Is it all down to Brailsford?

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
Adam S

Re: Is it all down to Brailsford?

Post by Adam S »

Mike Sales wrote:
Adam S wrote:Wogan qualified for British citizenship as he was born before the creation of the Republic of Ireland. He claimed this a few years ago so he has dual citizenship. As a bit of trivia, a similar clause allows (by a matter of a few months) Irishman Eddie Jordan to be a member of the British Racing Drivers' Club

The Irish Free State began in 1922. Is Wogan really 91? Or Eddie Jordan? Have I overlooked something?

You're correct but there's a difference between the Irish Free State and the Republic of Ireland. Though independent, the Irish Free state (later simply 'Ireland') remained part of the British Commonwealth of Nations (as it was called) and retained the British Monarch as King of Ireland. In 1949, Ireland became a republic, severing ties with the UK and the British Crown.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

Wogan was born in 1938. However as I understand it the Republic of Ireland did not become fully independent from the United Kingdom until 1949.
Mike Sales

Post by Mike Sales »

Adam S wrote:You're correct but there's a difference between the Irish Free State and the Republic of Ireland. Though independent, the Irish Free state (later simply 'Ireland') remained part of the British Commonwealth of Nations (as it was called) and retained the British Monarch as King of Ireland. In 1949, Ireland became a republic, severing ties with the UK and the British Crown.

I see. Thanks.
It's the same the whole world over
It's the poor what gets the blame
It's the rich what gets the pleasure
Isn't it a blooming shame?
Penfold
Location: Black Country in the heart of England (Gods country)

Post by Penfold »

So lots of interesting comments about Wogan and all the knighthood issues, but what about UK cycling?

Is the rise all down to Brailsford or is there a.n. other(s) who should be held high as the person(s) who has helped steer the good ship ' UK cycle sport' off the rocks and into clear blue water.

I only ask as I know nothing of the other backroom staff/team/directors that have lead this quite astounding turn around. Can it all be due to one mans leadership?
I keep my ideals, because in spite of everything,
I still believe that people are really good at heart.
- Anne Frank

There is a forgotten, nay almost forbidden word, which means more to me than any other. That word is England.
- Winston Churchill
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Hard to say, a documentry on the team would be interesting but I feel that the team would be cautious at giving some pointer as to their sucess.
The money probably helps to buy the best coaches or palm another teams staff :?:
Brailsford might be very good at what he does, however he does it......................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Big T

Post by Big T »

Penfold wrote:So lots of interesting comments about Wogan and all the knighthood issues, but what about UK cycling?

Is the rise all down to Brailsford or is there a.n. other(s) who should be held high as the person(s) who has helped steer the good ship ' UK cycle sport' off the rocks and into clear blue water.

I only ask as I know nothing of the other backroom staff/team/directors that have lead this quite astounding turn around. Can it all be due to one mans leadership?

The guy who started it all off was Peter Keen. He was Chris Boardman's coach and then went on to set up the World Class performance Plan (WCPP). Applying for and getting lottery funding. This started to pay off at the Sydney Olympics where we started to win medals in cycling, and grew and grew through Athens to Beijing and London. Peter Keen left British Cycling in the mid-noughties and Brailsford took over the mantle.

Brailsford has a small team that includes Shane Sutton and did include Chris Boardman. They go out and find the best coaches and can afford to employ them. BC CEO Ian Drake actually does a lot of the background work that enables Brailsford to concentrate on his main roles as Head of Performace at BC and Head of Team Sky.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
michael42

Post by michael42 »

Mark1978 wrote:Froome will get knighted. If he doesn't it would look very odd. Unless he has nationality issues that would prevent it?

Perhaps, but he hasn't really done as much compared with Wiggins.

Wiggins not only was the first Brit to win the TdF, he'd got a heap of gold medals from track and then got a couple more during Olympics hosted in Britain.
He's up there with Hoy and Redgrave in terms of Olympic success.

Not every person that wins a bike race (or gets a single olympic gold) gets a knighthood. Boardman got an MBE in 1992.

I suppose he may well get one if his success continues (or if he chooses to do charity work - as many famous people that get them for acting or whatever, a few get them because they devote time after becoming famous on charity work)
Brian1946

Post by Brian1946 »

It was just Dave Brailsford's time!

The previous upheavals and hierarchical changes to the BCF and it's transformation to British Cycling came along at and opportune time, Lottery funding and building of the Manchester Velodrome provided a sound financial and structural base.

The appointment of Dave Brailsford with his MBA and cycle sport background provided BC with a someone able to understand and apply sound business planning to the application of significant funding. That 'hard nosed' approach backed only those able to hit the 'numbers' required to demonstrate their ability to compete at the top level.

Is it all down to Dave Brailsford? A large proportion is, he's had to identify the talent to make it happen; but, 'all'... no! There are those behind the scenes that have made the right decisions too...
Those appointed to the Board of British Cycling.
Those who developed the successful bid for Lottery funding.
Those who made the decision to appoint Dave Brailsford.
Those who's business and financial management and planning provided the stage for Dave Brailsford to perform.
And of course access to a clutch of young riders with the necessary talent able to be nurtured.

Serendipity has a place in all of this.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Brian1946 wrote:It was just Dave Brailsford's time!

The previous upheavals and hierarchical changes to the BCF and it's transformation to British Cycling came along at and opportune time, Lottery funding and building of the Manchester Velodrome provided a sound financial and structural base.

The appointment of Dave Brailsford with his MBA and cycle sport background provided BC with a someone able to understand and apply sound business planning to the application of significant funding. That 'hard nosed' approach backed only those able to hit the 'numbers' required to demonstrate their ability to compete at the top level.

Is it all down to Dave Brailsford? A large proportion is, he's had to identify the talent to make it happen; but, 'all'... no! There are those behind the scenes that have made the right decisions too...
Those appointed to the Board of British Cycling.
Those who developed the successful bid for Lottery funding.
Those who made the decision to appoint Dave Brailsford.
Those who's business and financial management and planning provided the stage for Dave Brailsford to perform.
And of course access to a clutch of young riders with the necessary talent able to be nurtured.

Serendipity has a place in all of this.

Like many things, the elements that make up the whole are on themselves adequate, but will only with the right catalyst will the full potential be realised
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Let's not forget Rupert Murdoch's money paying for the whole thing. Am very suspicious of that man and those he buys. Brailsford and his riders have shown little conscience about taking the Murdoch shilling and one wonders what else they'll do to win.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Even charity riders need the sponsors too, or so it seems.
I am not condoning where the money comes from, in life there's no such thing as a free lunch or self made, you still need someone to open the doors. I.M.O.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
KeithM

Post by KeithM »

Some eyecatching comments from Sean Yates in this article, including that Wiggo nearly went home from last year's Tour after Froome's "attack" and had to be persuaded to continue by Yates and Brailsford, also that "there is no one at Sky who knows much about bike riding".

http://road.cc/content/news/93418-sean- ... ris-froome