDF is going to be interesting.
Both riders are in top form.
Porte despite his stature can also time trial.
But it does appear that the small guys or smaller mid range guys are up in their game in their time trialling?
Miller said that Thomas will get back on catch port before the finish to help him.
The other commentator not a rider or pro rider I think, I said no.
It would've been embarrassing for Thomas if you have not caught up to support him wouldn't it.

TDF here we come.
P.S. Froome was Four hours 36 down on the leader.
We know he's not recovered or on top form but it will be interesting to see if they give him a free ride and TDF I mean allow him to come in anyway.
Maillot Rouge

Re: Criterium Du Dauphiné

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Of course Froome will race the Tour.
He and his Team,ISN are already on the start roster!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Maillot Rouge wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 9:39pm Of course Froome will race the Tour.
No discredit to a great cyclist but what does he bring to the tour in his condition?
Like I said maybe they are giving him a free ride, because they have him and his name means alot..............or does it?
I am trying not to underestimate his ability but I do wonder, like will he be able to finish even.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/features/20 ... up-nation/
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 10:26pm Hi,
No discredit to a great cyclist but what does he bring to the tour in his condition?
Like I said maybe they are giving him a free ride, because they have him and his name means alot..............or does it?
I am trying not to underestimate his ability but I do wonder, like will he be able to finish even.

It’s not about a free ride or sympathy place.
His Team have a place.
He is Team Leader.
Most of those riding in GT will never win them!There are 200 riders with 10 at most who could win.
Froome is there because his Team have chosen him as their leader for the tour.It he finishes it’s good for the team,if he wins a stage it would be massive for them!
There’s more to the tour than just winning.Taking part is huge for smaller teams.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 10:21am

It’s not about a free ride or sympathy place.
His Team have a place.
He is Team Leader.
True ... but might Dan Martin or Michael Woods be better bets? Give Froome time to prepare for a Vuelta and/or Worlds bid?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 8 Jun 2021, 9:50am Hi,
TDF here we come.
P.S. Froome was Four hours 36 down on the leader.
We know he's not recovered or on top form but it will be interesting to see if they give him a free ride and TDF I mean allow him to come in anyway.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but I'm not sure you understand how bike racing works?
You stated that Froome was 4:36 down on the winner.Have a look at previous races and you'll see that that is always the case.TDF 2019 for instance.155 riders finished,18 were 4hrs+ behind the Yellow jersey.Also have you not heard of the Lanterne Rouge?
Have a look at the table in the link:-
https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/to ... ce/2019/gc
After the Top 20 all riders are at least 1hr behind,55th place it's 2hrs+,93rd it's 3hrs+.That's what Domestiqués are for!
The UCI decides which teams race in the World Tour events then it's up to the individual teams to pick the riders who race.Isreali Start-up
are a small team and Froome is their best rider.They will put their strongest team out.It's doubtful that they will win or even be on the podium but it creates sponsorship,money and hopefully attracts top riders.
It's the same in any sport.The top teams have the biggest financial clout so get the top personel.That doesn't mean the also-rans shouldn't be allowed to compete.
ISN are cyclings equivelant of say Southampton or Newcastle United in the Premier League.In the mix but never going to win the title!
Even in his current physical and mental state Chris Froome is still a World Tour status rider.He has nothing to prove.
mattheus wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:05am True ... but might Dan Martin or Michael Woods be better bets? Give Froome time to prepare for a Vuelta and/or Worlds bid?
Possibly but it's political isn't it?Froome will have been told he is TL and if he is any type of form or fitness he'll be TL.I'm sure he would be a Super-Domestiqué for either Woods or Martin but ISN are going with Froome.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

borisface wrote: 6 Jun 2021, 11:07pm Geraint Thomas: I've got a ten year old laptop that crashes less often than he does.
That crash (with subsequent chase) and
his opportunistic stage win with a big sprint out of a slow hairpin (almost F1 tactics)

were probably the two most exciting moments of the race! :D
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

mattheus wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:20am
That crash (with subsequent chase) and
his opportunistic stage win with a big sprint out of a slow hairpin (almost F1 tactics)

were probably the two most exciting moments of the race! :D
I think he enjoys it! Wasn't it the 2018 Dauphine where he ended up having to do a huge solo chase after a crash and still managed to hang on to win the overall. He's a beast of a rider.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
No I'm not taking it the wrong way don't worry about that.
I do understand how it all works but I just thought that maybe they were putting all their eggs in one basket, or something like that.
Okay so the race just done it's just a bit of a tester I suppose for froome.
it will be a lot of stress for him to perform on the Tour de France, or maybe not if he's going to be a super domestic, and yes martin I understand Take over as leader at any time just like Thomas and porte.
For any team or even a small team yes his name alone is a very large boost.
I am looking forward to how it all pans out because you've got a lot of top riders there, and even the old ones can still out perform The young riders.
I also appreciate that just one stage win in a grand tour is a lifetime achievement for many.

P.S.on past Masters or even ones that are still operating today I'm talking about Tony Martin.
109 miles solo on the Veulta At 27 miles an hour.
I thought it was slightly less at 25 but I've seen it written down somewhere and that's what they quoted.
That really is amazing isn't it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Martin_(cyclist)
"In the sixth stage of Vuelta a España, Martin managed a 175 km (109 mi) solo breakaway, averaging 27.7 mph "
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:32am P.S.on past Masters or even ones that are still operating today I'm talking about Tony Martin.
I thought it was slightly less at 25 but I've seen it written down somewhere and that's what they quoted.
"In the sixth stage of Vuelta a España, Martin managed a 175 km (109 mi) solo breakaway, averaging 27.7 mph "
I remember watching it live on TV.I was screaming at the TV willing him to get over the line before he was caught.One of the best solo rides I have ever seen!25mph or 27mph it;s still an amazing feat 8)
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Hellhound wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 1:54pm
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:32am P.S.on past Masters or even ones that are still operating today I'm talking about Tony Martin.
I remember watching it live on TV.I was screaming at the TV willing him to get over the line before he was caught.One of the best solo rides I have ever seen!25mph or 27mph it;s still an amazing feat 8)
I was watching too :) Respect.