Draft Legal Tri Bars

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
harttss3

Draft Legal Tri Bars

Post by harttss3 »

My son is now competing in an age group where he can use tri bars in his triathlon competitions. He has been told that they need to be draft legal; as we understand it they cannot extend beyond the brake hoods and must be bridged. Any recommendations for either a reasonably priced set of tri bars or which ones can be successfully modified. Also, if modified, what models of bridge are available. :?:
Brucey

Re: Draft Legal Tri Bars

Post by Brucey »

it all sounds rather complicated but it is laid out here;

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/trirules.html

which may or may not mean that you need them to be draft legal.

Years ago I bridged some tribars by using a very high-tech method; a length of broom handle and two wood screws; not because I had to, but because it made the whole thing stiffer and gave me somewhere better to mount my gear levers.

I'm not sure of the reasoning behind the bridging clause, but I note that it does not appear to say that the bridge has to be at the ends of the bars (which would be sensible if you were worried about them making holes in people) or that the bridge has to be at all strong or anything. Some appear to have a token flimsy piece of plastic as a bridge.

My suspicion is that by the time you have found a set that will physically fit to your handlebars and give a comfy position, you will have weeded out about 90% of the bars on the market, so making a shortlist and then choosing from that would seem like a good idea.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~