DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Steady rider

Re: DEMAND FOR A POLL OF THE WHOLE CLUB

Post by Steady rider »

11.3 Upon receipt of the petition the Secretary shall publish in the next issue but one of the Club magazine to
be distributed after the petition shall have been lodged with him full details of the petition and
incorporate a voting slip therein specifying the date (not being less than 28 days after the date of
publication) when all votes must be received by the Secretary. When voting has closed as aforesaid the
votes shall be counted and the resolution confirmed or rescinded in accordance with the majority of
votes cast. If the voting be equally divided the resolution shall be confirmed.

"Club magazine to be distributed after the petition shall have been lodged with him full details of the petition"

Shivaji stated;
The response required is specified by the articles of association of the charity: article 11.3 requires the
details of a valid petition (one with 200 signatures) to be published ‘in the next issue but one of the Club
magazine’

The articles requires full details of the petition.

Shivaji stated;
It will be necessary to consider the most appropriate manner in which to communicate to members the
reasons for the ballot and your concerns. In doing so, the trustees must act in the best interests of the
charity as a whole.

This is an opinion and not part of the Articles.
Trustees are required to follow the articles, the articles requires full details, Trustees should try to ensure that full details of the reasons for the petition can be provided.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

Steady rider wrote:
11.3 Upon receipt of the petition the Secretary shall publish in the next issue but one of the Club magazine to
be distributed after the petition shall have been lodged with him full details of the petition and
incorporate a voting slip therein specifying the date (not being less than 28 days after the date of
publication) when all votes must be received by the Secretary. When voting has closed as aforesaid the
votes shall be counted and the resolution confirmed or rescinded in accordance with the majority of
votes cast. If the voting be equally divided the resolution shall be confirmed.

"Club magazine to be distributed after the petition shall have been lodged with him full details of the petition"

Shivaji stated;
The response required is specified by the articles of association of the charity: article 11.3 requires the
details of a valid petition (one with 200 signatures) to be published ‘in the next issue but one of the Club
magazine’

The articles requires full details of the petition.

Shivaji stated;
It will be necessary to consider the most appropriate manner in which to communicate to members the
reasons for the ballot and your concerns. In doing so, the trustees must act in the best interests of the
charity as a whole.

This is an opinion and not part of the Articles.
Trustees are required to follow the articles, the articles requires full details, Trustees should try to ensure that full details of the reasons for the petition can be provided.

I have drawn this to Shivajib plus the CTC Council attentdion

Many thanks
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
gaz

Post by gaz »

publication) when all votes must be received by the Secretary. ...

Anyone wondering how "full details of the petition" might be interpreted to appear in print need only view the entry in Cycle (foot of p.8 ) from the last time we had a Poll of the Whole Club.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

gaz wrote:

Anyone wondering how "full details of the petition" might be interpreted to appear in print need only view the entry in Cycle (foot of p.8 ) from the last time we had a Poll of the Whole Club.

The problem with that is that it implies that the wording of the original petition will simply be printed. To be honest, that came across more as a rant than a petition.
gaz

Post by gaz »

I suppose I'm trying to say that there will be a short formal statement, "the petition", followed by a summary of reasons. The wording will be along the lines of

"In accordance with the provisions of Article 11 of the CTC Articles of Association, we the undersigned members of the Cyclists’ Touring Club hereby protest against the provisions of the motion on branding passed at the Council Meeting on 23 January 2016. The wording of the motion was as follows: ‘to replace the existing “Cyclists` Touring Club or CTC” and associated logo(s) and heritage marks with “CYCLING UK” or another branding name and logo(s).’
We protest the motion on the following grounds:"

Hopefully a succinct summary of the reasons for protest will be provided.
Philip Benstead

gaz wrote:I suppose I'm trying to say that there will be a short formal statement, "the petition", followed by a summary of reasons. The wording will be along the lines of

"In accordance with the provisions of Article 11 of the CTC Articles of Association, we the undersigned members of the Cyclists’ Touring Club hereby protest against the provisions of the motion on branding passed at the Council Meeting on 23 January 2016. The wording of the motion was as follows: ‘to replace the existing “Cyclists` Touring Club or CTC” and associated logo(s) and heritage marks with “CYCLING UK” or another branding name and logo(s).’

This petition was based upon the petition for the charity vote, did everybody criticize that to this degree?

CYCLISTS’ TOURING CLUB

We the undersigned members of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC) demand a poll of the whole club ASAP in accordance with Article 11 of the Memorandum of Association of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (as amended by the AGM on 12 May 2012).

We are petitioning the CTC to demand a poll of the whole club so CTC members will have the opportunity to endorse or overturn the motion passed at CTC Council meeting on 23rd January 2016 that agreed to the replacement of the existing branding of “Cyclists` Touring Club or CTC” and associated logo(s) and heritage marks with “CYCLING UK” or another branding name and logo(s)
Philip Benstead

AndyK wrote:
gaz wrote:

The problem with that is that it implies that the wording of the original petition will simply be printed. To be honest, that came across more as a rant than a petition.

I would suggest this is a rant
AndyK wrote:
Personally I consider Sturmey Archer hub gears to be conclusive proof that pure evil exists and can manifest itself in physical form, but each to their own...
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Philip Benstead wrote:
gaz wrote:I suppose I'm trying to say that there will be a short formal statement, "the petition", followed by a summary of reasons. The wording will be along the lines of

This petition was based upon the petition for the charity vote, did everybody criticize that to this degree?

CYCLISTS’ TOURING CLUB

We the undersigned members of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (CTC) demand a poll of the whole club ASAP in accordance with Article 11 of the Memorandum of Association of the Cyclists’ Touring Club (as amended by the AGM on 12 May 2012).

We are petitioning the CTC to demand a poll of the whole club so CTC members will have the opportunity to endorse or overturn the motion passed at CTC Council meeting on 23rd January 2016 that agreed to the replacement of the existing branding of “Cyclists` Touring Club or CTC” and associated logo(s) and heritage marks with “CYCLING UK” or another branding name and logo(s)

Sorry, I think I mistook the covering note as being part of the petition wording. In my defence - and as I've said before, Philip - I do find it difficult to decipher many of your posts, especially when you just paste large amounts of text in.
AndyK

Post by AndyK »

Philip Benstead wrote:I would suggest this is a rant
AndyK wrote:
Personally I consider Sturmey Archer hub gears to be conclusive proof that pure evil exists and can manifest itself in physical form, but each to their own...

That's not a rant, it's just a simple statement of fact. 8)
Philip Benstead

As you may know I submitted a petition to CTC HQ requesting a poll of the entire club on the matter of rebranding. I have request a number of times details and timetable of the poll as of now I have not received any. I suspect the poll will consist of the question do you support the action the council on rebranding, yes or no. If that is the way it is done what is your view?

My petition requesting a poll of the entire club was based upon the petition for the charity debate.

I keep it short to avoid any confusion.

The charity vote had page for and against in the cycle magazine.

I assume i would get something similar.

But the email from the CTC legal bod suggest otherwise.

I now believe that this is the case and if the governance vote get though it is the end of the CTC, a membership organization. RIP
Philip Benstead

Great News - Rebranding Poll
Despite Shivaji Shivapadasundaram the CTC Honorary Consulting Solicitor saying he did not know what additional information that he needed to send me in regard to the poll of entire club on the subject of rebranding, it been agreed at today’s CTC Council meeting that I say have an equal number of words against as the for rebranding side. It was suggested 200 words.

I await the formal notification.

YES, YES I will get it proof read

PS I would welcome suggestions for content
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Philip Benstead wrote:Great News - Rebranding Poll
Despite Shivaji Shivapadasundaram the CTC Honorary Consulting Solicitor saying he did not know what additional information that he needed to send me in regard to the poll of entire club on the subject of rebranding, it been agreed at today’s CTC Council meeting that I say have an equal number of words against as the for rebranding side. It was suggested 200 words.

I await the formal notification.

YES, YES I will get it proof read

PS I would welcome suggestions for content

200 words is very very little.

Maybe think of bullet point format. List the points 1st, then consider what needs more detailed explaining (you will run out of words very quickly). It needs to be very easy to read so your reader understands the point rather than giving-up reading. Provide your reasons and don't get into a "CTC say ...". Focus on the rebrand issue rather than anything related (e.g. governance, management, etc.).

Think about/prioritise the points that will matter to those who are reading it - not necessarily the same points as people here think important (e.g. many members who you want to vote against the rebrand might not be keen on touring and might not regard the club heritage as being important)

I would suggest not pre-publishing your text e.g. on a forum or Facebook (as the "in favour" text could then be modified to address any strong points you raise). I'd e-mail/PM it to people confidentially for any feedback/proof reading.

Ian
Philip Benstead

RE-BRANDING – THE POLL OF THE ENTIRE CLUB (AGREED WORDING)

Some think “Cyclists’ Touring Club” is unappealing or non-descript. To rectify this, it was re-branded as “Cycling UK”. This brand has been criticised by many http://www.underconsideration.com/brand ... ing_uk.php In addition the acronym (‘CUK’) has disagreeable connotations and the word champion suggest competitiveness.
In my view, the consultation with the membership and implementation were dubious, with the use of survey methods lacking in intellectual rigour. I believe that with the Council required by the Chair to maintain commercial confidentiality the membership were kept in the dark.
Over time, we have adjusted our name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_UK but since 1883, it has become established in the corridors of power and the media.
We learnt at the AGM that the CEO welcomes use of the word “CLUB” and that he wishes to promote and develop the use of the “WINGED WHEEL” this seems inopportune to discard the related name. What counts is “What does CTC do for CYCLING and those who enjoy it” and to broadcast as widely as possible.
How to make “Cyclists’ Touring Club” relevant, we need to embrace the full name and incorporate a strapline that shouts out to all.
“Cyclists’ Touring Club” - The “Voice” of Cycling.

The other side will know the content of this and they will be only permitted max of 200 words.
Last edited by Philip Benstead on 11 May 2016, 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.
gaz

Post by gaz »

IMO (FWIW) you've put your case well.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

The following is 200 words, it adds 'without a membership vote', full 'registered' name, “Cyclists’ Touring Club” – Improving ‘Cycling’ for commuters, leisure, touring and utility cyclists.

Some think “Cyclists’ Touring Club” is unappealing. It was re-branded as “Cycling UK” without a membership vote. This brand has been criticised by many http://www.underconsideration.com/brand ... ing_uk.php. In addition the acronym (‘CUK’) has disagreeable connotations and the word champion suggest competitiveness.
In my view, the consultation with the membership and implementation were dubious, with the use of survey methods lacking in intellectual rigour. I believe that with the Council required by the Chair to maintain commercial confidentiality the membership were kept in the dark.
Over time, we have adjusted our name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cycling_UK but since 1883, it has become established in the corridors of power and the media.
We learnt at the AGM that the CEO welcomes use of the word “CLUB” and that he wishes to promote and develop the use of the “WINGED WHEEL” this seems inopportune to discard the related name. What counts is “What does CTC do for CYCLING and those who enjoy it” and to broadcast as widely as possible.
How to make “Cyclists’ Touring Club” relevant, we need to embrace the full registered name and incorporate a strapline that shouts out to all.
“Cyclists’ Touring Club” – Improving ‘Cycling’ for commuters, leisure, touring and utility (or sporting) cyclists.