TdF how long do the bikes last?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Mark1978

TdF how long do the bikes last?

Post by Mark1978 »

I have been wondering that over the three weeks of the tour, how much of the bike that a rider starts the race on, actually gets to Paris? I know they'll change gear ratios etc according to the demands of the stages, but how long would each component, e.g. frame, drivetrain, handlebars etc actually last before they have to be replaced. Since they get their bikes for free it is a case of ride it for a few stages and bin it, or do they last considerably longer.

I'm thinking of this from the point of view of motorsport, where both the driver and car are required to do the entire race, whereas in cycling (as far as I'm aware) that's not the case, the rider can swap bikes if he needs to.
Brucey

Re: TdF how long do the bikes last?

Post by Brucey »

they swap bikes as required. Every rider has at least one spare bike, and many have special bikes for TTs (obviously) and sometimes the mountains, too (although the UCI weight limit has reduced the latter practice somewhat). There are also some 'extra' spare-spare bikes that are usually left set up for a protected rider, but can be adjusted for a domestique if needs be.

Some riders are notoriously picky and favour one frame as the 'main' bike over another ostensibly identical one.

In a big emergency a domestique will be expected to give his bike to a protected rider so that he doesn't lose time.

Frames, forks wheels, etc might do a season but are more likely to be scrapped off if they have been pranged. Carbon can be weakened without showing it. Traditionally, if road bikes survive a race season they may be sold off or relegated to training duties. TT bikes (which see far less use) might do several seasons.

During a stage race every bike used is cleaned and then inspected every day. Any faults are rectified, and wearing parts (chains, brake blocks, tyres especially) are replaced at the first sign of trouble. Since many riders will swap to the spare bike during a stage at the first sign of trouble, or a puncture, there can be two dozen bikes to check over every day, even if there are no big repairs to do. If there is a TT and a road stage on the same day the mechanics have to work like blue-ended-flies. They often work through the night to get it all done.

In answer to your question; some riders would aim to complete an entire stage race on one bike, but between punctures, crashes and other tech faults, the chances of doing this 100% are small.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Big T

Post by Big T »

IME experience most guys will have the same bike throughout the season and the team will take it back at the end of the season and it will be sold off, it it's still in reasonable condition. Bikes are fairly modular so bits can get replaced as they get damaged. Top riders like Wiggo and Cav may have one or more special Tour bikes, specifically for that race.

My son has ridden for several British pro teams (Merlin, Planet X, Plowman Craven, Sigma and CyclePremier) and using the same bike for the whole season has been the case with all of them, crashes excepted.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
RickH

Post by RickH »

I'm guessing that ones like this don't go for resale...

:twisted:
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

I don't suppose any one really knows. Unless trashed in a crash the frame will be used until it is superceded by the suppliers latest design, probably less than one season. If sold off then who knows how long they last in the hands of an enthusiast / amateur racer.
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Deckie wrote:I don't suppose any one really knows. Unless trashed in a crash the frame will be used until it is superceded by the suppliers latest design, probably less than one season. If sold off then who knows how long they last in the hands of an enthusiast / amateur racer.

Well my original question wasn't so much about how long the frame lives on; more how long does a pro team keep it. I had kind of expected for a frame to be used for the likes of the Tour de France only and then sold on / returned to the manufacturer, but it seems they use them for longer than that. Next question is would the likes of Chris Froome (say) use the same frame all season for himself? Presumably they are custom made to measure rather than a pick the closest size approach.
Malaconotus

Post by Malaconotus »

Mark1978 wrote:Presumably they are custom made to measure rather than a pick the closest size approach.

As I understand it, they are 'pick the closest size'. The costs of carbon moulds mean that even for pros the frames are not custom made.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Malaconotus wrote:
Mark1978 wrote:Presumably they are custom made to measure rather than a pick the closest size approach.

As I understand it, they are 'pick the closest size'. The costs of carbon moulds mean that even for pros the frames are not custom made.

Even more interesting, thanks :D
jezer

Post by jezer »

I recall that Sean Kelly said on Eurosport that in the past, when frames were made of steel they were custom built for each rider. Now they are all carbon the pros use standard frames, such as anyone can buy. Gosh, we can all pretend to be TdF riders :lol:
Power to the pedals
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

SlipstreamSports (Garmin Sharpe) were selling off ex team frames and forks at the end of last season. I suspect they have a round up and see what's good to go. There were parts available as ridden by some of their big names.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

RickH wrote:I'm guessing that ones like this don't go for resale...

Someone should have told him it wasn't a folder.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

With the advent of the Compact frame the need for fully customised frame diaspeared bikes can be adjust with the componentry to fine tune the fit. The old days of custom frame was largely a myth anyway. There were just more increments required with the top tube and seat tube lengths but as the bikes all had the same angles. You were really being measured to check which frame to build rathern than something customised to yourself. Unless you were a really strange shape you could guarentee that your 21 inch frame would be the same as your mates 21 frame and the taller guy had the same thing scaled-up slightly. There was some leaway when it came to touring geometry or race geometry. but in practice we all bought one or the other.
NUKe

Post by theugly »

RickH wrote:I'm guessing that ones like this don't go for resale...

What happened to that bike :shock:
RickH

Post by RickH »

IIRC the TdF peleton were negotiating a junction & the guy riding the bike went straight into a traffic island as the rest split to go either side. When they cleared there was one broken bike & a slightly dazed rider (but remarkably pretty much unhurt) sitting in the road.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

Malaconotus wrote:

Unless you are very special. I think Cannondale make a special mould for Peter Sagan, with a 58cm top tube and a 54cm seat tube.