The Tour (TDF) General not current action/results.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Edwards

The Tour (TDF) General not current action/results.

Post by Edwards »

Please do not post anything that is current about today.

Some people record the coverage of The TDF to watch later. In the past there have been problems where people have seen the result before they have seen the recording.

So if you want to discuss tactics, Cav ridding for Wiggins.

Technical, electronic shifters.

And anything else.

So if you should want to discuss stuff and not know want is happening then I will attempt warn if any of today's action is revealed in the thread title.
I do not guarantee customer satisfaction.
Last edited by Edwards on 16 Jul 2012, 7:02pm, edited 3 times in total.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
eileithyia

Re: The Tour (TDF) General not today,s action/results.

Post by eileithyia »

Like on other forums, add 'spoiler' to the title and keep the title non-committal...
titles like ' Cav wins' or Wiggo in Yellow' rather give the result away....... Whereas a titile like ' today's tdf... spoiler'... means a reader will be able to avoid that thread.... simples.

Often I come in from work, and relax with a brew and the forums, before I start tea and settle down to watch the recording... not fun to find the result already advertised on a thread that I could avoid if given a warning... but if the result is in the thread titile.... :(
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mattsccm

Post by mattsccm »

If its likely to be a bit of a cliff hanger I find the results first.I hate watching Cav cock it up after expecting him nearly win.
sirmy

Post by sirmy »

Why come to the CTC forums for racing results?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The days when you had to scour the small print in newspapers to get any cycling news are long gone. "Older readers" will remember when the Daily Telegraph with Phil Ligget and before that, JB "Jock" Wadley was the only paper to have regular detailed and informed cycling reports. The Times had about two lines when one T. Simpson took over the yellow jersey.

For the next three weeks, good news or bad, the results are going to be all over the media, partly because there's a direct link to the Olympics.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

sirmy wrote:Why come to the CTC forums for racing results?

i wouldn't... but sometimes the result is posted anyway when i did not want to see it! I come on here not to see race results but other stuff... but click on a board index topic and there it is!
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I thought of having two threads on this subject one showing the results and this one. This is to try and avoid some of the complaints from previous years.
If those that are interested can keep both threads near or at the top of the board then just maybe we will not spoil things for other people. At the same time it is possible to talk about things as they happen.

Only trying to be helpful.
Keith Edwards
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

sirmy wrote:Why come to the CTC forums for racing results?

You don't!

However people wish to discuss the day's race and that is legitimate fare for the CTC Forum.

The problem lies when you inadvertently get information you did not want and culd avoid.

I come home, check emails and tour the forums whilst supper is prepared and then watch the recorded race.

If you see a thread that is titled - "What gears are Sky Procycling using?" then it is probably safe to read, however if the title is "Wiggins comes second" then it gives it away.

The biggest problem occurs when you get to the content.

If the "What gears are Sky Procycling using?" then goes on to discuss the factthat frequent gear problems caused a rider to lose significant time then it will spoil the evening's viewing of the race.

Basically if the thread alludes to the day's events put spoiler in the title

However also respect this and do not post results or spoilers in non-annotated threads
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

The Radio Times had an interview with Cav in which he stated he would be riding for Wiggo, as the plan was Wiggo for the Tour and Cav for the Olympics.
Yet the commentators for the last 2 days have been speculating about Cav's role and what he will do.

I am beginning to wonder if the interview was just some form of sports type psycho thing or the commentators have been left out of the plan?
Keith Edwards
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

They've got to print something. Most of the time they are trying to stir up some fotballing controversy about which manager said what, or something similar. Different sport, similar reporting.
Si

Post by Si »

Given the reduction of uber climbing you'd have thought that Cav would have had an eye on the green again this year.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Call me daft but surely the the simple solution for those wishing to not know results is to not log onto any relevant tinternet forum beforehand....it isn't rocket science to be fair :?
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Tonyf33 wrote:Call me daft but surely the the simple solution for those wishing to not know results is to not log onto any relevant tinternet forum beforehand....it isn't rocket science to be fair :?

We have a thread running at the moment which is a spoiler for Euro 2012. People don't stick to the specialst forums - for all anybody knows, there may be a football forum discussing the TdeF results. eg Some Frenchie predicting that a home rider will not win the Tour in his lifetime :wink:
3tyretrackterry

Post by 3tyretrackterry »

32.4 km to go on Eurosport coverage a recumbeent trike on TV and a little bit of a comment and close up
There is hope for us yet :D
anwar.rhm

Post by anwar.rhm »

OK, a TdF non results topic.

Does the Lanterne Rouge jersey actually exist?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanterne_rouge

OK, according to Wikipedia it is recognised and awarded but is there an actual jersey that someone gets? Quick google search came out fruitless. If there is, are they given it in a ceremony like the yellow, green, polka dot or white jersey? More importantly where can I buy a replica?

Lack of photographic evidence is making me think that this is a myth!!

Anwar