Olympics! (spoilers)

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
foxyrider

Re: Olympics! (spoilers)

Post by foxyrider »

rjb wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 5:22pm in case you missed it here it is again . He's probably grateful he wasnt riding an orbit. :lol:
The more i look at that picture the more it looks like the Dutchman knew exactly what he was doing, his feet are unclipped and he's looking at his landing zone. It didn't work though, TP was unfazed and the landing clearly didn't go quite to plan either :roll:
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

rjb wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 5:22pm in case you missed it here it is again . He's probably grateful he wasnt riding an orbit. :lol:
It was me who posted the photo in the first place - I just meant, it's taken a day for me to get the joke about him riding a Canyon! :lol:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

... the joke about him riding a Canyon ...
Thanks for that explanation. It had gone over my head.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Maillot Rouge wrote: 26 Jul 2021, 1:18pm Is it Cavendish who said
“You might as well finish last as come 2nd”?
Few remember 2nd or 3rd placers after a few years.
They remember or we remember, do you want to be remembered or do you want a medal?
In the past we've seen Olympic competitors stop mid race and give up because they knew they couldn't get the gold, continuing would have given them probably a silver at least a bronze.
Any medals gonna be better than the medal at all, They broke the world record which of course would've been broken again but they never left with a single medal despite going to several Olympics.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
mjr

Post by mjr »

thirdcrank wrote: 28 Jul 2021, 6:29pm
... the joke about him riding a Canyon ...
Thanks for that explanation. It had gone over my head.
So did his Canyon.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

So Annemiek got her gold medal after all, in the TT :D - absolutely slayed the rest, won by around a minute on a ~ 20km course (the women did one lap, the men two, but her winning margin was almost the same as that of the men's winner, which in itself was a country mile).

And Primoz Roglic got the gold in the men's TT - awful pleased for him too - goes at least some way to balancing out the Greek tragedy, for him, that was the last stage TT in the TdF last year. He's had some rotten luck too lately, so maybe things will perk up for him after this.

Tom Dumoulin took silver after taking time off to recover his mental health, another story with a nice ending. He was one of AvV's training partners up in the mountains around Livigno in the Italian Alps - 'where the magic happens', as Annemiek puts it. She rode her TT bike up there as well as her road bike - today's TT course was hilly - and trained with Dumoulin and some of the other male pros, same as she did with the Mitchelton-Scott men's team in early 2019 and '20 - what she calls getting out of her comfort zone.

This was her other way of getting out of her comfort zone, to prepare for the heat and humidity at Fuji - riding her TT bike on a turbo in the sauna...

avv sauna.jpg
avv sauna tt bike.jpg
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

I’ve just been browsing through Sky channels and Eurosport have 9 separate channels all showing different events!
I don’t recall seeing any publicity for this!?
I only found Eurosport 9,8,7,6,5,4and 3 by accident because I pressed up instead of down on the guide!
Pendodave

Post by Pendodave »

Just saw some bmx.
Are there regulations that limit the size of the bikes and gear ratios?
It seems unlikely that they are optimal for getting round as fast as possible, but I guess they could be?
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

I thought they had nicked the bikes from school kids off the street. Way too small for them. I also thought that the baggy trousers on some skaters such that they kept having to pull them up after every trick were a bit stupid too. Haven't they heard of a belt?

Seriously when other sports spend a lot on developing the latest kit, clothing and footwear skaters just want to look cool. Heck in some national team sports players are getting fined for wearing clothing that with best for them but didn't meet the look the sport governing bodies prescribe. But skaters seem to prefer their look over what works best!

I'm grumpy middle aged, I wear what works for what I am doing, looks are less important to me. I must be closer to a top, mainstream sportsmen in attitudes than be a top skater!
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 7:48pm I’ve just been browsing through Sky channels and Eurosport have 9 separate channels all showing different events!
I only found Eurosport 9,8,7,6,5,4 and 3 by accident because I pressed up instead of down on the guide!
I've got Eurosport and since the Olympics I can never see the cycling events on the schedule - even under 'ON NOW' when it's on now! I have to go to 'Olympic Sports' then 'CYCLING' if it's road cycling or 'MOUNTAIN BIKING' if it's MTB, or whatever. You're lucky, though, I've only found Eurosport and E2!
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

Pendodave wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 10:47pm Just saw some bmx.
Are there regulations that limit the size of the bikes and gear ratios?
It seems unlikely that they are optimal for getting round as fast as possible, but I guess they could be?
All BMX are a standard size and always have been.That’s the point of them. They’re always single speed but different disciplines have different ratios.
My friend rides the same BMX he did when he was 12 or 13…that was 30 years ago.
Maillot Rouge

Post by Maillot Rouge »

kylecycler wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 11:18pm
Maillot Rouge wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 7:48pm I’ve just been browsing through Sky channels and Eurosport have 9 separate channels all showing different events!
I only found Eurosport 9,8,7,6,5,4 and 3 by accident because I pressed up instead of down on the guide!
I've got Eurosport and since the Olympics I can never see the cycling events on the schedule - even under 'ON NOW' when it's on now! I have to go to 'Olympic Sports' then 'CYCLING' if it's road cycling or 'MOUNTAIN BIKING' if it's MTB, or whatever. You're lucky, though, I've only found Eurosport and E2!
Get the guide up on ‘all channels’.BBC1 should be the first channel.Instead of using the down arrow to BBC2,ITV etc go up ES3-9 on channel 983-989.
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

Maillot Rouge wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 12:55am
kylecycler wrote: 29 Jul 2021, 11:18pm
Get the guide up on ‘all channels’.BBC1 should be the first channel.Instead of using the down arrow to BBC2,ITV etc go up ES3-9 on channel 983-989.
Thanks, but sorry, should have explained, it's on my laptop. I'm one of these weirdos on the forum (I'm not alone!) who doesn't have a TV. :D
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Single speed, no electronics, little (?) carbon fibre, no forever changing design rules .... BMX, what's not to like?
Love it. Two very well deserved medals.
rjb

Post by rjb »

djnotts wrote: 30 Jul 2021, 7:34am Single speed, no electronics, little (?) carbon fibre, no forever changing design rules .... BMX, what's not to like?
Love it. Two very well deserved medals.
Some riders were using a 2 speed derailleur. The cog race has started. :lol:
https://bikerumor.com/2021/07/22/olympi ... s-to-gold/
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D