Olympics! (spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Jdsk

Re: Olympics! (spoilers)

Post by Jdsk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 9:59am Just happened just before 10 o'clock live.
Australia's four-man team have stopped mid race because one riders handlebars parted from the bike!
I haven't seen an explanation yet, but here's another photo:

Jonathan
Syd

Post by Syd »

Snapped at the stem. Carbon looked very thin in that area
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Happened to me once when I over-tightened the bolt on the knuckle joint of an adjustable stem - I was trying to stop it creaking so in my ignorance and inexperience I tightened it 'extra-tight' (I've since learned (the hard way!) to grease it liberally instead) and - unknowingly, of course - sheared the bolt...

Rode down to the town on a busy 60 mph single carriageway (no cycle path then; there is now, even though it's bordered by a hawthorn hedge and it's unusable for half the winter when they cut the hedge, but that's another story) on a Saturday afternoon with nothing holding the bars on except two ends of a broken bolt, until eventually, at the top of a hill in the town, the bars came off. Lucky to be alive.

Back then (before I even registered with this forum - I was down and out, I didn't even have access to the internet) I was utterly clueless - I had no idea about torque, let alone torque wrenches! :roll:
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Reports are that the Aussies handlebars/stem are 3D printed carbon fibre whereas the GB bars are 3D printed titanium. The rest of the Aussie team must be wondering now :roll: :?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
My photo was minutes after it happened, so its a photo of my tv screen, to early to be reported :P

CF, you probably need to inspect after each use..........certainly if you are relying on it, metal at the stem might be better........give alonger life anyway.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Story from Cycling Tips (it's an Australian site so they'd be quick on the draw):

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/08/austral ... ualifying/
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

As a bit of a blast from the past, around 40 years ago, Shimano unsuccessfully tried to introduce the 10mm chain. Apparently, this is on e of the innovations on Team GB track bikes for Tokyo.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics/20 ... -dominate/
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Very interesting racing on the track this morning. :shock:
Some good and some :?:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

thirdcrank wrote: 2 Aug 2021, 12:56pm
Mike Sales wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 7:10pm
cycleruk wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 7:07pm Watched the BMX today. Rather them than me. :shock:
Where do you get to practice these acrobatics and the courage to try it for a first time. :roll:
It is certainly not cycling as I know it.
Same goes for the MTB racers.
It's certainly a lot more accessible to the youth of this country than some of the other sports we do sitting down. Having said that, it seems that part of the Team GB success in BMX may be down to having a secret replica of the Olympic track hurriedly constructed in a warehouse in Telford.

Exclusive: Britain’s BMX freestyle riders prepared for Tokyo in secret warehouse which housed replica of Olympic course

https://preview.telegraph.co.uk/olympic ... warehouse/

(You have to scroll down for this bit.)
I was writing purely personally," rather them than me", as was cycleruk.
I could not take such risks of coming off.
Brave riders.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I know this is cycling but, 800m womens final with three brits, worth watching.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

How long before aero positions that don't allow you to see where you are going are banned? Hoping Jason Kenny can recover before his other events, looked quite spent earlier.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Postboxer wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 3:04pm How long before aero positions that don't allow you to see where you are going are banned? Hoping Jason Kenny can recover before his other events, looked quite spent earlier.
Apparently the Danes' excuse was that the regulations state that flags should be shown to riders to warn them that they're coming up on another rider and they weren't shown, but seeing as how he wasn't even looking where he was going...

Some tried to suggest that the Brit should have been up the banking out of the way like the fourth GB rider - that's why the Danish rider was so incensed - but that wasn't the case; he was the third rider, the one that counts, and as such he was where he should have been, riding the line.

Cautionary tale, though - I think a lot of us will have heard of roadies riding full tilt into the back of a parked vehicle because they've had their head down and haven't been looking where they're going - it happens, and the consequences are almost always serious.
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Well, It seems that at this Olympics the Commissaires are making rule changes on the fly?
First the Australians get a re-run at variance to the regs, First Lap only, then the Danes get a special favour after they rode head down into a rider who was in the right position! Head down into a rider trying to regain contact with his team mates.
Normally the regulations in force are the goto outcome, Australia - hard luck, too late! Danes - Exclusion for unsafe riding!
A chum of mine got a 12 month ban from CTT for "Head Down"!
So we're back to the bad old days of the "Blazers" screwing things up! MM
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

It seems strange that the rest of the team carry on when they've dropped the third rider, it seemed to happen a lot this morning, surely there's no point carrying on without the third rider, are they just hoping that they'll manage to make their own way back?
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

kylecycler wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 3:27pm
Postboxer wrote: 3 Aug 2021, 3:04pm How long before aero positions that don't allow you to see where you are going are banned? Hoping Jason Kenny can recover before his other events, looked quite spent earlier.
Apparently the Danes' excuse was that the regulations state that flags should be shown to riders to warn them that they're coming up on another rider and they weren't shown, but seeing as how he wasn't even looking where he was going...

Some tried to suggest that the Brit should have been up the banking out of the way like the fourth GB rider - that's why the Danish rider was so incensed - but that wasn't the case; he was the third rider, the one that counts, and as such he was where he should have been, riding the line.

Cautionary tale, though - I think a lot of us will have heard of roadies riding full tilt into the back of a parked vehicle because they've had their head down and haven't been looking where they're going - it happens, and the consequences are almost always serious.
3.2.097 When the commissaires see that a team is about to be caught, they shall, in order to
avoid a collision with the other team or hinder its progress, signal to the former team
with a red flag and a whistle that it may not perform any more relays and must remain
at the bottom of the track until the opposing team has passed.
[my bold]

Well you did ask! :-P

I can recommend Dr Hutch's twitter feed more details on these fiasc ... I mean controversies.

(IMHO the Danes were lucky to make the final. The lead rider was very conciliatory later, so I'm cutting him some slack, anyone would be upset in that scenario!)