Olympics! (spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Postboxer

Re: Olympics! (spoilers)

Post by Postboxer »

So they don't signal to the chasing team then, only the team being caught, all though of course they may hear the whistle. The signal is so that the team being caught don't swing up the track in front of the other team, not so the chasing team don't have to look where they are going until they hear a whistle. I hope Italy can't find 3 more Gannas.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Postboxer wrote: 4 Aug 2021, 5:18pm So they don't signal to the chasing team then, only the team being caught, all though of course they may hear the whistle. The signal is so that the team being caught don't swing up the track in front of the other team, not so the chasing team don't have to look where they are going until they hear a whistle.
Yeah, that's pretty much my interpretation.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Interestingly, Dan Bigham is the aero coach for the Denmark team. He of the tiny handlebars. He also has form for head down riding on the track.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Although at times I cycle with my head down for a few seconds this is normally when I've got plenty of space.
But last night I was close to hitting a parked car.
My only saving here was the fact that I was just coming up the hill and travelling rather slow so time to move out of the way.
I did it once many years ago I was stuck to the boot of the car, only way off was to push myself Onto the floor!
To this day I can never understand how there wasn't a single scratch on the boot of the car.
Couldn't turn on the front wheel and had to resort to straightening the frame in a roadside bench, frame snapped coming home from work about three months later managed to use my hand As a clamp whilst breaking and going round corners
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 9:52am Hi,
Although at times I cycle with my head down for a few seconds this is normally when I've got plenty of space.
My only saving here was the fact that I was just coming up the hill and travelling rather slow so time to move out of the way.
I did it once many years ago I was stuck to the boot of the car, only way off was to push myself Onto the floor!
To this day I can never understand how there wasn't a single scratch on the boot of the car.
Couldn't turn on the front wheel and had to resort to straightening the frame in a roadside bench, frame snapped coming home from work about three months later managed to use my hand As a clamp whilst breaking and going round corners
There are probably a lot of "learning opportunities" in there!

;)
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mattheus wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 10:29am
NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 9:52am Hi,
There are probably a lot of "learning opportunities" in there!

;)
That was 45 years ago.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not following the Olympics in the slightest, but what I hear over and over again is "Team GB".
Am I correct in saying, that "Team GB" is a new expression and this season is the first time the term has been used?

What was the GB Olympic Team called before?
Why a change of name?
Mick F. Cornwall
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Mick F wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:34pm Not following the Olympics in the slightest, but what I hear over and over again is "Team GB".
Am I correct in saying, that "Team GB" is a new expression and this season is the first time the term has been used?

Why a change of name?
No, it's been used since 1999:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Team_GB

Jonathan

(I think that it's not a good idea, and it still jars.)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Often heard the commentators say team GB & Northern Ireland. Seems Northern Ireland competitors can represent either GB or Ireland.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

cycleruk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 2:43pm Often heard the commentators say team GB & Northern Ireland.
"The team is officially known as the Great Britain and Northern Ireland Olympic Team... "

Jonathan
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Team UK would make more sense to me but then you'd lose the jingoism of the 'Great' bit.
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:37pm
Mick F wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 1:34pm Not following the Olympics in the slightest, but what I hear over and over again is "Team GB".

Why a change of name?
No, it's been used since 1999:

Jonathan

(I think that it's not a good idea, and it still jars.)
Dare I ask ... why???
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Because it represents the United Kingdom rather than Great Britain.

Jonathan
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

Jdsk wrote: 5 Aug 2021, 3:18pm Because it represents the United Kingdom rather than Great Britain.

Jonathan
Ah OK, fair enough.

(that was a more helpful reply than your earlier rather gnomic comment ; -) )
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

mattheus: GB represents the 'good old days' or even the 'great old days' (long gone) when Great Britain ruled not only the waves but the world, whereas UK - United Kingdom - is a bit 'meh' - doesn't really represent anything, not even itself - see 'Brexit' - and is probably on the way out anyway. :wink:

For me, however, Team GB jars as well - like I said, too jingoistic, maybe even delusional - I mean, you can be great, but calling yourself great is a bit naff, innit - so I think that's why I would relate more to Team UK, even if it would only be the better of two evils.

Not got much time for patriotism, tbh - tend to subscribe to Dr Johnson's view - last refuge of a scoundrel (ok that might not be what Dr Johnson meant in the context of how he said it but it's how I see it) - you are where you live, assuming you even live in one place, and that's about it.

I used to get depressed if a Brit didn't win or not enough Brits won (however you define that) but not these days - cyclists I support, even at the Olympics, are all different nationalities, which I think is healthier. Might not make sense when it's meant to be country v country but I just can't see it that way.