Olympics! (spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
kylecycler

Re: Olympics! (spoilers)

Post by kylecycler »

When the unpredictable becomes predictable...

First line of a Guardian journalist's article on how Laura Kenny and Katie Archibald won the gold in the Madison: "Making the unpredictable look predictable is one measure of greatness in sport." :)

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/ ... atest-ride

Perfect summary of what Jamesh and mattheus wrote above - I reckon the journalist reads this forum... :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

kylecycler wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 4:48pm When the unpredictable becomes predictable...

First line of a Guardian journalist's article on how Laura Kenny and Katie Archibald won the gold in the Madison: "Making the unpredictable look predictable is one measure of greatness in sport." :)

Perfect summary of what Jamesh and mattheus wrote above - I reckon the journalist reads this forum... :lol:
From that link:-
... a clever choice of highly visible yellow crash hats ....
Is William Fotheringham a troll?
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

thirdcrank wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 5:12pm
kylecycler wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 4:48pm When the unpredictable becomes predictable...

Quite possibly, although according to some of our pals on here, wearing a highly visible yellow crash hat would have no effect whatsoever. :wink:
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Yellow helmets are easy to spot amongst the crowd especially when other rides have similar-ish pattern kit.
Easy spotting your partner certainly helps with the changeover.
On the other hand your opponents will also easily know who and where you are.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 11:42am Hi,
Norman H wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 10:09am Just watched Katie Archibald and Laura Kenny totally dominate the women's Madison, winning 10 of the twelve sprints to take the gold medal. So pleased for Katie Archibald after giving her all in the team pursuit and missing out on a gold medal.
Do you think that this is a one horse race when there is not much competition?
A bit like 35/0 in rugby / hockey etc.
I Think to imply that the opposition was weak is to do a great disservice to both Katie Archibald and Laura Kenny, and ignores the hours and hours of hard work that obviously went into that performance. That was a world class field. The Dutch were the world champions from the 2019 Doha world championships and Australia and Denmark were silver and bronze medallists respectively from those same championships.

KA and LK were simply a class above everyone else. The opposition wasn't weak, the GB pair simply made them appear so.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Guilty as Charged :oops:
I deserve that and knew that someone would say something for sure.
The men's race which is live at the moment, of course is a total different kettle of fish!
Halfway through and it's anybody's.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

kylecycler wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 6:00pm
thirdcrank wrote: 6 Aug 2021, 5:12pm

Quite possibly, although according to some of our pals on here, wearing a highly visible yellow crash hat would have no effect whatsoever. :wink:
I think the Troll here is easily identified.
Get back under your bridge!
(Or the helmet forum, if you prefer.)
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

mattheus wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 1:21pm I think the Troll here is easily identified.
Get back under your bridge!
(Or the helmet forum, if you prefer.)
Who, me? :) I wasn't being serious, I was just pulling your leg, sorry if I caused offence (assuming you're being serious).
Last edited by kylecycler on 7 Aug 2021, 5:16pm, edited 3 times in total.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Actually, seriously (ok semi-seriously), Annemiek van Vleuten was wearing a highly visible yellow crash hat in the women's Olympic road race and it did her no good whatsoever, sadly, even if she did get the Silver.

Then again, if Anna Kiesenhofer had been wearing one (she wasn't - she was wearing a white one, to reflect the heat, clever girl), the Dutchies might have spotted her up the road and done something about it!
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

kylecycler wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 1:56pm Actually, seriously (ok semi-seriously), Annemiek van Vleuten was wearing a highly visible yellow crash hat in the women's Olympic road race and it did her no good whatsoever, sadly, even if she did get the Silver.

Then again, if Anna Kiesenhofer had been wearing one (she wasn't - she was wearing a white one, to reflect the heat, clever girl), the Dutchies might have spotted her up the road and done something about it!
What on earth is this nonsense?
If you are being semi-serious, I fear for you.

If you're trolling, you're not as good as you think. You need more than utter nonsense to reel people in!
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

mattheus wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 6:08pm
kylecycler wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 1:56pm Actually, seriously (ok semi-seriously), Annemiek van Vleuten was wearing a highly visible yellow crash hat in the women's Olympic road race and it did her no good whatsoever, sadly, even if she did get the Silver.

What on earth is this nonsense?
If you are being semi-serious, I fear for you.

If you're trolling, you're not as good as you think. You need more than utter nonsense to reel people in!
Listen pal, I'm sorry if I've wound you up the wrong way. FWIW I genuinely think you're one of the best posters on the forum, and we seem to see things the same way as often as not - like, for example, earlier in this thread we were evidently both relieved that the Dutch riders in the women's road race weren't the bad sports they were unfairly portrayed too be (and I even broadly agree with you about hi-viz).

viewtopic.php?p=1625071#p1625071

What I meant in the original post about the women's Madison was that on one hand, as you wrote, no-one could have predicted that the British would win so well and so easily, while on the other hand, as jamesh wrote, they rode so well, and the fact that they would win got so predictable, that it got almost boring. So when William Fotheringham wrote, "Making the unpredictable look predictable is one measure of greatness in sport," it was as if he'd just been reading this thread. Maybe I even got my wires crossed about that too, in which case I'm sorry.

viewtopic.php?p=1627965#p1627965

thirdcrank then read the article (I hadn't even when I posted the above) and made the point (with his tongue in his cheek, I think) about the yellow hi-viz helmets, and I made what I thought was a joke about it, which evidently you took personally and didn't find funny (when I wrote 'some of our pals' I didn't even mean you in particular). I've apologized for that, I absolutely didn't mean to offend you.

I'm not a troll.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

.... thirdcrank then read the article (I hadn't even when I posted the above) and made the point (with his tongue in his cheek, I think) about the yellow hi-viz helmets, ...
You certainly got that bit right, although I had assumed it was obvious. Still, as I've posted before, it's not funny if it has to be explained, so, sorry for my part in this..

Fingers crossed for the rest of the Olympiad.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

thirdcrank wrote: 7 Aug 2021, 8:28pm
.... thirdcrank then read the article (I hadn't even when I posted the above) and made the point (with his tongue in his cheek, I think) about the yellow hi-viz helmets, ...
You certainly got that bit right, although I had assumed it was obvious. Still, as I've posted before, it's not funny if it has to be explained, so, sorry for my part in this..

Fingers crossed for the rest of the Olympiad.
Not your fault at all, thirdcrank, nobody's fault, hopefully, just a misunderstanding.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Jason Kenny retains the bragging rights at their house.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

thirdcrank wrote: 8 Aug 2021, 6:46am Jason Kenny retains the bragging rights at their house.
Any word on the women’s omnium?