Question about Le Tour?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
AlanD

Question about Le Tour?

Post by AlanD »

There is something which I have suspected since seeing the '12 Tour series and I am now reading through the book 'My Time' by Bradley Wiggins. What it says goes some way to confirming my suspicions and I'd like to know if anyone can explain what is going on? If anyone else has the book, it's chapter 15, 'Life in Yellow'.

It concerns the matter of 'respect' and controlling the race and it has left me wondering if it is a race at all? For I have the impression that there is an etiquette surrounding trying to win which seems unique here. Now I am not a competitive person, but if I was and I was in a race, I would be in it to win and I would not care less about anyone else. If it was evident that someone was going to beat me, then I would do everything I could to make that win cost as much as possible and I don't care if that person is the favourite or how highly respected he is. It's a race, the purpose is to beat the other guy and win.

Yet I am left with the impression that one person can dictate terms. Brad spoke of another rider, cannot find the name at present, who was such a strong personality that he would demand respect from all and woe betide anyone that tries to get in front. Bradley himself speaks of "respecting the yellow jersey", which sounds like don't try to take it.
OK, I agree with some of it. The episode with the tin-tacks on the road and Brad trying to stop anyone from gaining an advantage at others misfortune, that's just sporting fair play. Also stopping to take a pee. We all need to answer natures call so let's agree that when one stops - we all stop.
But there's still a big gap and I'm not sure if I'm explaining it very well. Can someone help me out here?

Thanks, Alan
Audax67

Re: Question about Le Tour?

Post by Audax67 »

Pierre Rolland spoke of defending Voeckler's maillot jaune out of respect for it, although possibly the sponsorship advantages a team gains by keeping it have a lot to do with that. The added zeal a team will show in defending its maillot jaune for this reason means that anyone who tries to attack it will be given a hard time, and anyone who succeeds by taking an unfair advantage a harder one.

When attitudes like that are present in the pack long enough, the original motivations will be forgotten and a rather diffuse idea will remain. After all, the original reason people respected the aristocracy was that they were the big brutes in armour on whacking great horses, and disrespect was a negative career move; yet the remaining aristos still command respect in many minds.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

The strongest rider can win the tour, but it is very often a rider/team that is strong enough who wins the tour. Strong enough that is, to resist any likely attack combination.

The likely attacks are not dictated by simple self-interest of indidual riders or teams on any one day; alliances and loyalties are formed and broken on a regular basis, yet some persist for months or years even. This is because the Tour is just one race in a long season, and professional bike racing is a business, not a pure sport.

The fact that the tour is a more open race than many in some respects should be evident from looking at the list of stage winners; Giro and Vuelta stages (and the whole race in fact) are much more likely to be won by a 'local' and this isn't just because of the make-up of the field or the priority the race holds in various rider's year plans; it is more to do with the fact that a break containing three or four locals is least likely to be chased down. Even teams who don't have representation may be content not to chase if they have secured agreement to have their chance on another day, or in another race.

Pure sport it may not be, but it does make it interesting.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Think of Chess,then think of playing Chess on wheels with bicycles and teams with many different personalities.
Then think,it's not just one race but a series of races,where points can be won and lost over long periods,then think of the persistent pressure of constant day to day hour by hour,minute by minute tactics,then think of dominant colours on a tapestry of exposition for gained funding in the future,then think a little deeper.........................mad innit? :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I had a lot more fun out of watching Voeckler race than watching Wiggo not perform on his egg ring two years ago :!:
Theres somthing about watching some riders like some sportsmen/women that dig in deep, Murray is not one of them :!:
To me what would make it interesting if the tour was staged with riders one an individuals self supported punctures and all. and other days joining up with their own team and then through in some random teams once a week all self supported, only picking up water at every 40 miles or so.
I couldnt get that enthused seeing Wiggo win especially when a lot of tours have been won several days before the finish.
Also the media are crap, even when all comunications were lost at olympics, they could of given rider stats and a look at the bikes etc, WHY DO cycle commentators always get the gears wrong and speed too, I would really enjoy knowing what gear they are pushing at what speed now and again.........
I now I am mad but the tour for cycle enthusiasts SUCKS I.M.O.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

.........I now I am mad but the tour for cycle enthusiasts SUCKS I.M.O.

IMO only the mountain stages are worth watching.Give me the spring classics and the Giro anytime for TV entertainment.
Tour of Flanders yesterday was magic.Paris Roubaix next week :)
W H Auden
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Mountain stages and time trials are what it's all about. Flat stages are basically just to fill in time and distance!
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Paris Roubaix now that I would like to do :)
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

I watched an hour of`highlights`of the Paris Roubaix last night,amazing!

It`s been a long time since i`ve seen it(Now able to get ITV4 for the first time EVER) Hard men or what :shock:

You SURE you want to do that mate? :P
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Yesterday's Paris - Roubaix was a remarkable display by a supremely self-confident rider (no names mentioned because I can't alter the thread title to spoiler.) When he bridged the gap to the front he had to take a rider across with him from another team so they had two in the leading four but they seemed helpless to capaitalise on the numerical advantage. Having been towed across on the eventual winner's wheel, the moment the junction was made he should have been away down the road with his team mate doing the marking. Roger Hammond seemed to know what he was saying when he pointed out that their problems with spectators were all caused by trying to get a slightly easier ride on the verge rather than in the middle of the road.

I felt sorry for the runner up but the best man - by a mile - won, even if it was only by a few inches.

(PS I don't know about an hour's highlights. I'll guess at 20 mins actual racing but it's better than we used to get "when I was a lad.")
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

thirdcrank wrote:Yesterday's Paris - Roubaix was a remarkable display by a supremely self-confident rider (no names mentioned because I can't alter the thread title to spoiler.) When he bridged the gap to the front he had to take a rider across with him from another team so they had two in the leading four but they seemed helpless to capaitalise on the numerical advantage. Having been towed across on the eventual winner's wheel, the moment the junction was made he should have been away down the road with his team mate doing the marking. Roger Hammond seemed to know what he was saying when he pointed out that their problems with spectators were all caused by trying to get a slightly easier ride on the verge rather than in the middle of the road.
I felt sorry for the runner up but the best man - by a mile - won, even if it was only by a few inches.

I watched the race from 125km to the finish.Yes the best man won and he did it in style,after the race he said it was his best ever classics win because of the way he won,IMHO he wasn't wrong.

(PS I don't know about an hour's highlights. I'll guess at 20 mins actual racing but it's better than we used to get "when I was a lad.")

Eurosport rules,Sean Kelly gives me such entertainment as a commentator :D :D :D
W H Auden
NATURAL ANKLING

breakwellmz wrote:I watched an hour of`highlights`of the Paris Roubaix last night,amazing!
It`s been a long time since i`ve seen it(Now able to get ITV4 for the first time EVER) Hard men or what :shock:
You SURE you want to do that mate? :P

Hi,
The course not the race :wink:
breakwellmz

Post by breakwellmz »

And not at their speeds either :)

I remember seeing it on Grandstand or World of Sport,and it was always seemed to be muddy!

It was almost as good as the Moto GP immediately before on BBC2 :P
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Used to be a mandatory ride to enter the TD.....bring it back.