Tour de France 2021 - Spoilers

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
hemo

Re: Tour de France 2021 - Spoilers

Post by hemo »

If Pog carries on as he has done at such a young age, he will be re-writing the history books in years to come (unless of course he burns himself out). He will be looking at a hat-trick of tour titles next year.
Todays ride & win a copy book almost of yesterdays win was even more impressive.
Ontherivet77

Post by Ontherivet77 »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 5:12pm
thirdcrank wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 4:56pm Cav has just finished 5 minutes inside the limit. Last finisher with his teammates
Needs to save as much energy as possible for tomorrow and Sun, doesn’t he?
djnotts wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 4:31pm Yesterday and today may fall into what Mr Kelly terms "unbelievable".

As one of commentaries referenced above puts it : "Pogačar turned in several performances that strain the limits of what we could expect a clean rider to do, especially compared to the rest of the field. This is not conjecture; it’s math."

Amazing ride though.
On the subject of ‘preparation’, anyone know what’s happening at Bahrain Victorious?
A police raid of their hotel and team bus with several computers and phones taken into evidence. All based on a couple of CHIS reports to Marseille police.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

So, Cav has dropped three points to Matthews on the intermediate sprint.

Break currently 1’ 20” off the front. I wonder if it’ll be allowed to stay away?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I see it's André Greipel's birthday. He missed the break as did all his team. Chris Froome is working to bring it back. Michael Matthews + team also missed the break which is now going out very quickly - almost 5.30 mins as I type. Cav has Ballerini in the break so no need to bust a gut. Paris beckons
===============================
I'm only keeping an eye on the official TdeF website where it's saying the bunch have sat up. Break now at 9 mins

===============================
Gap growing at +01' 14" per km
ratherbeintobago

I think they’re letting the break stay away, aren’t they?
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

I turned todays stage off. Boring except for the last 10K of the breakaway. :(
You'll never know if you don't try it.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

anyone know what’s happening at Bahrain Victorious?
As of today, they've been that bit more victorious.
ratherbeintobago

cycleruk wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 4:45pm I turned todays stage off. Boring except for the last 10K of the breakaway. :(
Well, tomorrow is the TT isn’t it? That makes riveting television 😬
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Cavendish and three of his team mates also have the slight marginal gain of being within the first 7 starters of the TT tomorrow, so has a slightly longer rest before Sunday's finish compared to his rivals.
Debs

Post by Debs »

Brilliant stage 19, was expecting a lot of have-ago heroics but marvellous to see a breakaway actually succeed to the end, and a stunning solo ride away win for Matej Mohorič, so well deserved.
Out away on your own with full honours, that's the best way of all to win a road race, beats the hell out of boring bunch spring finishes when the goal-hanging sprinters pop out of the sheltered peloton for the final 200m :D
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It must be a while since Chris Froome started a TT in a major stage race as 9th to get the off.
Debs

Post by Debs »

The ITT

I wonder what the percentage is for riders going flat out for their best time...
compared to riders cruising around having a rest day ride?
ratherbeintobago

I suspect the majority will be bimbling round.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I suppose the organisers hope for a cliff-hanger when it gets to the final TT eg Greg Lemond / Laurent Fignon but there's no way to ensure that.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Ontherivet77 wrote: 16 Jul 2021, 8:10am
ratherbeintobago wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 5:12pm
On the subject of ‘preparation’, anyone know what’s happening at Bahrain Victorious?
A police raid of their hotel and team bus with several computers and phones taken into evidence. All based on a couple of CHIS reports to Marseille police.
CHIS?
Debs wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 4:02pm The ITT

I wonder what the percentage is for riders going flat out for their best time...
compared to riders cruising around having a rest day ride?
25%, I read, so about +13min today. No eliminations.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.