CEO's statement

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Bmblbzzz

Re: CEO's statement

Post by Bmblbzzz »

vorsprung wrote:One little problem with this rebranding is that there is already an organisation called "We are cycling" that owns the domain names "wearecycling.com" and "wearecycling.co.uk"

wearecycling.com is a link to various sportif-type events in France, Belgium and Italy, so potential confusion but probably just about distinct enough – at least for cyclists, certainly the general public will confuse them. But the .co.uk domain is parked; I suspect it might even be owned by CTC, awaiting use.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bmblbzzz wrote:But the .co.uk domain is parked; I suspect it might even be owned by CTC, awaiting use.

Registered in 2009 and to "Global Domain Names Limited" of the Isle of Man since at least late 2012, so it seems unlikely.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

The domain name of CyclingUK.org was registered on 9 Nov 2015. Whoever registered it has not revealed themselves, choosing to use the Identity Protect Ltd privacy service instead.

Who could the real owner be? Your guess is as good as mine :mrgreen: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/ctc-to ... -uk/019104

CHANGE OF THE BRANDING NAME OF THE “CTC” to “CYCLING UK”
DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

We have made it on to BikeBiz go to the bottom of the page
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Philip Benstead

I was asked to do this petition by a CTC member, some of the councillor want to do it but they did not have the numbers on council to get it though.

The re-branding name change does not need to go to the AGM, what is the alternative?
rualexander

Post by rualexander »

Why is the petition relying on old fashioned pen, paper, and postage?
Surely an online petition would be much more effective.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mjr wrote:
Bmblbzzz wrote:But the .co.uk domain is parked; I suspect it might even be owned by CTC, awaiting use.

Registered in 2009 and to "Global Domain Names Limited" of the Isle of Man since at least late 2012, so it seems unlikely.

I get it registered to a named individual (living in Tadcaster, Yorkshire). Registered end Jan 2014 (expires late Jan 2018).

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

rualexander wrote:Why is the petition relying on old fashioned pen, paper, and postage?

The petition is being made under Article 11 of the Memorandum of Association. Article 11 (possibly part of the original constitution carved in stone* :wink: ) requires the petition to be "pen, paper and postage". Thems the rules :mrgreen: .

Edit* :shock: Not introduced until 1891, which means that whilst it's not as old as the Winged Wheel it probably qualifies as part of our heritage :wink: .

John Catt wrote:... In fact intriguingly I came across the blow by blow notes of the Special General Meeting held on the 13th November 1891when the rule about polling was introduced in an old Gazette I have photographed and put on the web at: http://picasaweb.google.com/LandRCTC/CT ... directlink ... The report starts on page 350 but the last 2 pages (359 & 360) cover the polling issue and I think make interesting reading. ...
From viewtopic.php?f=38&t=46053&p=378045&#p378207
Last edited by gaz on 22 Feb 2016, 11:37pm, edited 1 time in total.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Given how many of us in local member groups have CTC Brigadoon plastered all over our kit, I suspect the CTC is going to be around for a good few years yet, regardless of what head office now say we are called.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I have only been a member for 5 years.
It seems that the biggest enemy the CTC members have is the CTC .... after many years of being a group of like minded cyclists it has become a charity and changed its name ......
Senior moment ... as a paying member who asked me, really, who asked me .. or you ?

Maybe a new club could rise from this debacle.
CTC.CC.com
If everybody who is unhappy about the current situation would vote with their feet and pm me I will compile the new club list ......purchase the domain and form the company.

It's that easy .... if you really mean it !!!

Or is this just another group of GOM having a winge ... seriously.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
bobzeller

Post by bobzeller »

Wise people warned this would happen. Most of us ignored the warning. It's time now to direct people to this: http://www.touringcyclistclub.org.uk/Forum/index.php

See you there!

Cheers

Bob
gaz

Post by gaz »

The CEO's statement is on the forum. It's linked from CTC's facebook and twitter accounts. The rebrand has mentions on Road.CC, BikeBiz, Singletrackworld and probably many more.

There is somewhere that the news has yet to appear: http://www.ctc.org.uk/ :roll: .
Philip Benstead

landsurfer wrote:I have only been a member for 5 years.
It seems that the biggest enemy the CTC members have is the CTC .... after many years of being a group of like minded cyclists it has become a charity and changed its name ......
Senior moment ... as a paying member who asked me, really, who asked me .. or you ?

Maybe a new club could rise from this debacle.
CTC.CC.com WHAT ABOUT CT.CLUB?
If everybody who is unhappy about the current situation would vote with their feet and pm me I will compile the new club list ......purchase the domain and form the company.

It's that easy .... if you really mean it !!!

Or is this just another group of GOM having a winge ... seriously.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Volunteers are being sought to support the re-brand roll-out to MGs, ad drawn up 15 Feb.

More Volunteers to support new MG web pages.

Hurry offers close 25 Feb 2016 :mrgreen: .
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

rualexander wrote:Why is the petition relying on old fashioned pen, paper, and postage?

Nah, those pining for their Cyclist Touring Club still use quill pens and velum to communicate :wink: