Edinburgh > London RRA

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
thirdcrank

Re: Edinburgh > London RRA

Post by thirdcrank »

The roundabout where I went was deserted, which surprised me as it's so close to Leeds and W Yorks more generally. Perhaps these attempts get less publicity than they merit. It was, after all, only quite recently that the strict "no advance publicity" rule was changed.

Even with the benefit of the tracking on my phone - though with less detailed info than it shows on my laptop - I got in position 25 minutes before he arrived. It's a busy roundabout, and most of the time there's a steady stream of HGVs to and from the adjacent A(1) and I anticipated a delay at least. Cometh the moment, cometh the man and in bright sunshine he appeared in the distance on the A63 and the traffic disappeared. I'd worked out how much telephoto I needed but fluffed it but clicking on the pic will enlarge it (for anybody who doesn't know.)

I had been expecting local riders might be out marshalling but I suppose technology has done away with that.

While I was waiting I watched two red kites in the sky above but my efforts to photograph them were even worse than my shot of the record attempt.

Anyway, hats off to a great athlete and my thanks again to paulatic for plugging the gaps in my IT. I couldn't find any info this morning so I'm grateful I know the result. Bravo!
=================================
PS
We’d wondered if E2L wouldn’t get much interest
There's been little on here.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

No mention in the comic of the grumpy old get on the roundabout. Never mind, I was pleased - privileged - to be there and I was grateful to have what is now apparently referred to as the "heads up" that got me there.

I did once read something by Michael Broadwith along the lines that you don't attack your own record, but he must feel that a midsummer attempt might be a no brainer to bring it down further: much more daylight and warmer. Or there will be other RRA record attempts and it's good to know when they are coming up for dot watching or cheering depending on route. In the meantime, I'm looking for something noisy like a big bass drum.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I just checked the RRA www and I see that this attempt has been verified. :D

Well done to 24hourmaths!