CEO's statement

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Si

Re: CEO's statement

Post by Si »

TBF, if you want to attract dyed in the wool tourists, hard core MTBers, race snake roadies, etc then that pic ain't really it. If you want to attract people who know next to nothing about cycling and may be go out round the park with their kids once a month then that picture really speaks to them...."kid, having fun, getting fit...what's not to like?". They will care nothing for lack of brakes, helmet issues, BSOs, etc etc

This is why I always say that cyclists should never be put in charge of campaigns that try to bring cycling to the masses (I also say that people who aren't cyclists shouldn't be put in charge either, but that's by the by)
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Psamathe wrote:
Philip Benstead wrote:...
Are the anti wrcu causing an allergic reaction to an "invader, the immune system as been triggered..

Sorry, it's WACU not WRCU.

My error

Are the anti wacu causing an allergic reaction to an "invader, the immune system as been triggered.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I thought there where more than just 2000 members ..... does this mean that there are lots more who weren't asked?

Personally I think the name change is unnecessary, bland and a pointless waste of time and money .... How much does the CEO of this charity get paid ... by the marketing company as well as us ...???
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Dennis_Snape

Post by Dennis_Snape »

Our charity will still legally be registered as the Cyclists’ Touring Club with its charity and companies registrations unchanged. The Cyclists’ Touring Club is not being disbanded. In fact, part of the need for this change is because we hope the new brand will enhance our touring offering.

Sorry I don't believe a word of it. CTC has abandoned touring already. I mentioned in my post earlier....expect lots of Management Hyperbole/BS. We all recall the promises before the charity vote about how existing touring benefits will remain. GO TCC http://touringcyclistclub.org.uk/
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

Psamathe wrote:But is does abbreviate to WACU - so maybe worthwhile to al least give us all a good laugh.

WACUK surely? Since UK is already an abbreviation.
Last edited by matt_twam_asi on 18 Feb 2016, 3:27pm, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Dennis_Snape wrote:
Our charity will still legally be registered as the Cyclists’ Touring Club with its charity and companies registrations unchanged. The Cyclists’ Touring Club is not being disbanded. In fact, part of the need for this change is because we hope the new brand will enhance our touring offering.

Sorry I don't believe a word of it. CTC has abandoned touring already. I mentioned in my post earlier....expect lots of Management Hyperbole/BS. We all recall the promises before the charity vote about how existing touring benefits will remain. GO TCC http://touringcyclistclub.org.uk/

It's actually a bit insulting and reflects on the organisation that they feed us this rubbish expecting us to believe it.

In truth the organisation departed from "Touring" and "Club" some time ago. Now they are just updating the name to reflect the situation. A club hijacked by those running it for their own interests and what was a membership loses out.

Ian
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

matt_twam_asi wrote:
Psamathe wrote:But is does abbreviate to WACU - so maybe worthwhile to al least give us all a good laugh.

WACUK surely? Since UK is already an abbreviation.

Good point, well made... Engages research team, runs team-building seminar, has Team Lunch (on expenses of course) and discovers:

http://wacuk.com/index.php/about-us

Oh dear!
gaz

Post by gaz »

Si wrote:
Why did not some one up the chain of command just post it them selves :?: Publicity officer etc.

Fair question. Communications Officer is having issues logging into the forum at the moment.

David Murray has been in post as Communications Manager for almost 12 months, you'd have thought he'd have figured out how to log in by now :wink: .

I suppose the task could have been delegated to Matt "I feel passionately about improving the communication outputs from CTC" Mallinder.

My suspicion is that a few shots may have been fired at either of the above messengers. Upon reflection they chose wisely :wink: .

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
We are Cycling UK.
Bazza55

Post by Bazza55 »

A total disgrace, I feel as though I've been robbed. We are the CYCLISTS TOURING CLUB!
PH

Post by PH »

Chief Executive’s statement on CTC’s new brand
We will also be back in touch with you before then to provide you with new resources and guidance so that your group can maximise this opportunity to raise the profile of your group locally, to help to attract new members and to gain local media interest.

I'm all for my local group raising it's profile and attracting new members but I hope it doesn't involve a sudden name change. My MG has spent considerable amounts of money on branded and promotional material, jerseys, stickers, cards, website... small beer to National Office maybe, but a lot to the idividuals and group who've spent it.
I also find it hard to imagine how Cycling UK can be incorporated into a local group name. The usual format now is *place* CTC or CTC *place* It would make no sense to just replace CTC with CUK.
Si

Post by Si »

gaz wrote:
Si wrote:
Why did not some one up the chain of command just post it them selves :?: Publicity officer etc.

Fair question. Communications Officer is having issues logging into the forum at the moment.

David Murray has been in post as Communications Manager for almost 12 months, you'd have thought he'd have figured out how to log in by now :wink: .

I suppose the task could have been delegated to Matt "I feel passionately about improving the communication outputs from CTC" Mallinder.

My suspicion is that a few shots may have been fired at either of the above messengers. Upon reflection they chose wisely :wink: .

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
We are Cycling UK.

Note, I didn't say that he didn't know how to log in, but that he was having issues doing so.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PH wrote:
Chief Executive’s statement on CTC’s new brand
We will also be back in touch with you before then to provide you with new resources and guidance so that your group can maximise this opportunity to raise the profile of your group locally, to help to attract new members and to gain local media interest.

I'm all for my local group raising it's profile and attracting new members but I hope it doesn't involve a sudden name change. My MG has spent considerable amounts of money on branded and promotional material, jerseys, stickers, cards, website... small beer to National Office maybe, but a lot to the idividuals and group who've spent it.
I also find it hard to imagine how Cycling UK can be incorporated into a local group name. The usual format now is *place* CTC or CTC *place* It would make no sense to just replace CTC with CUK.

It has to be "bad luck" on your group (NO seem to consider your requirements as less important than their own).

Name is changing (announcement made). Thus the organisation has to use new name (to use both would confuse the message). If you are to benefit from the publicity, etc. you will have to go with the new name ('cos explaining to people "we are CTC which is really what WACU is except WACU went and got a new name and ...." is going to confuse everything even more).

I would assume that as the name change has now been announced the member groups will have already been made aware as to what is happening and what the changes will mean to them. (To make a public announcement without briefing the MGs is advance would just never happen).

I think you need to consider what is important to National Office and what is important to you and your group. And to me there is an obvious answer.

Ian
GPC

Post by GPC »

honesty wrote:"Humm. The AA has been around a while and, well we need a re-brand. No one knows this name anyway, and we are no longer an association. Lets drop it and get something modern, hip, and web 2.0"
"We are Motoring UK"
"Brilliant. Time for a pint"

The AA was the Automobile Association (the clue is in the initials) it went through an extensive rebranding process in the 1960's and was relaunched as the AA. Actually not many folk outside of cycling do know of the CTC.
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

Gary Cummins wrote:
honesty wrote:"Humm. The AA has been around a while and, well we need a re-brand. No one knows this name anyway, and we are no longer an association. Lets drop it and get something modern, hip, and web 2.0"
"We are Motoring UK"
"Brilliant. Time for a pint"

The AA was the Automobile Association (the clue is in the initials) it went through an extensive rebranding process in the 1960's and was relaunched as the AA. Actually not many folk outside of cycling do know of the CTC.

Automobile? Wassat? I drive a car!

The way the AA promoted their image as a set of initials, was to launch a set of useful services for members and promote them widely. Frequently seen where drivers gather (at motorway services for example) as well as (more recently of course) on-line, this 'in your face' promotion got the initials known. It didn't and doesn't matter what the initials stand for.
Cyclists Touring Club has long since changed brand to CTC, which could just as easily be used as the initials AA were. Another 'rebranding' to "We Are Cycling UK" is not going to help people recognise them unless it is accompanied by a publicity drive for the services that CTC provides (which could as easily and effectively have been done using the CTC brand - without the adverse impact on MGs).
vorsprung

Post by vorsprung »

One little problem with this rebranding is that there is already an organisation called "We are cycling" that owns the domain names "wearecycling.com" and "wearecycling.co.uk"