Criterium Du Dauphiné

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
francovendee

Re: Criterium Du Dauphiné

Post by francovendee »

Heard the ISN manager saying Froome has improved enormously but not at the exponential rate they'd hoped for.
Froome isn't in it just to get round.
I'd think it would be better to wait until the 2022 race. By then we'll all see how well he's managed to recover from his awful crash.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

He needs to race in 3 week tours though to see how he reacts if nothing else.
Maybe waiting until the Vuelta would be a better idea but no doubt the sponsors would like to see him there.
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Hellhound wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 2:40pm He needs to race in 3 week tours though to see how he reacts if nothing else.
Maybe waiting until the Vuelta would be a better idea but no doubt the sponsors would like to see him there.
I think that's right, both as a way of monitoring his progress so far and getting in a big block of competitive riding. However, even though the Tour is bigger and faster than the Vuelta it's probably a better training race as the Vuelta is so tough that it could do more harm than good. His ambition and ISNs ambition is to win another grand tour. I suspect he will be allowed to use this tour a s a fitness block and they'll continue to focus on stage wins with other riders. It's also important that he does a Grand Tour because he'll need a stronger team around him when he's fit enough – other riders will need to feel that a move to ISN as a domestique is a worthwhile career step. If they see him up to such a test their inclination to do so might be greater.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Agree about 3 week tours but I'd prefer to see him on the podium on lesser tours on a regular basis before attempting the TDF.
He's been world class and may be again. I just hate seeing him at back.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Hellhound wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 2:40pm He needs to race in 3 week tours though to see how he reacts if nothing else.
I suspect they will take him, as leader in name but really using it as training/data-collection/testing to see if a comeback next year looks possible, letting him do most of the pre-race media engagements, getting ISN some publicity and taking some pressure off their likely leader-in-waiting, Michael Woods. I will be astonished if Froome is on the leaderboard at the end of Saturday 3 July.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

Confirmed today that Froome will race the Tour.
He will be team captain to Woods' team leader.
This might take some of the pressure and spotlight off him and allow him to just ride 8)
I for one am glad he's there.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
We all wish to see Froome at the tour......................but they will only mention him when...?

OK so I like Froome and he's always a good communicator when they interview him post / before ride.

So lots of interesting info from him...................or we won't see him at all and remember that the camera work is not under itv4 control.

Worth having him to a team of course.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Hellhound wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:09am
mattheus wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:05am True ... but might Dan Martin or Michael Woods be better bets? Give Froome time to prepare for a Vuelta and/or Worlds bid?
Possibly but it's political isn't it?Froome will have been told he is TL and if he is any type of form or fitness he'll be TL.I'm sure he would be a Super-Domestiqué for either Woods or Martin but ISN are going with Froome.
Hindsight is the best sight, don't you think?
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

mattheus wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 8:54am
Hellhound wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:09am
mattheus wrote: 9 Jun 2021, 11:05am True ... but might Dan Martin or Michael Woods be better bets? Give Froome time to prepare for a Vuelta and/or Worlds bid?
Possibly but it's political isn't it?Froome will have been told he is TL and if he is any type of form or fitness he'll be TL.I'm sure he would be a Super-Domestiqué for either Woods or Martin but ISN are going with Froome.
Hindsight is the best sight, don't you think?
A logical not emotional decision from ISN 8)