Olympics! (spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
ratherbeintobago

Re: Olympics! (spoilers)

Post by ratherbeintobago »

Possibly interestingly, Shriever didn't get any lottery funding after the last Olympic finding review.
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Shame on both above counts.
ratherbeintobago

I assume she will for 2024
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Here she is winning the gold - it was close at the end. Chris Hoy started off in BMX, didn't he? Hard to imagine the big man riding one of these!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/olympics/58022557
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

:lol:
kylecycler wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 12:59am
Maillot Rouge wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 12:55am
kylecycler wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 11:18pm
I've got Eurosport and since the Olympics I can never see the cycling events on the schedule - even under 'ON NOW' when it's on now! I have to go to 'Olympic Sports' then 'CYCLING' if it's road cycling or 'MOUNTAIN BIKING' if it's MTB, or whatever. You're lucky, though, I've only found Eurosport and E2!
Get the guide up on ‘all channels’.BBC1 should be the first channel.Instead of using the down arrow to BBC2,ITV etc go up ES3-9 on channel 983-989.
Thanks, but sorry, should have explained, it's on my laptop. I'm one of these weirdos on the forum (I'm not alone!) who doesn't have a TV. :D
Ah not sure it’s available online.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Gold frames being prepared by Pinarello for Richard Carapaz... 8)

Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Never thought I would but I did.
Watched a lot of the BMX on GCN+ with a couple of Australian commentators. A lot of fun resembling a computer game in some ways. Great to see we got a silver and a gold.
However I did happen to see some BBC coverage later on. Abysmal, it was as if there were no other competitors other than GB. The Australian commentators put the BBC to shame. I do not regret my 19.99 to GCN+ one jot.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
rjb

Post by rjb »

With some bmx bikes now incorporating a 2 speed derailleur, it seems the ideal solution would be a 3 speed sturmey or a schlump drive bottom bracket. What do you all think.
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
ratherbeintobago

rjb wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 8:07pm With some bmx bikes now incorporating a 2 speed derailleur, it seems the ideal solution would be a 3 speed sturmey or a schlump drive bottom bracket. What do you all think.
Isn’t there something about the Tokyo course that made gears desirable?
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Tangled Metal wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:58pm I thought they had nicked the bikes from school kids off the street. Way too small for them. I also thought that the baggy trousers on some skaters such that they kept having to pull them up after every trick were a bit stupid too. Haven't they heard of a belt?

Seriously when other sports spend a lot on developing the latest kit, clothing and footwear skaters just want to look cool. Heck in some national team sports players are getting fined for wearing clothing that with best for them but didn't meet the look the sport governing bodies prescribe. But skaters seem to prefer their look over what works best!

I'm grumpy middle aged, I wear what works for what I am doing, looks are less important to me. I must be closer to a top, mainstream sportsmen in attitudes than be a top skater!
I always think this about the slopestyle events at the Winter Olympics, they seem to struggle to get fast enough for the huge jumps, whilst wearing huge, baggy outfits, with hoods flapping about too. I think the bordercross outfits are a bit more aero.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 9:42am Possibly interestingly, Shriever didn't get any lottery funding after the last Olympic finding review.
It will be interesting to see what happens to rowing's funding as they have done far worse than usual.
ratherbeintobago

Postboxer wrote: 31 Jul 2021, 3:37pm
Tangled Metal wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:58pm I thought they had nicked the bikes from school kids off the street. Way too small for them. I also thought that the baggy trousers on some skaters such that they kept having to pull them up after every trick were a bit stupid too. Haven't they heard of a belt?

Seriously when other sports spend a lot on developing the latest kit, clothing and footwear skaters just want to look cool. Heck in some national team sports players are getting fined for wearing clothing that with best for them but didn't meet the look the sport governing bodies prescribe. But skaters seem to prefer their look over what works best!

I'm grumpy middle aged, I wear what works for what I am doing, looks are less important to me. I must be closer to a top, mainstream sportsmen in attitudes than be a top skater!
I always think this about the slopestyle events at the Winter Olympics, they seem to struggle to get fast enough for the huge jumps, whilst wearing huge, baggy outfits, with hoods flapping about too. I think the bordercross outfits are a bit more aero.
Wasn’t it slopestyle where someone got disqualified for testing positive for cannabis?

1) Snowboarding, and
2) It’s hardly a PED.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

ratherbeintobago wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 9:07pm
rjb wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 8:07pm With some bmx bikes now incorporating a 2 speed derailleur, it seems the ideal solution would be a 3 speed sturmey or a schlump drive bottom bracket. What do you all think.
Isn’t there something about the Tokyo course that made gears desirable?
Cycling Tips just covered the story - makes interesting reading...

https://cyclingtips.com/2021/07/the-wor ... -followed/
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Concerning gears, does anyone know how the electronic button shifters on TT bars work nowadays? Previously, of course, they used bar-end shifters (I know plebs still use mechanical shifters, of course! :wink:). Apparently electronic shifting also has button shifters on the lower bars so the rider can shift from either (road race bikes now often also have 'sprint buttons' so that riders can shift with their thumbs when sprinting on the drops).

It's just that I was watching the Women's Olympic ITT, and after a couple of minutes, Van Vleuten's chain suddenly went from the big ring to the small ring, apparently all by itself. Her cadence went away up and for a moment she couldn't change back up into the big ring.

At first she thought her shifting was completely broken but then she reached down and tried the button on the lower bars, found that still worked and so used it for the rest of the TT to switch rings, otherwise she'd have needed to take a bike change (as it turned out she could quite possibly have done what Filippo Ganna did on the Giro ITT and still won, such was her margin at the end - almost a minute - but she wasn't to know that). The TT bar front shifter had been working perfectly when she was warming up and worked again after she stopped, it only malfunctioned during the TT.

So do you just press the button once to change up then again to change down, or are there two buttons, anybody know?
ratherbeintobago

I thought you could set it up so either you had them working like normal shifters, or they could be programmed so eg. left shifts down and right up, with it programmed to switch between rings at a certain point?