UCI - Fit for Purpose?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Ontherivet77

UCI - Fit for Purpose?

Post by Ontherivet77 »

Since the Lance Armstrong debacle we have had a queue of cyclists telling us that everything is better now. However, Contador and Valverde finished 1&2 in the Vuelta and Vinoukorov won the Olympic Road race. As much as I like Contador for his attacking style, I'd much prefer it if i knew he was clean.
So the question is the UCI up to job particularly since they have been implicated in the Armstrong case?
Si

Re: UCI - Fit for Purpose?

Post by Si »

I already fold them lacking: Obree's treatment, recumbents and plastic hats...didn't need the drugs to convince me :wink:
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Can anybody point to any well-established sport that isn't in the stranglehold of superannuable self-interested buffoons?

(This isn't intended to support the UCI, just to suggest that its leadership isn't unique in the world of sport.)
Big T

Post by Big T »

As was stated in the Radio 5 documentary, the UCi are in the position of trying to promote the sport and trying to police it too. These two roles can conflict with each other. Drugs stories damage the sport and make it difficult to promote. Perhaps the 2 roles need to be separated?

I think the current UCI hierarchy have been damaged by the whole Armstrong affair and should stand aside in favour of someone new.

FIFA isn't exactly a paragon of virtue, nor is the IOC.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Or the FIA!
Si

Post by Si »

AUK?
itisaboutthebike