TdF - a different point of veiw.

Now we have something / quite-a-lot to discuss and celebrate.
cycleruk

TdF - a different point of veiw.

Post by cycleruk »

A mechanics job
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7raIxrzodt4

(perhaps I should post this in a different section but I found it interesting after yesterdays horrific crash)
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Postboxer

Re: TdF - a different point of veiw.

Post by Postboxer »

Thanks for that, might have to check that out more. Wish I could speak the language though.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Postboxer wrote:Thanks for that, might have to check that out more. Wish I could speak the language though.

He seems to flip between french, english & maybe another?
You'll never know if you don't try it.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
The addition of this stuff minus a nasty bits (if any) would make the TV programs a bit more interesting.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

The one thing I've noticed from all the footage I've seen of that crash, and I dare hardly mention it, is. Not seen a a single h****t split open in the usual ,picture of it saved my life, [rude word removed].

I rarely wear one but if I did, more often, then I want one the pros have please. Eh! How Much?
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

I think maybe some of that is that they'll be a lot better at falling off than I am.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Really, a helmet debate? :wink:

I think I am not saying anything controversial or entering the helmet debate at all by saying that the vast majority of bicycle collisions do not involve people hitting the tops and backs of their heads, so seeing a group of cyclists falling and not damaging helmets is not unexpected. We've evolved to be quite good at protecting our heads in falls.
hamster

Post by hamster »

No badly broken bikes either despite the usual folklore about smashed carbon!
mjr

Post by mjr »

hamster wrote:No badly broken bikes either despite the usual folklore about smashed carbon!

Geraint Thomas's has already smashed in a smaller crash. http://www.independent.ie/sport/other-s ... 53577.html (search for "cracked")

Bicycler wrote:I think I am not saying anything controversial or entering the helmet debate at all by saying that the vast majority of bicycle collisions do not involve people hitting the tops and backs of their heads, so seeing a group of cyclists falling and not damaging helmets is not unexpected. We've evolved to be quite good at protecting our heads in falls.

I've marked in bold what I think are the controversial bits. Please start a discussion in the helmet subforum if you'd like to know why.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

cycleruk wrote:He seems to flip between french, english & maybe another?

Spanish.

It’s an amazing video. The moans of pain in the background are pretty harrowing.

hamster wrote:No badly broken bikes either despite the usual folklore about smashed carbon!

Contador broke a carbon rim today. (Might have done the same to a metal one?) Pinot had an electric-shift problem that lost him serious time when he couldn’t change gears. Inexplicably lost power. At first I thought he was running SRAM, but I later saw in a photo it was Shimano Dura-Ace (the electric version).

I think new technology does go wrong more often, though that doesn’t mean it is inherently bad. It just means it isn’t mature yet. In time, new technology becomes the old reliable stuff. Separately from its function, though, I find electric shifting antithetical to cycling.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Is that a special quick release bike roof rack, or are they all like that?

Never used one myself.

Ferdinand