Chair's statement

Discussion of the re-branding of CTC as Cycling UK.
Si

Chair's statement

Post by Si »

as before, I merely pass this on for your information...

Message from the Chair: Rebranding Update

It has been brought to my attention that CTC member and former Councillor Philip Benstead has approached local group Secretaries and other members asking for support for a poll of the whole membership about the decision to rebrand.   It is up to members whether they wish to seek a poll – the charity’s articles of association provide for a poll where 200 members wish to challenge a resolution of Council.  However, the last time we conducted a poll of the whole club, the cost of the process was approximately £14,000. In terms of what this means to our charity, that is enough to employ a staff member for over 5 months to offer full time support to Member Groups. Before you commit the charity to that expense, I would like to ensure you have a bit more background information.

What is proposed?

The document I have seen refers to the proposed re-branding in rather confused terms.  As set out in our earlier statement here, from our Chief Executive, Paul Tuohy, “Our charity will still legally be registered as the Cyclists’ Touring Club with its charity and company registrations unchanged. The Cyclists’ Touring Club is not being disbanded. In fact, part of the need for this change is because we hope the new brand will enhance our touring offering. The new name (as I’m sure many of you will now have seen) is ‘Cycling UK’ and the brand ‘we are Cycling UK’ will be adopted as a ‘trading name’ of the charity.  We are very proud of our heritage and history, and we know that a new name and brand will really help to make our charity even more attractive to many more people.”

By the nature of this information being leaked, our full rebranding has not yet been presented (only the new name and a new logo). While these both form an integral part of our new brand, they will both be used in conjunction with images and editorial in a way that conveys much more than any logo might in isolation. In fact the success of any brand is about how an organisation ‘lives and breathes’ its values through the work that it does.

What does this mean for Member Groups?

CTC Member Groups will not need to change their names, their jerseys or other aspects of their branding unless they want to.  Most Member Groups have a clear identity and touring orientation that is well recognised by local club cyclists and they will be free to maintain that identity.  It will continue to be possible to obtain classic kit and winged wheel badges – and we plan to develop further items drawing on the charity’s rich heritage.

Was the decision endorsed by Council?

Yes.  The Council meeting on 23 January resolved to accept the new name and design proposed by the professional team working to reflect the ‘brand essence’ approved by Council at an earlier meeting.

The decision came at the end of an impressively thorough process.  While some Council members were initially cautious of the jargon that can surround exercises like this, there was a near-unanimous acknowledgement that the team working with us understood CTC with all its complex heritage and exciting future – and had captured our collective desire to share the joy of cycling.

Only one Council member voted against the proposed rebrand, with 15 voting in favour.

Have steps been taken to protect the new brand?

Yes. We have conducted a robust risk-assessment, protected the new logo as a registered trade mark and taken other steps on the advice of our legal and other advisers.

What does this mean for the winged wheel?

There will be many charities who will be jealous of our rich history and such iconic assets like our winged wheel, and rightly so. We will continue to promote our heritage as a very important part of our wider brand, which will include continuing to use the winged wheel.

Who is Philip Benstead?

Philip Benstead is a long-standing CTC member, volunteer and former Council member.  He left Council with effect from 1 January this year, after a contested election in the South East region.

We are particularly disappointed that Philip has chosen to take this action because:

(i)            At the CTC Council meeting in January 2014 Philip seconded the motion to go ahead with the work on the rebranding, specifically to: ‘Agree in principle to a trading name change … ‘;

(ii)          As a former member of CTC Council Philip should understand that members of Council are obliged to accept collective responsibility, and that responsibility continues to apply in relation to decisions made while he was a trustee;

(iii)         Despite the fact that he was until the end of last year a Council member, Philip chose not to raise his concerns about the decision with Council or with the National Office team.

What next?

We will be officially launching our new name and brand in April, through Cycle magazine, our online communications channels and via the media. We will also be back in touch with you before then to provide you with new resources and guidance so that you can maximise this opportunity to raise the profile of [the charity and] your group locally, to help to attract new members and to gain local media interest.

If you have any questions, please contact the communications team on 01483 238 315.

David Cox
Chair, CTC Council

gaz

Re: Chair's statement

Post by gaz »

Si, with all these messages you are being asked to deliver is it time to change your username to Prak? :wink:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
gaz

Post by gaz »

Message from the Chair: Rebranding Update...  

CTC Member Groups will not need to change their names, their jerseys or other aspects of their branding unless they want to.  Most Member Groups have a clear identity and touring orientation that is well recognised by local club cyclists and they will be free to maintain that identity.  It will continue to be possible to obtain classic kit and winged wheel badges – and we plan to develop further items drawing on the charity’s rich heritage. ...

Many Member Groups wanted to maintain their heritage identity of "District Association" or "Section". The use of such terminology has been strongly discouraged since the noughties, perhaps a little earlier. The MG Handbook update of 2012 finally consigned both firmly to the dustbin.

I'm sure that there are MGs that would welcome a return of their heritage, I don't expect they'll be getting it.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

...However, the last time we conducted a poll of the whole club, the cost of the process was approximately £14,000. In terms of what this means to our charity, that is enough to employ a staff member for over 5 months to offer full time support to Member Groups.

I wonder how much the re-branding will be costing in relation to the £14,000.

Ian
Regulator

Post by Regulator »

The new logo and strapline is risible. I can't believe that a supposedly professional company came up with it...

...actually I can. It seems that there are always fools wanting to be parted from their money.
Philip Benstead

Post by Philip Benstead »

CTC Rebranding Chair Statement - Philip Benstead Reply

DC = David Cox
PB = Philip Benstead

This entire process reflects very badly on the CTC it has been push though, it is part of a trend which will result in power being taken away from Councillors elected the members.

DC It has been brought to my attention that CTC member and former Councillor Philip Benstead has approached local group Secretaries and other members asking for support for a poll of the whole membership about the decision to rebrand. It is up to members whether they wish to seek a poll – the charity’s articles of association provide for a poll where 200 members wish to challenge a resolution of Council.
PB Yes that is correct

DC However, the last time we conducted a poll of the whole club, the cost of the process was approximately £14,000. In terms of what this means to our charity, that is enough to employ a staff member for over 5 months to offer full time support to Member Groups.
PB That works out has £33,000 over one year with additional add on costs comes to £66,000 per year. Is that a cast iron comments? I think not

DC Before you commit the charity to that expense, I would like to ensure you have a bit more background information.
PB How much did four lots of consultants cost when you combined the rebranding with the governance process.
What is proposed?
CTC Council at least have no background information only executive committee has any information even though the Executive committee is not a policy making body, it is exceeding it authority

DC The document I have seen refers to the proposed re-branding in rather confused terms. As set out in our earlier statement here, from our Chief Executive, Paul Tuohy, “Our charity will still legally be registered as the Cyclists’ Touring Club with its charity and company registrations unchanged. The Cyclists’ Touring Club is not being disbanded. In fact, part of the need for this change is because we hope the new brand will enhance our touring offering.
PB What evidence has been supplied to back up this statement?

DC The new name (as I’m sure many of you will now have seen) is ‘Cycling UK’ and the brand ‘we are Cycling UK’ will be adopted as a ‘trading name’ of the charity.
PB There a number of cycling related organisations that have very similar names this will cause confusion

DC We are very proud of our heritage and history, and we know that a new name and brand will really help to make our charity even more attractive to many more people.”
PB Why get rid of a name that is know all over the world, it not what you call yourself but what you do and how you market yourself.

DC By the nature of this information being leaked, our full rebranding has not yet been presented (only the new name and a new logo).
Yes, but nor have the Councillors seen the full information. This show how the council is being kept in the dark even though they are legally responsible.

DC While these both form an integral part of our new brand, they will both be used in conjunction with images and editorial in a way that conveys much more than any logo might in isolation.
PB Why can’t you use this with the existing name? In fact, CTC publicity is lackluster, we appear not to be able to publish our own rides and events in efficient manner.

DC In fact the success of any brand is about how an organisations ‘lives and breathes’ its values through the work that it does.
PB It not about imagers what counts is what we do, we do not publish our self enough, there has been no suggestion of setting up special groups similar to how the ramblers improve intake of memebers

DC CTC Member Groups will not need to change their names, their jerseys or other aspects of their branding unless they want to. Most Member Groups have a clear identity and touring orientation that is well recognised by local club cyclists and they will be free to maintain that identity. It will continue to be possible to obtain classic kit and winged wheel badges – and we plan to develop further items drawing on the charity’s rich heritage.

PB That was not reported at the January 2016 council meeting, are the powers that be are frighten?

Was the decision endorsed by Council?

DC Yes. The Council meeting on 23 January resolved to accept the new name and design proposed by the professional team working to reflect the ‘brand essence’ approved by Council at an earlier meeting.
PB Yes but what the consultants told use was self-evidence but upon closer reading the numbers in some cases do not add up.

DC The decision came at the end of an impressively thorough process. While some Council members were initially cautious of the jargon that can surround exercises like this, there was a near-unanimous acknowledgement that the team working with us understood CTC with all its complex heritage and exciting future – and had captured our collective desire to share the joy of cycling.
PB The decision was made after I left the council

DC Only One Council member voted against the proposed rebrand, with 15 voting in favour.
PB It shows how the council has been ground into submission, I know I have the support of five serving CTC Councillors and some ex councils including an ex chair of council. They are disgusted how this process has been carried out.
Have steps been taken to protect the new brand?

DC Yes. We have conducted a robust risk-assessment, protected the new logo as a registered trade mark and taken other steps on the advice of our legal and other advisers.
PB What about the similar named cycling organisations, that will cause confusion

What does this mean for the winged wheel?

There will be many charities who will be jealous of our rich history and such iconic assets like our winged wheel, and rightly so. We will continue to promote our heritage as a very important part of our wider brand, which will include continuing to use the winged wheel.

Who is Philip Benstead?

Philip Benstead is a long-standing CTC member, volunteer and former Council member. He left Council with effect from 1 January this year, after a contested election in the South East region.

DC We are particularly disappointed that Philip has chosen to take this action because:
PB I have the support of many current Councillors

DC (I) At the CTC Council meeting in January 2014 Philip seconded the motion to go ahead with the work on the rebranding, specifically to: ‘Agree in principle to a trading name change … ‘;
PB Yes in principal but the case has not been made I want something like “CTC …………..”

DC (ii) As a former member of CTC Council Philip should understand that members of Council are obliged to accept collective responsibility, and that responsibility continues to apply in relation to decisions made while he was a trustee;
PB The decision was made after I left the council
DC (iii) Despite the fact that he was until the end of last year a Council member, Philip chose not to raise his concerns about the decision with Council or with the National Office team.
PB I express my view on this and other matters concerning governance. I was either ignored ridiculed by the chair or not recorded in the minutes even when pointed out to correct the minutes these were reject even when submitted by other Councillors.
What next?

We will be officially launching our new name and brand in April, through Cycle magazine, our online communications channels and via the media. We will also be back in touch with you before then to provide you with new resources and guidance so that you can maximise this opportunity to raise the profile of [the charity and] your group locally, to help to attract new members and to gain local media interest.

If you have any questions, please contact the communications team on 01483 238 315.

David Cox
Chair, CTC Council
Last edited by Philip Benstead on 2 Mar 2016, 3:53pm, edited 1 time in total.
Philip Benstead | Life Member Former CTC Councillor/Trustee
Organizing events and representing cyclists' in southeast since 1988
Bikeability Instructor/Mechanic
gaz

Post by gaz »

Philip Benstead wrote:... There a number of cycling related organisations that have very similar names this will cause confusion
What about the similar named cycling organisations, that will cause confusion ...

You seem to be unconcerned about promoting the similarly named Touring Cyclist Club, presumably because you feel that what the organisation stands for is more important than its name.

Philip Benstead wrote:... it not what you call yourself but what you do and how you market yourself. ...

Your petition is about the change of name, which admitedly will have an effect on how CTC/Cycling UK markets iteself. The petition is not about what CTC/Cycling UK will do, our Charitable Objects are unchanged.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The Cyclists Touring Club is about disappear forever.
There are 2 choices, accept it or reform a version of the club that mirrors the original version.

If you are unhappy with the current state of the politics then we must form a club that provides touring cyclists with the traditional support and events of the now gone, CTC.

Vote with your heart and your wheels ....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
smuggers

Post by smuggers »

The more I read, the more disillusioned I'm becoming with the people making decisions. I will not be renewing my membership next year & just glad I didn't become a life member, when I had the choice too.. They talk about the CTC not losing it's heritage and credibility, by commenting how much the history & heritage means to them !! This is just talk & their attempt to reassure us. Scary how this all thing is being handled & I'm not surprised by the bad blood & ill feelings between members. I will continue to use the Forum, but will not be reading anymore about the brand refresh. As for the new name & logo, well it saddens me & makes me feel depressed.
When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. --H.G. Wells
merseymouth

Post by merseymouth »

Hi There, Why do members have to keep re-visiting silly actions from those charged with running our long established body?
Having started out as the BTC, the club realized the issues over excluding tricycle riding cyclists, yet it is not that long ago the I had to take Kevin Mayne to task!
"Keeping you on two wheels", that was the strapline!!!!
I told him I would only re-join the CTC if that went, it did, I kept my pledge.
Now with a new head we appear to be rushing towards the abyss?
The sadness for me is worsened by the fact that I have 4 years of a 5 year membership to go! You've had my money, now they're changing the product, with unpalatable ingredients.
It's bad enough when riders are said to be on their bike, whilst sitting on a three wheel machine!
What do I do with all of my CTC branded stuff? £100 winter jacket?? Silver CTC Badges???
A friend offered a good comment - "Is it going to be "Consignia" re-visited?". Answer on a postcard! MM
beardy

Post by beardy »

What do I do with all of my CTC branded stuff? £100 winter jacket?? Silver CTC Badges???

Keep wearing it.
There isnt any directive from "above" for sections to change their kit.
and if there was, it would just be (rightly) totally ignored. :mrgreen:
robgul

Post by robgul »

merseymouth wrote:Hi There, Why do members have to keep re-visiting silly actions from those charged with running our long established body?
Having started out as the BTC, the club realized the issues over excluding tricycle riding cyclists, yet it is not that long ago the I had to take Kevin Mayne to task!
"Keeping you on two wheels", that was the strapline!!!!
I told him I would only re-join the CTC if that went, it did, I kept my pledge.
Now with a new head we appear to be rushing towards the abyss?
The sadness for me is worsened by the fact that I have 4 years of a 5 year membership to go! You've had my money, now they're changing the product, with unpalatable ingredients.
It's bad enough when riders are said to be on their bike, whilst sitting on a three wheel machine!
A friend offered a good comment - "Is it going to be "Consignia" re-visited?". Answer on a postcard! MM

Ask to cancel your membership and for a refund on the unexpired part ... I did for the reasons of being disillusioned and disappointed ... and got 8/12ths of my money back within 2 days.

[Have to confess I was amazed - with some irony I got a copy of the mag the next day]

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:The Cyclists Touring Club is about disappear forever.

While you may be right on a national level, a different story in my local area where it's very much alive and well.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

merseymouth wrote:...
The sadness for me is worsened by the fact that I have 4 years of a 5 year membership to go! You've had my money, now they're changing the product, with unpalatable ingredients....

Others in the same position have cancelled their membership and had a pro-rata refund. The advantage of that (apart from not paying for what you don't want) is that it makes the organisation aware f the dissatisfaction.

Ian
robgul

Post by robgul »

Psamathe wrote:
merseymouth wrote:...
The sadness for me is worsened by the fact that I have 4 years of a 5 year membership to go! You've had my money, now they're changing the product, with unpalatable ingredients....

Others in the same position have cancelled their membership and had a pro-rata refund. The advantage of that (apart from not paying for what you don't want) is that it makes the organisation aware f the dissatisfaction.

Ian

I wouldn't be so sure about that - I sent an email - got an email back asking for bank details - got the money. Zilch attempt at "customer retention"

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker