Olympics! (spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Tangled Metal

Re: Olympics! (spoilers)

Post by Tangled Metal »

What disciplines does Piddock compete in? XC, road and CX I think, but what's his ranking in each? The commentator said three disciplines I think and mentioned CX. Something about Pidcock just liking to ride.
TrevA

Post by TrevA »

Tangled Metal wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 10:50pm What disciplines does Piddock compete in? XC, road and CX I think, but what's his ranking in each? The commentator said three disciplines I think and mentioned CX. Something about Pidcock just liking to ride.
Pidcock didn’t do a full cross season, so he’s not as highly ranked as he could be. He’s ranked 10th, but Van Aert is only ranked 7th and Van Der Poel only 4th, even though they are clearly the best 3 riders at cross in the world.

https://www.uci.org/cyclo-cross/rankings

MVDP is World Champion at Cross, WVA was second and Pidcock 4th.
Sherwood CC and Notts CTC.
A cart horse trapped in the body of a man.
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Wasn't CX a Belgium invention to continue competition into winter for road racers? If true it's a pity you don't see more road racers also competing in CX.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Tangled Metal wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 11:24pm Wasn't CX a Belgium invention to continue competition into winter for road racers? If true it's a pity you don't see more road racers also competing in CX.
It's a shame the Gavere cyclocross race last December that Tom Pidcock won isn't available on YouTube - I watched it on Eurosport and it was the best race of the season. Cyclocross courses are quite diverse - that one was through woods but others are by the sea (although there's often a sand section anyway) or through parkland, and of course they're run in all weathers, with mud, even ice and snow. This is the 2021 World Championship race at Ostend:

I think the Alpecin-Fenix road team traditionally consists of cyclocross racers, including of course Mathieu van der Poel. The women's Alpecin-Fenix team, Plantur-Pura, comprises most of the best Belgian and Dutch 'cross racers. It's like they represent cyclocross in road racing and the team spirit is terrific - they put on a great show in the Lotto Belgium Tour a couple of months ago and won the team prize. Lotte Kopecky, who finished fourth in the women's Olympic road race on Sunday, won that Tour and also did some CX races this winter.

Cyclocross has yet to be included in the Olympics but there are a fair few countries who run CX races - currently around 20 or so.
rjb

Post by rjb »

Tangled Metal wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 10:50pm What disciplines does Piddock compete in? XC, road and CX I think, but what's his ranking in each? The commentator said three disciplines I think and mentioned CX. Something about Pidcock just liking to ride.
Tom Pidcock is also the current UCI eMTB world champion.
https://www.cyclingnews.com/races/uci-m ... b/results/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
simonhill

Post by simonhill »

Anybody got a link where I can watch the Pidcock race?

Kept TV on a lot yesterday and only ever saw 2 short clips - going through some rocks and finish line. Lots on Daley and Peatey of course. Seems like taekwondo is our new national sport from the coverage.
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

simonhill wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 8:15am Anybody got a link where I can watch the Pidcock race?

Kept TV on a lot yesterday and only ever saw 2 short clips - going through some rocks and finish line. Lots on Daley and Peatey of course. Seems like taekwondo is our new national sport from the coverage.
There's a 16 minute highlight package on the iplayer, but when i looked at it, it didn't show MvDP crashing.... maybe that also wasn't picked up live though?
I've got eurosport, they have whole events on catch up. For cycling and wintersports it's excellent.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Wish I'd got Eurosport player back when it was on offer for £19.99 for the year, it appears to have now evolved into discovery+, which has all the Olympic coverage, the BBC coverage is therefore quite limited. Discovery+ is £29.99 a year, £6.99 a month, but you can get an initial 3 day free trial that you will have to cancel before being charged.
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

Poor triathlete last night how a puncture 2k from end of ride.
Pulled it back in the run to get silver!
Amazing!

Cheers James
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Postboxer wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 8:57am Wish I'd got Eurosport player back when it was on offer for £19.99 for the year, it appears to have now evolved into discovery+, which has all the Olympic coverage, the BBC coverage is therefore quite limited. Discovery+ is £29.99 a year, £6.99 a month, but you can get an initial 3 day free trial that you will have to cancel before being charged.
Vos, from kylecycler's link to Cycling Tips:
In retrospect, it is easy and you would have done it differently, that is clear.
Always best to get your hindsight done first, when it's foresight or planning
simonix

Post by simonix »

simonhill wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 8:15am Anybody got a link where I can watch the Pidcock race?

If you search under “olympics” in bbc player, you can then select “day one”, “day two”, etc.

I found the whole Pidcock race in there no problem.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

thirdcrank wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 9:21am Vos, from kylecycler's link to Cycling Tips:
In retrospect, it is easy and you would have done it differently, that is clear.
Always best to get your hindsight done first, when it's foresight or planning
Trouble is, be honest, no-one but Nostradamus could possibly have foreseen how that race would go down! :)

There was a nice little footnote to the aftermath of the race - the Dutch were fiercely criticised for ignoring Anna Kiesenhofer at the end (just as they'd effectively done in the race!) but I think they were just shell-shocked and confused - none of the four is known to be in any way less than sporting in normal circumstances, quite the reverse, and if they're ever branded arrogant it's invariably just because they tend to be better than the rest.

Anyway, Anna Kiesenhofer posted this on Annemiek van Vleuten's Instagram - turns out Anna didn't know they didn't know either...

E7Ni1NZXEAAVKM3.jpg
mattheus

Post by mattheus »

kylecycler wrote: 27 Jul 2021, 12:30pm There was a nice little footnote to the aftermath of the race - the Dutch were fiercely criticised for ignoring Anna Kiesenhofer at the end (just as they'd effectively done in the race!) but I think they were just shell-shocked and confused - none of the four is known to be in any way less than sporting in normal circumstances, quite the reverse, and if they're ever branded arrogant it's invariably just because they tend to be better than the rest.

Anyway, Anna Kiesenhofer posted this on Annemiek van Vleuten's Instagram - turns out Anna didn't know they didn't know either...

E7Ni1NZXEAAVKM3.jpg
Excellent, thanks!

For me that ends the inquisition into the lack-of-good-grace accusations.
rjb

Post by rjb »

rjb wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 1:16pm
foxyrider wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 12:30pm Maybe Tom would've been a better pick than his Ineos team mates for the road race! :lol:

Great performance and a very convincing result
I believe his ineos team mate won the gold medal in the road race.

So who will have the bragging rights in the ineos team. :roll:
And when Philippo Ganna wins the time trial Ineos will have 3 current Olympians in there ranks. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Dramatic photo of Van der Poel's crash from The Guardian:

What we in Scotland call "daein' a heider".