CEO's statement

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: CEO's statement

Post by Mick F »

Heltor Chasca wrote:I have done lots of charity work in the form of volunteering over the years and it amazes me how many charities treat some volunteers like lowlife employees. They needn't be treated like kings and queens, but charities seem to forget these people are giving up their time for nothing. They are very precious.
Absolutely!

I'm an unpaid volunteer for a few different organisations .......... and for one of them, I am treated with respect and I am valued, consequently I treat them with respect and value them.

Also, I'm an unpaid volunteer on this forum. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

Si wrote:
Why did not some one up the chain of command just post it them selves :?: Publicity officer etc.

Fair question. Communications Officer is having issues logging into the forum at the moment.

Must be trying to get past the dozens of cancel notifications on Tapatalk
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Mick F wrote:I'm an unpaid volunteer for a few different organisations .......... and for one of them, I am treated with respect and I am valued, consequently I treat them with respect and value them.

Also, I'm an unpaid volunteer on this forum. :wink:

... And very much respected and valued for being so. ;-)
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thank you Andy! :D
This forum is valued and respected by all that use it. The few of us who keep it running smoothly do so happily and voluntarily.

CTC HQ however, are a different kettle of fish. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

From Paul Touhy placed on my LinkedIn account but since deleted.

Philip is very committed to cycling but somewhat misguided. He stood for re-election of the charity board but times have changed and he received the lowest polling ever in CTC's 138 history with 0.2% of the possible share of voters. But that's democracy. It's such a shame he pursues this vendetta against a charity working for cycling that he still promotes for his own self interest. He could do much more positively for cycling if he chose to. Meanwhile next week the Minister for cycling will announce £500,000 to help Cycling Uk get more hard to reach communities to engage with cycling to school, work for pleasure and good health. Just for clarity. The vote for our rebrand was 15-1, not 10 -5.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Philip Benstead wrote:From Paul Touhy placed on my LinkedIn account but since deleted.

Philip is very committed to cycling but somewhat misguided. He stood for re-election of the charity board but times have changed and he received the lowest polling ever in CTC's 138 history with 0.2% of the possible share of voters. But that's democracy. It's such a shame he pursues this vendetta against a charity working for cycling that he still promotes for his own self interest. He could do much more positively for cycling if he chose to. Meanwhile next week the Minister for cycling will announce £500,000 to help Cycling Uk get more hard to reach communities to engage with cycling to school, work for pleasure and good health. Just for clarity. The vote for our rebrand was 15-1, not 10 -5.

So Philip, what are you wanting to achieve with all these actions? You voted to change the name so what name do you want it to be? And you want your not being re-elected to Council to be investigated but to what end? If you really did poll 0.2% then I can't see how the outcome is going to be any different even if there were some irregularities.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Philip published the results of the South East Council elections on YACF. Voter turnout was approximately 2% of the electorate.

In "round one" Philip gained around 10% of the votes cast which seems a fairer way to report the matter.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
beardy

Post by beardy »

The winning candidate got an amazing .5% of the vote in comparison to Phillip's .2%.
Now there is a democratic mandate to be proud of. A whole 250% better.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

beardy wrote:The winning candidate got an amazing .5% of the vote in comparison to Phillip's .2%.
Now there is a democratic mandate to be proud of. A whole 250% better.

From those figures it looks to me like the CEO was being exceptionally unfair in his comments. Quite inappropriate somebody in his position.

Ian
Philip Benstead

In previous election at national level Jim brown received 0.03% of the vote and won while at the same time in the regional election I obtain more votes in relative and absolute term then Jim and also won
Philip Benstead

TonyR wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:From Paul Touhy placed on my LinkedIn account but since deleted.

So Philip, what are you wanting to achieve with all these actions? You voted to change the name so what name do you want it to be?

I vote to look into it in 2014 under Gorden anyway what is wrong with CTC - We are Cycling
And you want your not being re-elected to Council to be investigated but to what end? If you really did poll 0.2% then I can't see how the outcome is going to be any different even if there were some irregularities.
Philip Benstead

What is wrong with CTC - We are Cycling
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Philip Benstead wrote:What is wrong with CTC - We are Cycling

What's wrong? It means nothing to most people except the few cognoscenti. Which is probably why so many people have joined British Cycling even though its a race organisation. Its obvious what it is but CTC could be anything and if you do spell it out as Cyclists' Touring Club, most people will think its not relevant to what they do - a bit like the Rough Stuff Fellowship or AUK.
honesty

Post by honesty »

Out of interest I showed the old brand (winged wheel) and the new brand to some non cyclists at work.
They said the old brand made them think of old crusties doing heroic rides, and the new one as more family friendly and inclusive. If that's the aim then CUK seems to been heading in the right direction...
SA_SA_SA

Post by SA_SA_SA »

But I would have thought members of the Cyclists Touring Club would have been expecting consultants to come up with some clever name/tagline that retained Touring but was immediately understandable as covering Transport/utility Cyclists
too* (and how long till they discover they like cycle touring too :) ?) :

why would you need to pay consultants to come up with a name that drops Touring and just has Cycling in the name?
------------You may not use this post in Cycle or other magazine ------ 8)