Olympic road race action spoiler

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Edwards

Olympic road race action spoiler

Post by Edwards »

If you do not want to know the result look away NOW
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
thirdcrank

Re: Olympic road race action spoiler

Post by thirdcrank »

I do want to know the result but refraining from looking away seems to have no effect. :mrgreen:
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

thirdcrank wrote:I do want to know the result but refraining from looking away seems to have no effect

I always try to be careful about predicting things like this. After all they could fall at the last hurdle.
Keith Edwards
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Is no-one going to post the result in time for me to get down the bookies, then?
Si

Post by Si »

After all the hype, I suspect that we will be disappointed. Although Cav is probably the best sprinter there, and has a team that ought to be the best at running down break-aways with three of the world's best TTers on it, I think that he's very much going to be the marked man and every one else is going to be riding to beat him. In fact it wouldn't surprise me if one of our lads (Froome on the last climb of box?) goes of in a breakaway to mark it and finishes higher than Cav. Yet I am still hopeful that Cav can do it.
nez

Post by nez »

What is disappointing me is the BBC moving it to red buttons, BBC3 all over the shop. I'm dodging about trying to avoid women's football (not that I mind women's football, but I'm trying to watch the road race). Just as a chase began on Box Hill we cut away to a lot of promos about comedy programmes coming later in the year. If they are treating followers of other sports like this too they will have managed to upset everyone.

Does anyone know what are the time differences between the breakaway and the peloton? Because the BBC don't appear to.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I had to rescan our Freesat satellite to get the whole number of channels, I think you may have to do the same with Freeview.

I was watching the coverage on BBC using madams HD system upstairs, great picture. I could not stand the commentary there very so late and Mr Porter seemed not to know what was going on.
I am not sure he knows who is riding.

Watching downstairs now on Eurosport normal picture and adverts but the commentary is better. There is still no live time gap shown on this either.
Keith Edwards
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

What a shambles. No time gaps, and no list of who is in the lead group. Biggest bike race in the UK for years, and they can't even get the basics of the coverage right.
nez

Post by nez »

'The gap, even though we don't know what it is, means the chance must have gone now.' I feel sorry for poor Chris Boardman.
Si

Post by Si »

Well that was disappointing....rubbish captions, the other sprinters' teams trying to be too clever and so cav loses out, and to top it all off: we now have a wait to see if the winner was actually using his own blood for the race :cry:
nez

Post by nez »

The Germans behaved like they have with the Euro - selfish and short sighted. Poor old Cavendish. Now we'll have to hope BW isn't cream crackered for the time trial.
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Given that the gap as stated (when they could be btohered to state it at all) didn't seem to close even after the falls on the bend, I suspect that even the info we were getting may not have been accurate.
Worst coverage of cycling I've ever seen, just embarrassing. Even the filming was poor.
I felt sorry for the commentators, they seemed to be doing their best.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

No race radios no chalk board on a motorbike, just like in the old Olympic days. The skill of the riders with no outside help.
I gave up with the BBC even with the better picture and watched Eurosport at least the commentators there knew the riders names and how to use a stop watch.

The Olympics are not good for Mark C, if we are disappointed I wonder how he feels?
Keith Edwards
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

Eurosport's pictures were worse?
They must have been bad.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

The BBC's attitude to cycle racing hasn't changed much since Peter Dimmock was in charge of outside broadcasts.