DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Psamathe

Re: DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

Post by Psamathe »

Philip Benstead wrote:RE-BRANDING – THE POLL OF THE ENTIRE CLUB (AGREED WORDING)

Some think “Cyclists’ Touring Club” is unappealing or non-descript. To rectify this, it was re-branded as “Cycling UK”. This brand has been criticised by many http://www.underconsideration.com/brand ... ing_uk.php In addition the acronym (‘CUK’) has disagreeable connotations and the word champion suggest competitiveness.
In my view, the consultation with the membership and implementation were dubious, with the use of survey methods lacking in intellectual rigour. I believe that with the Council required by the Chair to maintain commercial confidentiality the membership were kept in the dark.
Over time, we have adjusted our name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_UK but since 1883, it has become established in the corridors of power and the media.
We learnt at the AGM that the CEO welcomes use of the word “CLUB” and that he wishes to promote and develop the use of the “WINGED WHEEL” this seems inopportune to discard the related name. What counts is “What does CTC do for CYCLING and those who enjoy it” and to broadcast as widely as possible.
How to make “Cyclists’ Touring Club” relevant, we need to embrace the full name and incorporate a strapline that shouts out to all.
“Cyclists’ Touring Club” - The “Voice” of Cycling.

The other side will know the content of this and they will be only permitted max of 200 words.

I would say not strong and not convincing. Nowhere do you say e.g. "You should vote against this name change because ...".

I'd be writing more along the lines of:

"You should vote against this rebranding because
1. Discarding the long established reputation of the CTC will hinder what the organisation can achieve
2. The name is weak and easily confused with other different organisations
3. The obvious abbreviation has unpleasant uses and meanings.
4. The consultation was lacking and members were kept in the dark for no good reason
5. At a critical time for cycle campaigning the organisation should be focusing on campaigning not wasting limited finance and resource on PR and marketing

etc."
(Not counted the words nor checked all reasons - and example rather than a proposal).

I think it an easier style to read and less of a "discussion" on the matter. Clear "vote against" and then brief and easily understood reasons.

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

January 2016 Council Minutes.
11 Branding Review
Following a confidential detailed debate in summing up David Cox reminded Councillors this is a ‘Confidential’ session and please no leaks. This will be launched in the correct way to get the best advantage. A Risk Analysis and Launch Plan will be circulated and taken to the appropriate committee for sign off as we can’t delay this until the May Council meeting.

Dan Howard proposed the new brand and strategy be endorsed, with the proviso that the risk analysis is completed and signed off.

I'd been hoping for a little more detail on the discussions :( .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

Poll has now begun. Details in Cycle, p10. Voting papers are on the address insert.

Vote is being conducted through ERS with on-line and postal voting options. There is no proxy voting.

Vote closes 9:00am, Friday 8 July 2016.
belgiangoth

Post by belgiangoth »

I think that it would be most likely the rebrand is reversed. The inactive majority will not vote, read cycle, or feel strongly either way. The only people who feel strongly about this are the people running the charity and established ctc members. As such I would expect that following the vote we should petition to go back to the winged wheel (and ONLY the winged wheel) as our logo.
If I had a baby elephant, I would put it on a recumbent trike so that it would become invisible.
Euskadi

Post by Euskadi »

Well I am pleased there is now to be a vote. My main beef has been with the way the nature of the original club has been seemingly subverted by a small group of people. In terms of whether CTC needed to change to survive and grow to reach out to more people I think there is a valid argument. I think the for and against arguments have been given equal space, so regardless of how the vote goes I shall now be staying a member and be supporting CTC/Cycling UK. As a cycle tourist my half price membership of YHA + my discounts in YHA hostels + cycle insurance gives me what I need.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

It looks to me that each side had 200 words to put their case, page 10 of Cycle June /July 2016, however page 7 of Cycle provides an extra opportunity to add some points to the Cycling UK side. It claims 24000 bikes revived and readers may think this is from Cycling UK. It mentions £500,000 and readers may think this is because of Cycling UK but it seems a similar amount was provided before Cycling UK was suggested. It seems to me that these points may lead readers to credit Cycling UK with these results when they were already in motion before Cycling UK brand name was suggested. What do other think?
gaz

Post by gaz »

This is the second issue of Cycle to feature and make the case for the Cycling UK brand.

How many hundreds of issues of Cycle and its predecessors have there been to make the case for Cyclists' Touring Club / CTC brand?
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Page 7 says
'It was a trump card the Inland Revenue couldn't ignore after a fruitless battle trying to get Gift Aid as the CTC'

The current registration name of the club is still the Cyclist's Touring Club.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Steady rider wrote:Page 7 says
'It was a trump card the Inland Revenue couldn't ignore after a fruitless battle trying to get Gift Aid as the CTC'

The current registration name of the club is still the Cyclist's Touring Club.
it is cyclists' touring club there more than one of us
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

The £500,000 was mentioned at the AGM, so Paul Tuohy was correct I assume, not sure how much was provided last year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/speeches/big-bike-revival

So CTC gained £1million it seems, Cycling UK managed to get half.

'Changing up a gear'
should be in politics, he is stood next to the Minister.