TdeF 2022

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
thirdcrank

TdeF 2022

Post by thirdcrank »

Tour de France: Women's eight-stage race and men's 21-stage route revealed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cycling/58912981

I see the women's event is starting on the last day of the men's ie not directly benefiting from being organised in conjunction with the TdeF
mjr

Re: TdeF 2022

Post by mjr »

The women's Tour also has a 175km stage, which is more than the UCI 160km limit. The Giro was told of for a 170km stage and the Tour of Britain stopped short at 155km. Interesting.

In the men's event, the three days along the French-Belgian border look interesting for spectators visiting from the UK. Here's hoping the virus doesn't keep on being troublesome!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

The Womens Tour is hardly a Tour of France is it :roll:
We'll be in France for next years TDF and there's plenty of action close to us.Pity the Womens tour is later.
They could run them both at the same time and I can't see any reason not to!
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I thought that one of the points here was about the development of women's racing. While eight stages is fewer than the men's race, it's a development in what I presume élite women see as being the right direction. On it not being run alongside the men's event, I've read interviews with women in the past referring to the benefits of racing with spectators who are there mainly to see the men. Perhaps ASO and the police consider that two big races on the same closed roads on the same day is too much to organise. Keeping an open mind
mjr

Post by mjr »

Hellhound wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 3:17pm The Womens Tour is hardly a Tour of France is it :roll:
That's always going to be a problem for any new race. Even with the Tour of France starting with more stages than the Tour of Britain is allowed, it's still only 8 stages, so they have to choose between long transfers and only using part of the country. It's a reasonable mix for a first attempt, isn't it?
One will always end up as the ugly sibling and I can't see the men standing for that!
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

mjr wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 4:12pm
Hellhound wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 3:17pm The Womens Tour is hardly a Tour of France is it :roll:
That's always going to be a problem for any new race. Even with the Tour of France starting with more stages than the Tour of Britain is allowed, it's still only 8 stages, so they have to choose between long transfers and only using part of the country. It's a reasonable mix for a first attempt, isn't it?
One will always end up as the ugly sibling and I can't see the men standing for that!
I agree it's a start and not before time.
Hopefully one day it will run alongside the mens tour......or even be a mixed tour :shock:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Hellhound wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 3:17pm
except maybe the finite amount of manpower, actual time, etc, etc

for example, the Tour caravan runs about an hour in front of the race which would delay the start for race 2 by more than that, what about neutral setvice, the marshalls, the police?

Running seperately means everyone gets a fair crack of the whip with TV coverage and all the other stuff that makes the Tour what it is. equality in this instance would suggest seperate is better.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Hellhound

Post by Hellhound »

foxyrider wrote: 17 Oct 2021, 6:57pm
Hellhound wrote: 14 Oct 2021, 3:17pm They could run them both at the same time and I can't see any reason not to!
except maybe the finite amount of manpower, actual time, etc, etc
for example, the Tour caravan runs about an hour in front of the race which would delay the start for race 2 by more than that, what about neutral setvice, the marshalls, the police?
Running seperately means everyone gets a fair crack of the whip with TV coverage and all the other stuff that makes the Tour what it is. equality in this instance would suggest seperate is better.
I think there are both pluses and minuses for both sides of the argument.
It will be interesting to see what develops over the next 4 or 5 years.
There doesn't seem to be the same prejudice against Women's cycling as there is to Women's Football for instance and I,as a man,would love to see Women and Men in the same race.
Logistically it would make sense.Less disruption,all the media/police/security etc etc there.I think it would be possible.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The Tour de l'Avenir is an example of what's involved. It began as a junior version of the TdeF (1961) run in conjunction with it. Older members may remember that Alan Ramsbottom was briefly in yellow but there wasn't a maillot jaune big enough for him so he was presented with a Tee shirt somebody rustled up. The main point here is that even back then, when a road closure in France was less of a big deal, the newer race was split off and run separately, partly through the problems of running two races on the same roads

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_l'Avenir
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

We'll be in France for next years TDF and there's plenty of action close to us.Pity the Womens tour is later.
It's a great start, and it's probably a prep for a full Tour de France Feminin. Jennie Longo was the star of the first women's events, she used to win everything for France most every year, (World Championship/World Cup /Olympics) she still has a very fond place in the hearts of the French.
Slowtwitch

Post by Slowtwitch »

Correction: Jeannie Longo