TDF 2013 - possible spoilers

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Vorpal

Re: TDF 2013 - possible spoliers

Post by Vorpal »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Irrespective of why a HIGH vehicle was there in the first place, the driver if in doubt at all they can clear an obstruction should get out of vehicle and check :?:
This is what I do if I am coming close to an obstruction in my camper.
At no time in the drivers training was an hint given to observation of the size of vehicle and hazards this can bring :?

If I understood correctly (I was watching in Norwegian & my Norwegian isn't that good, yet), the finish line structure moves up and down & they lowered it just before the last bus arrived :?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
peterjvh

Post by peterjvh »

Goosey wrote:
peterjvh wrote:Perhaps I'm a square head, but can't the spectators be a little more considerate of the racers? Waving banners and flags in rider's faces, standing on the road at curves making the riders go around them, creating crowd bottle necks all over the place.......Today that dog almost caused a catastrophe!
Must be frustrating for the riders.

You've never perhaps been there and seen it live?

Or are you being sarcastic? We need a 'sarcastic' smiley here.

Nope, haven't been there. I tried to rationalize whether or not all the uncontrolled spectatorship was part of the allure and excitement for people who watch. I suppose so because people like to let loose.
Nope, wasn't being sarcastic. Wasnt criticising the organisors or police either. In my square headed and fussy way I simply feel the spectators should exercise a little restraint and consideration for these athletes who are trying to win the most famous and grueling bike race in the world.
Stop (comment to spectators) trying to touch the riders as they pass, stop waving flags in their faces as they whizz by at 50 kph, don't cause someone to lose, or possibly put them in the hospital because you can't control yourself or your dog.
End of rant. ;-)
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Over the years it seems, on average, for 3 riders to be brought down by spectators on the TDF. There is a least one dog per year and now and again horses and cows. :shock: :?
You have to make allowances for our continental cousins but they are very enthusiastic about their bike races. :D

I wonder what will be todays "close encounter". :roll:

P.S. I have never been to Corsica as I always imagined it to be a bit of a barren island. Really surprised at the scenery and how lush it seems. Obviously there are the high craggy mountains but the lowlands look quite pleasant.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Some of those med places look very elite and exotic, nice though.
what a pity that on British soil the program producers make NO atempt at the fantastic scenery that is around especially Tour of Britain when they go over Dartmoor, this years Tour Of Britain has its FIRST KOM finish at Haytor Dartmoor :D :D :D
That will be something to watch live and I will be there as its my local training ground.

Dartmeet hill last year (dartmoor) Was like a mountain pass in the alps :D
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

cycleruk wrote:
Audax67 wrote:Spent the afternoon hunting up restaurants for our Audax 600k, totally forgot about the Tour.

Kittel? Who he?

Kittel is one heck of a lucky bloke. :lol:

Highlights will be around on TV somewhere.
Can you get ITV4 in your neck of the woods?

Nope. Could pick up Eurosport but the English commentary is usually cretinous. I watch the direct France TV coverage on the computer: the advantage there is that I can see where everyone is any time I like, and pull up all the other details as well. Missing Jalabert this year - shame.

PS: kittle cattle: people who do rather unpredictable things — Country Life (Merriam-Webster dixit)
Last edited by Audax67 on 1 Jul 2013, 11:04am, edited 1 time in total.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

But the riders are not fused about breathing in all that exhuast gas out the pipes of the journalist team cars and race managers who need to be at the front :?

Why do you think they need special injections to improve oxygen uptake? Image
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Si

Post by Si »

peterjvh wrote:Perhaps I'm a square head, but can't the spectators be a little more considerate of the racers? Waving banners and flags in rider's faces, standing on the road at curves making the riders go around them, creating crowd bottle necks all over the place.......Today that dog almost caused a catastrophe!
Must be frustrating for the riders.

Yer problem is that a fair few of the spectators have been there all day, some sipping on an occasional beverage in the baking sun, with the publicity cavalcade going past trying to whip them up into a frenzy, listening to the race on the radio and getting even more excited...some will have driven down from the low countries and this is their annual holiday, etc etc ...so it's little wonder that those within the crowd who are more likely to have an excitable personality (the eejits) can get carried away.

But on the other hand, compare them to some football crowds and they seem quite restrained, especially considering how close they are to the riders. And, indeed, over a normal stage of the TdF the crowd must number in the tens of thousands, so the percentage of loons is probably smaller than it seems.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

You'll never know if you don't try it.
JamesE

Post by JamesE »

Someone's been taking Rule 5 a bit too seriously, I think. Does he think it'll heal if he can just stick the pain for a day or two?
theDaveB

Re: TDF 2013 - possible spoilers

Post by theDaveB »

Can you keep the bottles and/or food bags if they land near you or you find them in the bushes etc... ?

Or do they have people collecting them up ?

Was thinking more of a souvenir than anything else.

Dave
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

theDaveB wrote:Can you keep the bottles and/or food bags if they land near you or you find them in the bushes etc... ?

Or do they have people collecting them up ?

Was thinking more of a souvenir than anything else.

Dave

Yes you can keep them, they also hand them out onthe circus that passes through ahead of the tour.
NUKe

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have a bottle when the tour came to england in 1996 :?: Cant remember exact year.
I will sell it to you :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
theDaveB

Post by theDaveB »

I have a bottle when the tour came to england in 1996 :?: Cant remember exact year.
I will sell it to you :)

Er... no thanks will wait till next year :-)

Dave