Olympics! (spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
kylecycler

Re: Olympics! (spoilers)

Post by kylecycler »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 6:06pm I thought you could set it up so either you had them working like normal shifters, or they could be programmed so eg. left shifts down and right up, with it programmed to switch between rings at a certain point?
Dunno, it's a pure mystery to me - never so much as seen Di2 or any kind of electronic shifting. Thanks for the info anyway.

I was just thinking, though, the way Annemiek van Vleuten's life and career has gone, especially where the Olympics are concerned, she missed a trick - she should have taken the bike change and still won (even though she still did anyway)! :)

I guess she just didn't read the script... :D
Syd

Post by Syd »

kylecycler wrote:
ratherbeintobago wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 6:06pm I thought you could set it up so either you had them working like normal shifters, or they could be programmed so eg. left shifts down and right up, with it programmed to switch between rings at a certain point?
Dunno, it's a pure mystery to me - never so much as seen Di2 or any kind of electronic shifting. Thanks for the info anyway.

I was just thinking, though, the way Annemiek van Vleuten's life and career has gone, especially where the Olympics are concerned, she missed a trick - she should have taken the bike change and still won (even though she still did anyway)! :)

I guess she just didn't read the script... :D
Di2 uses one button to shift up, another down. It can be programmed in a number of ways. Shifting one, two or three gears as its held of even moving all the way from high to low (and vice versa) if held in.

There is also synchro shift with changes both front and rear to minimise the change in cadence.

It’s possible, in this case, that the button stuck down. I’ve seen it before if the bar tape was wrapped too close to the moving part of the switch.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Syd wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 8:43pm Di2 uses one button to shift up, another down. It can be programmed in a number of ways. Shifting one, two or three gears as its held of even moving all the way from high to low (and vice versa) if held in.

There is also synchro shift with changes both front and rear to minimise the change in cadence.

It’s possible, in this case, that the button stuck down. I’ve seen it before if the bar tape was wrapped too close to the moving part of the switch.
Thanks for the explanation. It could be that it freed itself soon after but she probably just stuck with the shifter on the lower bars just to be sure - it was working again after she finished. If it had been the rear shifter on the TT bars that malfunctioned she'd surely have had to take a bike change.

I don't recall seeing a rider having to swap bikes because of an electronic shifter issue (unless that's what was wrong with Ganna's TT bike on the Giro), although some might remember from last year's World Championships Road Race at Imola, Cecilie Uttrup Ludwig's Lappiere got stuck in the lower ring towards the end so she lost any chance of a place.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Watched the 'Freestyle BMX' today. Rather them than me. :shock:
Where do you get to practice these acrobatics and the courage to try it for a first time. :roll:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/58045115
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

cycleruk wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 7:07pm Watched the BMX today. Rather them than me. :shock:
Where do you get to practice these acrobatics and the courage to try it for a first time. :roll:
It is certainly not cycling as I know it.
Same goes for the MTB racers.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Isnt it four medal for bmx now.........................................any for adult sized big wheel, brits on bikes yet................. :?
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

When do the track events start?
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

ratherbeintobago

Post by ratherbeintobago »

I see they’ve brought the Madison back (an event where no-one has a bloody clue what’s going on, possibly including those on the track) but not the individual pursuit which makes good TV and doesn’t require any explanation to lay viewers what’s going on 🤦‍♂️
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Here's an overview/explanation of the track races from Cycling Tips - I think I'm going to need it! :)

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/07/track-c ... explained/
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 9:25pm Hi,
Isnt it four medal for bmx now.........................................any for adult sized big wheel, brits on bikes yet................. :?
Gold in the MTB cross country for Thomas Pidcock.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I remember arguing with my mum whilst watching a recent Olympics, she thought there were far too many track cycling events. I pointed out that there are far more swimming events and most of the track events, the tactic isn't just go as fast as you can, as it is in all the swimming events. So therefore the cycling events are more varied and interesting. I'm hoping the track cyclists can perform better than the rowers but I'll be surprised if they dominate as much as they have in recent years.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Track cycling underway and on breakfast TV. I saw Brian Sandy yesterday, out on his bike and not hanging around. He must be recalling the pursuit at the Tokyo Olympics in 1964. :) At 88 years I hope I am still able to ride a bike.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Sandy
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Just happened just before 10 o'clock live.
Australia's four-man team have stopped mid race because one riders handlebars parted from the bike!
Attachments
3439B829-A56F-4B82-9779-0B063359705A.jpeg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mike Sales wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 7:10pm
cycleruk wrote: 1 Aug 2021, 7:07pm Watched the BMX today. Rather them than me. :shock:
It is certainly not cycling as I know it.
Same goes for the MTB racers.
It's certainly a lot more accessible to the youth of this country than some of the other sports we do sitting down. Having said that, it seems that part of the Team GB success in BMX may be down to having a secret replica of the Olympic track hurriedly constructed in a warehouse in Telford.

Exclusive: Britain’s BMX freestyle riders prepared for Tokyo in secret warehouse which housed replica of Olympic course

https://preview.telegraph.co.uk/olympic ... warehouse/

(You have to scroll down for this bit.)